Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS Update - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS Update

123457»

Comments

• Despite all this, my domains are still broken after a week of a ticket. I made a ticket that I couldn't change the glue records, then I got a response that was the same they sent out to everyone about the VPSes, despite it being on a totally different topic. Then, I replied and mentioned it, so they escalated the ticket, then responded a day later asking what I needed them changed to, despite the fact that information was in the original ticket. Then, I got another response saying "Thank you we will take care of this asap." This was on tuesday, three days ago, and I still don't know why it isn't working or why my domain is broken. If there is a problem with getting it fixed, okay, but really, I'd like to be informed.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2013

@nikcub said:
    They are very popular in the tech startup scene and everybody speaks very highly of them. I've had dozens of servers and never had a problem. That is not to say that they don't have a problem - but it is in a different realm to having your data leak and server removed for a week at a time twice a year.

RamNode, for example, offers a higher quality server, more stable uptime, better support, etc. for almost the same price.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2013

@perennate, you realize the same exact thing happened to them just 2 weeks ago correct?

@Nryder, you could not be more wrong and are just as bad as upsetcvps. At least post relevant info if you are going to try and bash a company.

You Said:

"False Advertising They said they got "Weekly Backups" of your VPS but that is ONLY if you are lucky enough that the node you are in has been configured to have WORKING backups."

How are we false advertising when we do in fact take weekly backups? Is it really that hard to understand that SolusVM stores the FTP backup server passwords and the hacker got to SOME of our backups and got corrupted.

As for Central Backup, thats another SolusVM issue that has always been knows as the panel will say "Completed" but actually has not and ends up being corrupted.

That being said, we are looking to move away from SolusVM because this is the second time this has happened.

I cant change your opinion, but all I ask is that you post information that is at least true and not one sided just to make us look bad.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

Back on topic, we have tickets under control again and normal service shall resume.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

@CVPS_Chris said:
    perennate, you realize the same exact thing happened to them just 2 weeks ago correct?

I was comparing to Digital Ocean, if that wasn't clear...

• Jawa78Jawa78 Member

I figured I put in my two cents now. I picked up the CVPS deal via slickdeals about two weeks before the hack. So here are my impressions love them hate them they are what they are.

1. I get great latency out of Atlanta nodes back to my production servers at 56 Marietta . Woot direct trunking 0.4 ms response times
    2. I do alot of compiling big projects like Freeswitch.
    3. I dont have an issue with performance. Weather the server is completely over sold as some would say or not I quite happy with what 40 dollars a year bought me in that aspect. No complaints.

What I did not like

1. Support stinks
    2. I could not understand how I could Buy a new test server from dell , config it send it up to ATL and have it plugged in faster than me begging Chris just give me a stock debian install screw my data I have my own backups.
    3. Chris spending more time fighting the trolls and the negative comments here and at vps board. INSTEAD OF WORKING ON GETTING EVERYTHING BACK UP AND WORKING.
    4. I am alittle annoyed over yesterday power issue in ATL and found my vps off and I had to power it back on via the website.

Just my two cents

Thanked by 1webflier
  • Jawa78Jawa78 Member

@CVPS_Chris ,

Is there something going on my node is offline again and get seem to log into your site?

• MunMun Member

@Jawa78 said:
    CVPS_Chris ,

Is there something going on my node is offline again and get seem to log into your site?

They got hit by a rather large storm last night, soooo I think a good chunk of the DC went down.

Mun

• FragReadyFragReady Member
    edited June 2013

When systems are compromised, or hacked, as such happened at ChicagpVPS. You need to remember that the staff is working as hard as they can to get everyone back online.

I've seen people go off on Chris and his staff in this thread, however, it's fair t say ChicagoVPS was doing everything in their ability to please everyone, and get everything back online.

I do not think Chris and his staff was sitting on their chair laughing at this chaos. They want to keep your business, they're gonna work on returning service as soon as possible.

Over the years, I have dealt with Chris in a professional capacity, and it's fair to say that he and his team are dedicated to providing quality services.

I do not think anyone here, including myself, besides Chris and his staff truly understand the lengths of this ordeal.

When this all went down, I'm sure Chris could've said, we start from scratch you'll need to order new, and will not get anything back.. Which people would have complained.

Instead, his team worked on returning everyones previous service. I am unsure if 100% got their stuff back, but it seems that most people did. It takes time to return service to so many clients, and I think the ChicagoVPS team should be commended for their efforts to bring normal service back as quickly as they could.

That is all,

Marcus

• It's been about a week now, and my server is up, except when it's down and doesn't reboot, but if it's storms, that's a temporary issue. Assuming that automatically rebooting on power restoration gets worked out.

Last I've heard of them officially commenting on compensation was in report #9, where it was said "I will make a decision tonight about compesation and release another email in the morning." (The typo made it more fun to search my e-mails for it.)

Has anyone gotten any updates on this?

• @FragReady How do you know they're working hard or hardly working?

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

@morninglris Put yourself in the same position!

• @key900 compae cvps's communication to clients to Ramnode...

I understand that very well but we have to give some room for them to work and not just attack, I know too that there are some negatives, but let's not forget the positive also.
    I hope everything is ok with them now.

• @MorningIris said:
    FragReady How do you know they're working hard or hardly working?

Well, I mean... If you're a business, and your clients are offline now.. How do you think you would proceed? Say screw it, and let the clients complain and leave, or continue to make money off them and fix it?

I guess common sense tells you that a company that has an issue like this, would work quickly to resolve the issues.

As Chris has shown with updates, they continued to work on this matter.

Personal attacks on him and his company, seem to be a major role in this thread now, for a reason that is beyond me.

• compare cvps's communication to clients to Ramnode...

How about we just compare their network performance and VPS performance, which is the primary reason I'm canceling one of my CVPS VPS's. :)

my soon to be canceled $1/month 256MB VPS at CVPS Los Angeles

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 V2 @ 3.50GHz
    Number of cores : 1
    CPU frequency :  3500.267 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 256 MB
    Total amount of swap : 0 MB
    System uptime :   10 days, 14:22,       
    Download speed from CacheFly: 9.88MB/s 
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA:  
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 1.86MB/s 
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 550KB/s 
    Download speed from i3d.net, NL: 391KB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 390KB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 342KB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 2.24MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 6.22MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 910KB/s 
    I/O speed :  108 MB/s

its replacement, a $2.50/month 256MB VPS at RamNode Seattle

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 0 @ 2.30GHz
    Number of cores : 1
    CPU frequency :  2300.160 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 256 MB
    Total amount of swap : 256 MB
    System uptime :   9:33,       
    Download speed from CacheFly: 39.5MB/s 
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA:  
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 55.7MB/s 
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 6.85MB/s 
    Download speed from i3d.net, NL: 1.04MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 553KB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 6.37MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 40.4MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 80.5MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 44.6MB/s 
    I/O speed :  661 MB/s

Letbox said "Put yourself in the same position!"

Put yourself in the same position as their customers. Why should the customers sit around and put their businesses on hold waiting for CVPS when there are other providers who can offer better performance and reliability?

edited June 2013

@DomainBop If i'm in the same position i will work more harder at last setup quick refresh VPS, I believe i can be more faster than they do to setup new refresh VPS. If each Staff work on one node I imagine how fast this will be.

Edit: Also the problem has become in the past now and I hope they will handle future issue better of that.

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited June 2013

@DomainBop - I see your point, but you'll be paying 2.5 what you're paying with CVPS, for >2.5 the performance so that's good. But another thing to consider is the number of nodes/vps CVPS has compared to Ramnode, and therefore the extent of the work that CVPS has to do to get things back to an even keel. After all CVPS have been hacked, how was their performance/customer service before that happened?