Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hows R1Soft? Looking for cPanel Backup Solution
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hows R1Soft? Looking for cPanel Backup Solution

Jamie_DreamITJamie_DreamIT Member, Host Rep

Hey guys,

We're kinda over JetBackup and looking for alternatives. I've rounded it down to the following:
1. R1Soft
2. Acronis
3. Clusterlogics (Bacula4Hosts)

Wanted to reach out to any existing R1 Soft providers and to see if the MySQL issue is still around.

From what I understand...

R1Soft: MySQL used to crash, fast, uses the least amount of storage
Acronis: Pricing is expensive, fastest in recovery
Clusterlogics: Not much but uses higher than average amount of storage

Thanked by 1snickerpop
Recommended Backup Solution
  1. What Backup Software for cPanel28 votes
    1. R1 Soft
      17.86%
    2. Acronis
      10.71%
    3. Clusterlogics
        3.57%
    4. JetBackup
      67.86%

Comments

• ExpertVMExpertVM Member, Host Rep

Mind sharing why you give up JetBackup?

We do use r1soft for our shared hosting platform, basically we don't rely on R1Soft for database backup, we dump the SQL on account based using script.

• R1Soft used to be good, with only a few issues. They let script kiddies loose on the interface and is now a total abomination, IMHO. If they'd spent as much effort resolving some of the underlying issues, such as disc space allocation post vacuum, then it would be the "killer app".
    I've never had any issues backing up mySQL but I also use WHM account backups to generate dumps. Belt & Braces.

• Jamie_DreamITJamie_DreamIT Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2018

ExpertVM said: Mind sharing why you give up JetBackup?

I found that job's just take to long on high-density servers. Plus when you have multiple servers, it becomes a huge pain with managing.

I've reached out to them, central-management was due to come Q1 2018 but is currently MIA. I've been making things go by having multiple jobs run concurrently, (a-j,k-z) but just not working.

edited October 2018

Everything I've read about Clusterlogic's sounds great but their website is full of broken links and has 10% of the documentation as R1 Soft... Their support has been good with answering questions.

Also quite tempted with Acronis as it integrates directly into Imunify360 which we've recently deployed.

• @Jamie_DreamIT said:

I found that job's just take to long on high-density servers. Plus when you have multiple servers, it becomes a huge pain with managing.

I've reached out to them, central-management was due to come Q1 2018 but is currently MIA. I've been making things go by having multiple jobs run concurrently, (a-j,k-z) but just not working.

Just to add about Jetbackup: I reached out to them with a reproducible bug with restoring databases. They denied it being a problem for about 3 weeks before finally admitting it was reproducible. All they wanted was to continually get the root login of my cPanel box to troubleshoot. I had to deny them this at least 15 times. I'm pretty disappointed with JetBackup in this regards but for the price, it does perform admirably. I'm still waiting for this fix though...

• I recently had a problem updating JetBackup to v4. They kept asking me for root login to diagnose, which I denied continually as didn’t see why they would need it. Eventually they gave me the commands to run which I did and after updating it didn’t migrate my backups correctly. Luckily this was a test server and not production so the actual backup files didn’t matter that much.

• AndreiGhesiAndreiGhesi Member
    edited October 2018

Ha> @Jamie_DreamIT said:

Ha, ha, ha

R1soft takes 3x the time in comparison with jetbackup. I moved away from r1soft because I don't need a 16h job to make a backup of the modified files, Jetbackup takes only 6h for the same amount of data. Also r1soft will f. you up when you don't espect it if you try to restore a database.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2018

Our time with r1soft was pretty bad. We had a lot of issues where backups wouldn't run, or wouldn't complete. The panel would sometimes break and users couldn't login, etc. I likely the idea of it and loved the user single file restores, but it just wasn't worth the constant headache.

Ultimately they stopped allowing people to resell the licenses and they weren't returning my emails to get things directly.

We use jetbackup now but for some reason they sold their souls to the devil and require mongoDB on their newest builds.

Francisco

• bruzlibruzli Member, LIR

JetBackup increased prices recently from 3.95 to $5.95 but at least for now old licenses keep the old price

• @Francisco said:
    Our time with r1soft was pretty bad. We had a lot of issues where backups wouldn't run, or wouldn't complete. The panel would sometimes break and users couldn't login, etc. I likely the idea of it and loved the user single file restores, but it just wasn't worth the constant headache.

Francisco

I've to agree with Francisco here and R1Soft backup is also quite slow to work with in terms of speed while browsing through a restore point.

Another disadvantage with R1Soft is that you can't run like any kernel either to use it and it requires a supported kernel. Only mainstream kernels in general are supported and you can't just compile your own to use with the R1 agent.

• @Prime404 said:

Another disadvantage with R1Soft is that you can't run like any kernel either to use it and it requires a supported kernel. Only mainstream kernels in general are supported and you can't just compile your own to use with the R1 agent.

IIRC, I needed to compile for kernel changes about 7years ago, though haven't for at least 5years. Centos 6/WHM ie. you could compile at one point in the past.

• @AlwaysSkint said:
    IIRC, I needed to compile for kernel changes about 7years ago, though haven't for at least 5years. Centos 6/WHM ie. you could compile at one point in the past.

They did offer support for it in the past for sure, but as far I'm concerned it's no longer supported by them.

• Anyone here using Clusterlogics (Bacula4Hosts) ?
    Their pricing model is kinda confusing ..
    Plus seems like lack of information on their site. Its really hard to understand their setup.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

JetBackup is great solution, better that cPanel integrated solution.

• @Francisco said:

Ultimately they stopped allowing people to resell the licenses and they weren't returning my emails to get things directly.

We use jetbackup now but for some reason they sold their souls to the devil and require mongoDB on their newest builds.

Francisco

What's the issue with MongoDB?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

desfire said: What's the issue with MongoDB?

It's just a big cow of an application for it. It's not uncommon for me to see it spike well past 100% CPU for a little bit when backups are running.

Francisco

• R1Soft still have massive issues with databases :-) I wouldn't go down that road :-)

I use JetBackup 4 on all servers, and haven't had a problem with it - and it's plenty faster than JetBackup 3.x, and R1Soft for that matter.

@Jamie_DreamIT said:

What is "high-density" in your eyes?

@Jamie_DreamIT said:

They stopped all development on all products but JetBackup for some time, to finish the rewrite of JetBackup - thus delayed all other products (including central management). It will be there and if you want, their notify API makes it super simple to get info about backup jobs and align them as well.

• JetBackup +1

• Zerpy said: They stopped all development on all products but JetBackup for some time, to finish the rewrite of JetBackup - thus delayed all other products (including central management). It will be there and if you want, their notify API makes it super simple to get info about backup jobs and align them as well.

Hello @Zerpy,
    We apologize for the delays on the release of our Central Management Console! JetBackup Central Management will be nearing final development in Q1 2019, and remains very popular as our 2nd most requested feature! We have been diligently working on JetBackup 4.x which was recently released; JetBackup 4 includes a brand new UI, Smart Account Filters, GDPR Mode, Custom Hooks, among many performance improvements.
    Thank you for your patience while we are working to expand and improve upon our product offerings.

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

We use JetBackup, personally I preferred the setup of version 3. You kinda knew where you stood.

I’m stilll a bit concerned about the whole key backup issue and feel there should be a button in WHM to download and restore the key after a system failure.

I also don’t like the folder backup system. I preferred the server hostname instead of random letters and numbers as you knew where you were when it came to disaster recovery.

Hopefully time will help. I have enabled cPanel backups as well offsite as a precaution as well as jet backup just in case.

Hey guys.

Been testing ClusterLogic's Bacula4 recently. Work's quite well.

Test cPanel server: 389 accounts over 1.5TB utilisation

Initial backup compressed the backups into 1.1TB. I have bi-hourly backups which take 30 minutes to run, these backups are compressed into roughly 4-7GB each. I'm sure these backups would have completed faster if compression was disabled.

Documentation & Support: Eh, it's alright. Heaps of broken links but their support replies to tickets quite quickly. Really bare-bones mainly due to the renaming of the domain, not as much documentation as Acronis or R1 Soft.

Portal: Centralised is great, easy to see storage pools, which servers are backing up and which jobs are running/failed. Only con is that the time is in EST and we're based in AEST, can be fixed by moving to self-hosted, but not really worth it at this stage. Haven't tested the bare metal recovery yet.

cPanel: Integration is simple, easy, a bit slow but thats alright. Not as detailed or feature-full as JetBackup but works fine. I was advised that it will be integrating into Imunify360, which is neat.

Pricing: Pretty reasonable, portal (hosted by them) is $10 per month, add $14 for dedis or $8 for VPS's. You can add extra cloud-hosted storage by them for $0.10/GB. Self-hosted is $150 per month, $15 for dedis and $10 for VPS's.

Managed to get decent pricing for Acronis that's cheaper than Bacula4 and JetBackup, so will be testing that soon.

• JetBackup is making some shit lately tho.. I have one server that I will split in two, I will obviously instll JetBackup in the second server and I will be using the same storage server for both servers as I have enough space to run it..

Then, the easiest method would be to move such account's backups to the new folder for the new server backups so you do not have to run backups for the first time (a lot of time consuming if you have big accounts) so now it is not possible to do so, I told them that did not make much sense and they will do it for me this time around but will not be possible for next version release.

I've been using it for years and I have moved sites between my servers and moving folders to other JetBackup's installation making it SO easy, but since now on that won't be possible.. dick move if you ask me.

• @desfire said:
    JetBackup is making some shit lately tho.. I have one server that I will split in two, I will obviously instll JetBackup in the second server and I will be using the same storage server for both servers as I have enough space to run it..

Then, the easiest method would be to move such account's backups to the new folder for the new server backups so you do not have to run backups for the first time (a lot of time consuming if you have big accounts) so now it is not possible to do so, I told them that did not make much sense and they will do it for me this time around but will not be possible for next version release.

I've been using it for years and I have moved sites between my servers and moving folders to other JetBackup's installation making it SO easy, but since now on that won't be possible.. dick move if you ask me.

It is still possible to do, you can move the directories and copy the mongoDB database to the new server, update a few values and call it a day - or do like most people do, just let backups run anyway and "lose" the old ones (keep them around if you like), you can still restore them manually if it would actually be required for customers to ever have to go back in time.

Fortunately restoring something manual in JetBackup is pretty much a one-liner.

To restore a DB: import the sql dump
    To restore files: Select the files and scp them to the webserver
    To restore a full account: rsync the "backup snapshot" to the webserver and run /scripts/restorepkg directly on the snapshot (no need to compress it beforehand) - it's very unlikely you'll get a ton of restore requests, usually when people need to restore, they restore only 1-2 days back.

• @Zerpy said:

@desfire said:
    JetBackup is making some shit lately tho.. I have one server that I will split in two, I will obviously instll JetBackup in the second server and I will be using the same storage server for both servers as I have enough space to run it..

It is still possible to do, you can move the directories and copy the mongoDB database to the new server, update a few values and call it a day - or do like most people do, just let backups run anyway and "lose" the old ones (keep them around if you like), you can still restore them manually if it would actually be required for customers to ever have to go back in time.

Fortunately restoring something manual in JetBackup is pretty much a one-liner.

To restore a DB: import the sql dump
    To restore files: Select the files and scp them to the webserver
    To restore a full account: rsync the "backup snapshot" to the webserver and run /scripts/restorepkg directly on the snapshot (no need to compress it beforehand) - it's very unlikely you'll get a ton of restore requests, usually when people need to restore, they restore only 1-2 days back.

They have told me that in the next release it won't be possible. Backing everything again, if we talk about let's say it 4-5TB would take around a day -if not more, depending on the storage server- which consumes server resources, when you could have it done by just moving some folders within seconds via SSH. Thing is.. with each upgrade there is something that makes the customer works more whene it should be quite the opposite.

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited October 2018

Wait a minute .... does in version 4 do not have the possibility to manually generate client backup in cpanel format from snaps with tar ?

It really helpful for SHTF scenario when you always have 1-3 clients which cannot wait for server restoration and demand for backups to be provided and threat to open threads to forums if that do not happened

Lack of that options create this long shitstorm threads at WHT forums, for providers that uses r1

P.S if backups are encrypted with keys and key cannot be switched off you can overwrite freshly upgraded server with same key but I'm still on version 3 so i cannot tell if that will work

• @coolice said:
    **Wait a minute .... does in version 4 do not have the possibility to manually generate client backup in cpanel format from snaps with tar ? **

It really helpful for SHTF scenario when you always have 1-3 clients which cannot wait for server restoration and demand for backups to be provided and threat to open threads to forums if that do not happened

Lack of that options create this long shitstorm threads at WHT forums, for providers that uses r1

P.S if backups are encrypted with keys and key cannot be switched off you can overwrite freshly upgraded server with same key but I'm still on version 3 so i cannot tell if that will work

Yes, you can do that. What you will not be able to do is, for example, you had 6 servers and some of them are a bit overloaded so you order a new one, once you move sites from 1-6 servers from 7th if you have all backups in the same server, with version 3 you just need to go to each server backup folder and move accounts folders to the 7th new folder, then re-index jetbackup and voilá! all backups there so the next time it runs it will run incremental as always, instead of creating the backup from zero, saving a lot of time.

That will not be possible, what you say, it will (as far as I know)

• @desfire said:
    They have told me that in the next release it won't be possible. Backing everything again, if we talk about let's say it 4-5TB would take around a day -if not more, depending on the storage server- which consumes server resources, when you could have it done by just moving some folders within seconds via SSH. Thing is.. with each upgrade there is something that makes the customer works more whene it should be quite the opposite.

Version 4 can move it around, it just needs a bit of work :-)

Most likely you won't actually need to back up 4-5TB of data in first run, depending on your exclude list (such as cpmove-* files for example), you'll save plenty of disk space.

@coolice said:
    Wait a minute .... does in version 4 do not have the possibility to manually generate client backup in cpanel format from snaps with tar ?

It's still in the cpmove format, so you can tar it up, and send to a customer, or just restorepkg directly on the given snapshot.

• @Zerpy said:

@desfire said:

Version 4 can move it around, it just needs a bit of work :-)

Most likely you won't actually need to back up 4-5TB of data in first run, depending on your exclude list (such as cpmove-* files for example), you'll save plenty of disk space.

@coolice said:

It's still in the cpmove format, so you can tar it up, and send to a customer, or just restorepkg directly on the given snapshot.

Yeah I already have a lot of exlude list

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited October 2018

I took one for the team :) just upgraded one of mine small servers from 3 to 4 to see what is the difference

Situation before

It has a broken mysql table and do not clear cache, but upgrade process runned...

I use dual backup destinations with dual backups It somehow messed up during upgrade so both jobs become set to same one backup destination and upgrade process only found half of backups, (which are on the first location ) :)

(I'm sure setup was not such and I backup on both destinations even with the broken mysql table) as I
    have this afternoon backup snaps to second location....

that issue before was easy fixable with clear cache

but now

jetcli backup -vfR clearcache
    jetcli: ***********************
    --run clearcache has been deprecated.

and the fix was the procedure similar to what @desfire mention to do by just moving files between folders for the new server

:) I can only imagin shitsorm support request which will happened around new year when version 3 EOL... :)

@JetApps can we have clear cache working it will save you a lot of support requests

How we mention it is usable for restorations and also for importing backups from couple of servers to one server...

You had superior product in version 3 that worked even broken :) but now version 4 restricting us to be able to work :)

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited October 2018

Also version 4 is missing option to set
    Remote folder on destination:

At Jobs

It was usable option too

How ever I workaround it by running backup job for seconds to create it strange path jetbackup_1_1_5bd60dfec901dc016872cf5c

and So I then delete it and mv the old accounts folder to replace this name ...

Now If clear cache is working my issue will be easy fixed and desfire will be able to move multiple accounts between servers

My hands are squeezing to see what will happened if I run the job now but it is almost time for my nightly to other location which is working ok so I'll maybe left that for tomorrow morning