Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tiny Tiny RSS VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Tiny Tiny RSS VPS

BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
edited June 2013 in General

I'm looking for a VPS which is suitable for Tiny Tiny RSS
I have never used this before, and i also have no idea how much RAM/Memory it uses

Anyone here running Tiny Tiny RSS?, if so, could you tell me how much it's using?

Thanked by 1flrichar

Comments

• wdqwdq Member

I have mine on a 256MB Hostigation VPS. It runs well with a few other websites on the VPS. If your VPS can run a web application stack it should work well for Tiny Tiny RSS as well.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Note: I haven't actually used tt-rss. I'm deriving this from the experience I've had with PHP, MySQL and PostgreSQL in general.

PHP scripts can be quite light on RAM. If you assume a lighttpd/nginx stack with PHP (without a database), you'd be able to run a light-weight script on 128 or perhaps 256MB RAM with an out-of-the-box configuration, without any performance or resources usage tweaks. That includes handling reasonable traffic peaks.

Now the bottleneck here is going to be the database.

From my (admittedly very limited) experience with PostgreSQL, it appears to be heavier on CPU, slightly heavier on RAM usage, but a lot faster than MySQL. If speed is not a critical factor, I'd advise you to go with MySQL (unless someone else here knows more about PostgreSQL and can explain how to make it run lighter than MySQL, especially since tt-rss requires InnoDB support in MySQL).

Looking at a lighttpd + PHP + MySQL setup that I have running that gets a pretty standard amount of traffic most of the time, MySQL appears to be using about 34MB of RAM - this is on a Xen VPS. On OpenVZ burst you'll see much higher usage (in the regions of 100-300MB), on a vSwap kernel you should probably see usage similar to the 34MB I described above.

As a minimum to run tt-rss off, I'd therefore recommend running it with MySQL and lighttpd/nginx on a non-OpenVZ-burst VPS with at least 256MB of RAM. 384+ if you can get away with it, to have some breathing space. Less than 256 if you don't mind tweaking around to decrease resource usage :)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2013

It needs either Postgres or MySQL+InnoDB;

I have no idea how much RAM Postgres would use, but for MySQL with InnoDB you could probably fit in 256 MB without resorting to any low-ram tuning/hacks; and with 512MB you can certainly run it with no issues and plenty of RAM left.

Or use a provider which offers MySQL Offload (database hosted on a different host in the same LAN), I know e.g. Prometeus and TORQhost have it. With no MySQL running on your VPS, you will need much less RAM, for just nginx/lighttpd+PHP, 128 MB or even less will be enough.

• @wdq @joepie91 i'm running a simple clan site on a 128mb VPS (~40mb usage total) is tt-rss lighter then SMF? Or is it heavier because it needs to grab content from other sites?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2013

MySQL appears to be using about 34MB of RAM

Remove "skip-innodb" (which tt-rss requires that you do), and it will instantly add ~50-100 MB to your MySQL RAM usage.

• wdqwdq Member

@joodle said:
    wdq joepie91 i'm running a simple clan site on a 128mb VPS (~40mb usage total) is tt-rss lighter then SMF? Or is it heavier because it needs to grab content from other sites?

A lot of that is up to how many feeds you have, and how much is being posted on the feeds. My VPS is only using up 187MB right now and I have 24 feeds being updated every five minutes. I used the Minstall script to setup Nginx/MySQL/PHP.

• @wdq any idea how much bandwidth it uses?

• wdqwdq Member

@joodle said:
    wdq any idea how much bandwidth it uses?

SolusVM shows the whole VPS has only used a little under 3GB this month.

• Thanks for all the answers, going to search for a VPS now :)

• cmattbcmattb Member

@Jack said:
    I'll do my 128 Offer that is $15/year and up the ram to 256 if you want that :)

Can I take you up on that?

signed,

a google reader refugee