Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UMaxHosting.com - Avoid them!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

UMaxHosting.com - Avoid them!

bdzbdz Member
edited October 2018 in Reviews

This company is horrible and highly unserious. I will explain what happened to me.

It started when I first purchased their 1GB Windows VPS ($3,50/m) and paid the invoice that was emailed to me. Their billing system did not register my payment so I contacted their support and they sorted it, sure, all fine.

About three weeks later I get a generated email with information about my upcoming invoice for the coming month so I went to the invoice payment link in the email and paid for the new month about 9 days before my due date (october 11th).

On october 11th I get a notification on my phone that I had paid another $3,50 via PayPal to UMaxHosting so I contacted their support asking for a refund for the second payment and you can see in my screenshots what happened. Not only did they first refuse to refund me the extra $3,50 they had received, but he was kinda rude about it too. "All this over $3.50?".

Anyway, he asked me to cancel the server to get the refund so I did. However, I did chose the option to cancel the server on the day my server is due to expire (november 11th) but after a few minutes my server got disconnected and both my server and account got deleted without notice. All this because I wanted a refund of the extra money they received.

My intention with this post is just to make you guys aware that this company is highly unserious. And I'd advice anyone from doing business with them.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Comments

• bdz said: "All this over $3.50?"

UMaxHosting, fix your billing issue! Then no one would bother you with $3.5.

Thanked by 1bdz
  • HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

You had a PayPal billing agreement or a PayPal subscription ?

If it was a PayPal subscription you cannot blame them for charging you as they cannot charge you, you just had paid manually and then since you had a PayPal subscription you sent them another payment.

But yes their reply was not professional upto certain extent

Thanked by 2bdz nulldev
  • bdzbdz Member

@HostEONS said:

If it was a PayPal subscription you cannot blame them for charging you as they cannot charge you, you just had paid manually and then since you had a PayPal subscription you sent them another payment.

You're right. I had set up a subscription, and I know that me sending them those extra money because of that wasn't their fault. But I asked them to refund me the money and cancel my server. But they refused. That's where I had a problem. I do take full responsibility for my automated payment however. But yes, as you said yourself, their reply was highly unprofessional and they could have handled this a lot better.

• HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

@bdz said:

@HostEONS said:

You're right. I had set up a subscription, and I know that me sending them those extra money because of that wasn't their fault. But I asked them to refund me the money and cancel my server. But they refused. That's where I had a problem. I do take full responsibility for my automated payment however. But yes, as you said yourself, their reply was highly unprofessional and they could have handled this a lot better.

Yeah a quick refund would have sorted out

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I am sure they will get some new customers over this.

• Dearest BDZ,

Wow this is very unprofessional communication coming from Nick Johnson at UMax. Him calling saying the refund of the double charge is a courtesy is very sad. I was considering trying them out but will make sure to avoid them.

With Warm Regards,
    James B Peach

Thanked by 1bdz
  • bdz,

Now that you understand that you signed up for subscription ( and one is made well aware of that by PayPal) and made a manual payment, causing the problem, you have to realize this wasn't nearly as bad as you first thought, right? From their point of view, your mistake just cost them money on a low margin service.

That being said, the only advice I'd give in the future is to mention the specific days you made payments. The first support guy might have been able to figure out and explain the cause for the monthly charge and simply credit you against next month or something that doesn't require service fees rather than kick you up to management to deal with cancelling customer.

So the reaction to cancel service over $3.50 right off the bat is definitely overboard.

Thanked by 1bdz
  • https://www.umaxhosting.com/about-us/

We strive for happy customers...

Thanked by 1bdz
  • bdzbdz Member

@TimboJones said:
    bdz,

Now that you understand that you signed up for subscription ( and one is made well aware of that by PayPal) and made a manual payment, causing the problem, you have to realize this wasn't nearly as bad as you first thought, right? From their point of view, your mistake just cost them money on a low margin service.

That being said, the only advice I'd give in the future is to mention the specific days you made payments. The first support guy might have been able to figure out and explain the cause for the monthly charge and simply credit you against next month or something that doesn't require service fees rather than kick you up to management to deal with cancelling customer.

So the reaction to cancel service over $3.50 right off the bat is definitely overboard.

I do understand that I should not have set up a subscription rather than just pay manually. But since I just wanted a cheap Windows server for my IRC bots I basically just wanted to forget about the server and have it pay automatically every month so that I could focus on other things. However, I did pay the invoice manually since I was at my PC at the time I got the email and figured I might as well just pay it now. I had actually forgot about the subscription at the time and didn't think twice about it automatically pay them 9 days later. My mistake there.

That being said, yes you're totally right, I probably could have got some credit for the next month and saved them the fee or whatever. But since I wasn't happy about their billing system from the beginning, I figured I'd just find another host who did not have these problems. As I do not want to deal with that, especially if I'm away at the time my invoice is due and are unable to pay or for whatever reason.

They handled this case very poorly in my opinion and it's the only reason I made this thread. I've felt the need to do that with any other provider and I've tried a lot of different providers over the years.

The way their support talked to me is out of this world. You just don't do that when running a company. There's nothing more to say about that.

But all in all. Yes, this could have been handled a lot better by both myself and them. But in the end, they're the ones losing customers over their behavior.

• UMadHosting.com

I didn't read the topic. Just wanted to post this here.

Thanked by 1mfs
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Russianroulettehosting.com

Thanked by 2armandorg feezioxiii
  • @Chuck said:
    https://www.umaxhosting.com/about-us/

We strive for happy customers...

Well, he's not a customer anymore so...