Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SupremeVPS - you either prem idle or you get suspended
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SupremeVPS - you either prem idle or you get suspended

So, I'm at work, utilizing my shiny new etherpad-lite install which is behind a password (meaning no public access), all happy and stuff. I had been prem idling that shit for months before I got around to actually try to use it. Cool. Next morning, 10/1/18 7AM my VPS gets suspended out of the blue. No notification whatsoever. I thought to myself "ah fuck there it goes, cheap ass host, of course it would go offline on me as soon as I start using it". So I let it be until the evening when I shot a ticket up their wazoo to figure out what's up. Apparently my VPS had "high load in our server". That's what the English named CSR said in horribly broken English. High load of what? Ejaculate? CPU? Memory? Disk I/O?

Moving on. So this shit has been idling forever. Not horrible for the tiny glimpses into its performance I got when I was interested, but also not great for the price and the headache to ensue.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU model            : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1240 V2 @ 3.40GHz
Number of cores      : 3
CPU frequency        : 3400.157 MHz
Total size of Disk   : 30.0 GB (0.7 GB Used)
Total amount of Mem  : 3072 MB (180 MB Used)
Total amount of Swap : 3072 MB (0 MB Used)
System uptime        : 0 days, 5 hour 10 min
Load average         : 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
OS                   : Debian GNU/Linux 8
Arch                 : x86_64 (64 Bit)
Kernel               : 2.6.32-042stab131.1
I/O speed(1st run)   : 598 MB/s
I/O speed(2nd run)   : 322 MB/s
I/O speed(3rd run)   : 536 MB/s
Average I/O speed    : 485.3 MB/s
Node Name                       IPv4 address            Download Speed
CacheFly                        205.234.175.175         42.9MB/s
Linode, Tokyo, JP               106.187.96.148          9.70MB/s
Linode, Singapore, SG           139.162.23.4            6.74MB/s
Linode, London, UK              176.58.107.39           9.92MB/s
Linode, Frankfurt, DE           139.162.130.8           7.62MB/s
Linode, Fremont, CA             50.116.14.9             34.5MB/s
Softlayer, Dallas, TX           173.192.68.18           29.2MB/s
Softlayer, Seattle, WA          67.228.112.250          32.2MB/s
Softlayer, Frankfurt, DE        159.122.69.4            8.81MB/s
Softlayer, Singapore, SG        119.81.28.170           9.84MB/s
Softlayer, HongKong, CN         119.81.130.170          10.7MB/s

Not bad at all! Then they updated the kernel, again rebooted my box, no previous notice "hey mofos, we're updating openvz kernel, shit abotta go down". I guess that's how stuff works with these "Uber-popular" and "extremely well liked" hosts. The owner/admin (because he's too cheap to hire someone who knows what they're doing) wakes up one day and thinks to himself "I should upgrade openvz on that one node we have". So here's what the VPS did with the new kernel:

CPU frequency        : 3399.995 MHz
Total size of Disk   : 30.0 GB (0.9 GB Used)
Total amount of Mem  : 3072 MB (24 MB Used)
Total amount of Swap : 3072 MB (3 MB Used)
System uptime        : 4 days, 1 hour 52 min
Load average         : 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
OS                   : Debian GNU/Linux 9
Kernel               : 2.6.32-042stab132.1
I/O speed(1st run)   : 208 MB/s
I/O speed(2nd run)   : 465 MB/s
I/O speed(3rd run)   : 967 MB/s
Average I/O speed    : 546.7 MB/s
CacheFly                        205.234.175.175         66.3MB/s
Linode, Tokyo, JP               106.187.96.148          9.59MB/s
Linode, Singapore, SG           139.162.23.4            6.32MB/s
Linode, London, UK              176.58.107.39           9.23MB/s
Linode, Frankfurt, DE           139.162.130.8           9.23MB/s
Linode, Fremont, CA             50.116.14.9             11.9MB/s
Softlayer, Dallas, TX           173.192.68.18           42.2MB/s
Softlayer, Seattle, WA          67.228.112.250          50.6MB/s
Softlayer, Frankfurt, DE        159.122.69.4            8.13MB/s
Softlayer, Singapore, SG        119.81.28.170           11.8MB/s
Softlayer, HongKong, CN         119.81.130.170          14.1MB/s
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Not bad, I suppose but it went downhill from there:

I/O speed(1st run)   : 175 MB/s
I/O speed(2nd run)   : 705 MB/s
I/O speed(3rd run)   : 630 MB/s
Average I/O speed    : 503.3 MB/s

I/O speed(1st run)   : 1.2 GB/s
I/O speed(2nd run)   : 654 MB/s
I/O speed(3rd run)   : 1.2 GB/s
Average I/O speed    : 1037.2 MB/s

I/O speed(1st run)   : 104 MB/s
I/O speed(2nd run)   : 631 MB/s
I/O speed(3rd run)   : 294 MB/s
Average I/O speed    : 343 MB/s

I/O speed(1st run)   : 301 MB/s
I/O speed(2nd run)   : 421 MB/s
I/O speed(3rd run)   : 169 MB/s
Average I/O speed    : 297 MB/s

See a pattern? I wish I had tested it closer to when I started using it with etherpad-lite.

So the bright idea that the owner of SupremePOS had was to make it seem like I'm abusing their TOS and suspend my VPS indefinitely. My guess is he's going to delete it and keep the money because I abuse their services. By using 24 mb of RAM of the 3GB allotted to my VPS. The fuckers asked me 3 times what I'm running on the server as if I was lying about etherpad-lite and znc (for months prior).

Therefore, ladies and gentlemen, let this be a lesson learned vicariously through me: if you're going with a cheap host, do not pay more than the amount you don't mind losing for the stupidest reason. Because that will absolutely happen with SupremePOS. Oh, and those shiny high numbers on benchmarks? That's only while the signups are still going. Once they have the required number of 10 clients per MB of RAM, that's when you know your numbers show the actual performance you'll get out of your VPS. That is, if you manage to navigate this intricate maze of what and how many services you should run at the same time and not get suspended.

I would link to the PDF of the ticket exchange but it's on my VPS with SupremeVPS so... offline :)

I kid, I kid. Here it is: PDF of an alleged SupremeAbuser of a SupremePOS VPS

Comments

• Where did you even hear about that hosting company? There are many decent hosting companies out there yet you chose an untrustworthy one most people never heard of.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2018

Any OpenVZ host will suspend a VPS causing very high load, it affects everyone on the system. Get a KVM VPS, never worry about random suspensions again. They should have notified you though.

• It looks like a trap and it smells like a trap.

• ChuckChuck Member
    edited October 2018

@Kiwi83 said:

It looks like a trap and it smells like a trap.

nobody would have known until it happens.
    Thanks to the OP, I won't buy from this company.

Thanked by 2ricardo WorkingDude
  • WorkingDudeWorkingDude Member
    edited October 2018

@MikeA said:
    Any OpenVZ host will suspend a VPS causing very high load, it affects everyone on the system. Get a KVM VPS, never worry about random suspensions again. They should have notified you though.

Agreed, and it may have been that my cron job went cray or etherpad-lite has some bug. I'm not trying to bring their metal down. I really didn't think it was necessary to have netdata running on it since I was the only one to even visit it.

Update: got a KVM from Vultr which is really close to me. Love the network speed.

• @Kiwi83 said:
    Where did you even hear about that hosting company? There are many decent hosting companies out there yet you chose an untrustworthy one most people never heard of.

Touché :)

• donlidonli Member
    edited October 2018

@Kiwi83 said:
    Where did you even hear about that hosting company? There are many decent hosting companies out there yet you chose an untrustworthy one most people never heard of.

But it was "Supreme".

• Adding to this. I got a VPS at low cost from them and they've run out of physical disk space. I have a constraint of maintaining my IP and they simply won't either clear up the disk space or move any other client who doesn't have an IP constraint.

Regret using this VPS service from SupremeVPS

Thanked by 1WorkingDude
  • I can assure you that the VPS you received is not "Supreme". Get a new one from a reliable provider. Like there is some new HostHatch offers.
    HostHatch

• Leb hosts 😂🤣😂🤣.

Nothing to say 😆

Thanked by 1eol
  • HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

As MikeA suggested you should consider getting a KVM VPS as after reading the attached ticket screenshots I doubt if VPS provider did anything wrong except for the un-announced upgrade/maintenance.

If your VPS has high load it affects other customers on the node

• PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Host Rep

So why was the system load at 157 after all? Anyway, to be honest nothing in this ticket warrants the name calling and the staff abuse, you probably could have easily had your server up again if you'd offered to fix it before you figured out they don't even want to reply to you anymore.

• Thanked by 1uptime
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited February 2019

@banxix said:
    Make me remember of this

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/72561/purchased-from-virmach-and-didnt-read-the-tos/p1

The day you purchase their 'seemingly cheap' plan, and you break their TOS, they will suspend your account like any other provider BUT along with hacking your accounts, they will invade your privacy, may send lusty messages to your ex girlfriend on facebook, tell your bos that you go to strip clubs and hire a hitman to kill your family and burn your house. They are criminals in disguise.

Epic. Thanks for that ...

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Just my 2c, they did not wake up one day and decide to update the kernel, the reason you got no notice is because the server either hung or just randomly rebooted WITHOUT update.

I can tell you that because you started on 2.6.32-042stab131.1 and went to 2.6.32-042stab131.1 which means the last time they updated the node was around July 2018.

It seems more likely to me (I say this without knowing the host at all) that you are being a little harsh on them during a bad patch, i say this because if they were THAT bad you would have noticed issues even idling which you have not mentioned.

They probably have an abuser on the node causing havoc which can in turn cause neighbor load to seem high i.e. on OpenVZ the cause of the load is not always the container with the high load.

In short, it is probably not as cut and dry as you are overly dramatizing, have a snickers and give it a week.

Thanked by 2Chuck TimboJones
  • Fwiw I used one of their openvz yearly plans for Plex and it was great. Definitely in the same category as alphanfpwootmybytes.

Get a KVM from a reputable provider here and call it a day.

Thanked by 1eol
  • @dahartigan said:
    Fwiw I used one of their openvz yearly plans for Plex and it was great. Definitely in the same category as alphanfpwootmybytes.

Would u take a gamble on their KVM?

• @cybertech said:

@dahartigan said:
    Fwiw I used one of their openvz yearly plans for Plex and it was great. Definitely in the same category as alphanfpwootmybytes.

Would u take a gamble on their KVM?

I did take a gamble, I have a KVM from alpha, wh, nfp and techvps - that's only the LEB CC hosts. My experience is that the wh and nfp were actually decent, the alpha and techvps were trash. Other people could have a better experience maybe, but not me.

I just looked and the cheapest KVM from supreme seems to be a yearly price that's way outside of my comfort zone with a LEB host, so with this provider, I'd probably advise to avoid it.

Go get a KVM from one of the LET hosts in here, if you want LA there are plenty of good hosts that will charge monthly or have under $40/year services.

I hope that helps

Thanked by 2eol cybertech
  • I use Supreme for a vpn and it's perfect.

TechVPS is nice that they're kvm and on Quadra, but they have my IP geolocating to Sweden and even after opening a ticket, there's still a level of the IP locating there, so meh.

I've got a kvm from LetBox that I'm testing on Psychz... fast and quiet, but pricier than the shitty ColoCrossing hosts. Get what you pay for, imo.

Thanked by 1letbox
  • I've used @AnthonySmith and @mikho an @gestiondbi and @... oh fuck it. If it can't work as a VPN, it's not even consumer grade. Just what fucking point are you trying to make?

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited February 2019

they have my IP geolocating to Sweden

look what they did to my nose...!

EDIT2: Fuck up a vpn? Challenge accepted.

Thanked by 2eol iHavenoName
  • So I got techvps to put me on another node and it is much better. Bench.sh io is around 150, up from 20. That's on a 512mb 1 core KVM for $12/year with Ubuntu 18.04 with the whole filesystem encrypted with LUKS.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @HostEONS said:
    As MikeA suggested you should consider getting a KVM VPS as after reading the attached ticket screenshots I doubt if VPS provider did anything wrong except for the un-announced upgrade/maintenance.

If your VPS has high load it affects other customers on the node

I have nothing against getting suspended for high CPU load. But I wasn't running anything on that. I was the only one visiting the site :smile: So their claim that my VPS was trashing their box is fairly unbelievable to me. The only possible way that happened is a major bug in etherpad-lite, which is also running on two other boxes without any incident. So, once again, I have nothing against getting suspended for abuse. But it has to be abuse, and there has to be some communication, at least the courtesy of being informed that my box was cut off and why.

@PUSHR_Victor said:
    So why was the system load at 157 after all? Anyway, to be honest nothing in this ticket warrants the name calling and the staff abuse, you probably could have easily had your server up again if you'd offered to fix it before you figured out they don't even want to reply to you anymore.

I don't know, I never found out what happened to get it to 157. Their service cannot be used however, it has to be prem idle or else you get it.

Head honcho finally replied some time later (I forget how long cuz I stopped giving a shit) and un-suspended the vps which has been idling the same way it has prior to being suspended. Same 1 service which I don't use anymore since I can't trust it will be up and running tomorrow. However it still keeps timing out on port 22 and I get plenty of weekly notifications about high CPU load from netdata which of course isn't mine since that would lead to my VPS being suspended without notice again.

@banxix said:
    Make me remember of this https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/72561/purchased-from-virmach-and-didnt-read-the-tos/p1

I wouldn't listen from one side.

I did not exclude their input, nor would I ever. I started this thread publicly precisely because I wanted a back-and-forth. Obviously, SupremeVPS is nowhere to be found.

@AnthonySmith said:
    Just my 2c, they did not wake up one day and decide to update the kernel, the reason you got no notice is because the server either hung or just randomly rebooted WITHOUT update.

I can tell you that because you started on 2.6.32-042stab131.1 and went to 2.6.32-042stab131.1 which means the last time they updated the node was around July 2018.

It seems more likely to me (I say this without knowing the host at all) that you are being a little harsh on them during a bad patch, i say this because if they were THAT bad you would have noticed issues even idling which you have not mentioned.

They probably have an abuser on the node causing havoc which can in turn cause neighbor load to seem high i.e. on OpenVZ the cause of the load is not always the container with the high load.

In short, it is probably not as cut and dry as you are overly dramatizing, have a snickers and give it a week.

Good point about the kernel versions. They might have upgraded and rolled back because I was trying to get conntrack enabled for iptables and found different kernel versions when perusing about the filesystem after the unannounced reboot. Reboots happened a few more times after that, by the way. Current uptime is at 50 days. Like I said... it's idling, I can't use it for anything without risking suspension and virtual waterboarding.

Bad patch? It seems their bad patches last years :smiley:
    Speaking of "issues" while idling ... that's kinda the point. If you're idling how are you supposed to notice issues?

I'll humor you with a response anyway: Uptime Robot has it at 81.92% uptime for port 22. After they got me un-suspended I installed netdata and I've been getting daily notifications ever since. It's mostly about high CPU load and timeouts ( not my own CPU usage, obviously, otherwise I would have been suspended again :wink: ). Here's some netfilter notification history for ya: scrolling video. Also, that ZNC that's running on it keeps getting ping timeouts on freenode.

I don't have patience for assholes. If SupremeVPS was nice about it, offered to look into what happened and work with me rather than immediately accuse me of trying to rape their metal, I would have treated them with the respect they would otherwise have deserved. But they chose to suspend by VPS without notice, and then proceed with waterboarding.

Even the owner guy asked what I'm running on the box all the while my VPS was still suspended and inaccessible. That is what pissed me off the most. It's like I was being interrogated at a police station. WTF was it so hard to do a find /path/of/my/vps/root -iname '*mining executable here*'? Or at least verify that I have etherpad-lite and znc running, like I stated. It's not like I can encrypt my FS and hide from the metal's root user. Nor did I have access to quickly remove stuff before they got a chance to "uncover" my horrible abuse of their service.

So yes, maybe it's not as cut and dry, maybe it's intact and moist like you remember your first girlfriend. As far as my reaction goes, I think it's humorous, not overly dramatic. If you or their staff which I apparently "abused" don't care for humor in shitty situations, then that's on you. Also, if people can't handle words like "shit, elderly, fucker, desired, bullshit, responsible, attitude, old timer" then they should not be interfacing with the public. You feel me?

Thanked by 1uptime
  • LetzienLetzien Member
    edited February 2019

You're kind of an asshole who intentionally abused resources.

• @Letzien said:
    You're kind of an asshole who intentionally abused resources.

Obviously, why else would I bitch about it on LET?

• ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    CPU frequency        : 3400.139 MHz
    Total size of Disk   : 30.0 GB (5.3 GB Used)
    Total amount of Mem  : 3072 MB (275 MB Used)
    Total amount of Swap : 3072 MB (246 MB Used)
    System uptime        : 50 days, 5 hour 16 min
    Load average         : 0.01, 0.06, 0.07
    OS                   : Debian GNU/Linux 9
    Kernel               : 2.6.32-042stab133.2
    I/O speed(1st run)   : 43.9 MB/s
    I/O speed(2nd run)   : 54.5 MB/s
    I/O speed(3rd run)   : 113 MB/s
    Average I/O speed    : 70.5 MB/s
    CacheFly                        205.234.175.175         74.4MB/s
    Linode, Tokyo, JP               106.187.96.148          12.2MB/s
    Linode, Singapore, SG           139.162.23.4            8.07MB/s
    Linode, London, UK              176.58.107.39           10.5MB/s
    Linode, Frankfurt, DE           139.162.130.8           9.60MB/s
    Linode, Fremont, CA             50.116.14.9             78.4MB/s
    Softlayer, Dallas, TX           173.192.68.18           53.8MB/s
    Softlayer, Seattle, WA          67.228.112.250          73.1MB/s
    Softlayer, Frankfurt, DE        159.122.69.4            7.48MB/s
    Softlayer, Singapore, SG        119.81.28.170           11.5MB/s
    Softlayer, HongKong, CN         119.81.130.170          13.7MB/s

Damn, that I/O though. My Raspberry Pi does better :smiley:

• @Virmach did the same to me when I tried to use my allocated resources, they suspended me many times without notification!