Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS Update - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS Update

Comments

• On a lighter note...

# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync && unlink test
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 2.63347 s, 408 MB/s

• @Maurice said:
    On a lighter note...

# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync && unlink test
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 2.63347 s, 408 MB/s

Here's mine, hosted through Iniz.

1# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync && unlink test
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 7.93183 s, 135 MB/s
    2# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync && unlink test
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 8.71164 s, 123 MB/s

• @smccloud said:

1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 8.71164 s, 123 MB/s

that's pretty amazing. here is what (new vps from GreenValueHost):

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 25.9308 s, 41.4 MB/s

pretty bad IMO

• @webflier What did you change in there?

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited June 2013

Here is mine:

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync 16384+0 records in 16384+0 records out 1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 0.1742328 s, 6150 MB/s :-)

• Here's mine:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync && unlink test
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 15.6344 s, 68.7 MB/s

• @asterisk14 wow where do you get your vps? it's 100 times better than my greenvaluehost!!

:(

• They probably getting tired with tickets right now.

• that's pretty amazing. here is what (new vps from GreenValueHost):

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync 16384+0 records in 16384+0 records out 1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 25.9308 s, 41.4 MB/s

That's not much better than the aging P4 with an ancient hard drive I use for a test box :P

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync && unlink test

16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 45.8807 s, 23.4 MB/s

10 requests completed in 9010.9 ms, 1108 iops, 4.3 mb/s

min/avg/max/mdev = 0.7/0.9/1.1/0.1 ms

Power_On_Hours 46363

smcloud said:

Here's mine, hosted through Iniz.

Here's an Iniz NL SSD (used for a database server):

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync

16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 1.14077 s, 941 MB/s

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2013

ChicagoVPS is good company, stick with them.

• @DomainBop, wish I could justify a SSD box just for MySQL.

• If you are considering ChicagoVPS, RUN THE OTHER WAY. There are similarly-priced competitors who do not have the terrible service here.

Just in the last 2 weeks:

• Hacked and customer data revealed
    • Very slow to inform customers
    • When they did start informing customers, they contradicted themselves or flat out lied often.
    • Claimed to make back-ups after the last attack but turns out not all nodes have backups
    • They promised back-ups for me but then just inexplicably closed my ticket a few days later without providing any back-ups.
    • You can read more about it at vpsboard (but about 15 pages of records there mysteriously vanished). There's also a thread here at LET. I wish I had been keeping archives of both of these threads because posts have mysteriously gone missing on both sites.
    • Since they said everyone was restored my vps has gone down again and been unreachable on two more separate days! They don't reply to tickets when this happens until many hours later and they just give bullshit explanations.

I cannot understand how anyone can still recommend CVPS. Even when I was considering them, I saw a few negative reviews and thought nothing of them. But I regret it. CVPS cannot provide the service they promise you. They promise "99.9% up-time guarantee; your site will always be online". But they cannot do it (NOT EVEN CLOSE) and they have shown me this several times now.

I am leaving as soon as I can. If you're a customer, I don't need to tell you anything; I know already that you think the same as me. If you're thinking of becoming a new customer, do not do it. I could not wish this terrible service on my worst enemy.

Thanked by 2NRyder akz
  • You can read more about it at vpsboard (but about 15 pages of records there mysteriously vanished).

Can someone from the VPSBoard administration comment on that statement?

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@Upsetcvps, get over it and move on. Im sick of you following us around saying we are terrible blah blah blah.

Its funny how all anyone can talk about is CVPS and not the other hosts that got hit with the same issues.

Im not making excuses but enough is enough. If you want to go blame someone blame Solus.

• @CVPS_Chris said:
    Upsetcvps, get over it and move on. Im sick of you following us around saying we are terrible blah blah blah.

I will be posting my experience with your company everywhere I can so that others are aware of the facts above.

Its funny how all anyone can talk about is CVPS and not the other hosts that got hit with the same issues.

I don't find it funny at all. Yes, there were other hosts hit with the SolusVM exploit. That is not my main complaint. My main complaint is with your response. Read my bullet points.

Even if there were other equally bad hosts with equally bad responses, I think people would still want to know that CVPS is one of these bad hosts.

• @asterisk14 said:
    Here is mine:

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync 16384+0 records in 16384+0 records out 1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 0.1742328 s, 6150 MB/s :-)

Either edited or this:

~$ cd /dev/shm
    /dev/shm$ dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 0.256908 s, 4.2 GB/s

Note how my DD says GB/s instead of xxxxMB/s, I'm running Ubuntu 12.04.2, this was ran on my dev box (E3, 32GB RAM)

• NRyderNRyder Member

@upsetcvps said:
    If you are considering ChicagoVPS, RUN THE OTHER WAY. There are similarly-priced competitors who do not have the terrible service here.

Just in the last 2 weeks:

• Hacked and customer data revealed
    • Very slow to inform customers
    • When they did start informing customers, they contradicted themselves or flat out lied often.
    • Claimed to make back-ups after the last attack but turns out not all nodes have backups
    • They promised back-ups for me but then just inexplicably closed my ticket a few days later without providing any back-ups.
    • You can read more about it at vpsboard (but about 15 pages of records there mysteriously vanished). There's also a thread here at LET. I wish I had been keeping archives of both of these threads because posts have mysteriously gone missing on both sites.
    • Since they said everyone was restored my vps has gone down again and been unreachable on two more separate days! They don't reply to tickets when this happens until many hours later and they just give bullshit explanations.

I cannot understand how anyone can still recommend CVPS. Even when I was considering them, I saw a few negative reviews and thought nothing of them. But I regret it. CVPS cannot provide the service they promise you. They promise "99.9% up-time guarantee; your site will always be online". But they cannot do it (NOT EVEN CLOSE) and they have shown me this several times now.

I am leaving as soon as I can. If you're a customer, I don't need to tell you anything; I know already that you think the same as me. If you're thinking of becoming a new customer, do not do it. I could not wish this terrible service on my worst enemy.

I couldn't agree with you more @upsetcvps. This should be posted on all web-hosting review / social media sites to let everyone know what ChicagoFailVPS real color is.

My impression of ChicagoVPS: (Partial Only)

False Hopes
    Lied about they will restore data to all affected VPS but after 8 days of downtime / waiting in agony they will just tell you that they can't restore your data and you are on your own. And to add insult to injury they will also tell you that the "Central Backup" you made is "Corrupted" as well.

False Advertising
    They said they got "Weekly Backups" of your VPS but that is ONLY if you are lucky enough that the node you are in has been configured to have WORKING backups.

Lies / Deception
    Never seen any other company that is full of lies and other BS (Adam Ng /Kevin Hillstrand Issues etc..)

You are not alone @upsetcvps, as soon as I am done restoring my sites I will also be taking time to write a complete review on what I've been through with ChicagoVPS.

Let this be a warning to all! Stay away from ClownChicagoVPS!

• Come on, if this had happened to any other company, you would have got a similar level of 'service'. Pay the least and expect the worst!

• @asterisk14 said:
    Come on, if this had happened to any other company, you would have got a similar level of 'service'. Pay the least and expect the worst!

Maybe. In any case, this way future customers know what to expect from cvps.

• SpiritSpirit Member

Atleast two person in this thread registered account here around or after ChicagoVPS hack (with different) Disposable E-Mail Address and post only in ChicagoVPS thread.
    I am not saying that there's any connections among them or that they aren't legit pissed off clients however with Chris following this thread it would be maybe at some point just easier to post some latest ticket number (here or in PM Chris) to poke him that way.

I got my own portion running in circles with cvps support last few days and I wasn't really pleasant to deal with but knowing Chris he isn't really vengeful person (atleast I think) and he will try to do things right no matter how much anger you expressed in tickets and here.
    And no he did not bribe me to say this. It's just... if I wouldn't be personally involved in this as client I think that I would feel about some things differently than I did in last few days. That's bad experience for all (host and clients) involved.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Well I have been in the 2 hacks and I have not been affected... My VPS have been running rock-solid. And no, I have not been bribed. And no, this email is not disposable. I have 22 VPS with different companies if you want to know if I have more VPS to compare.

• I was affected by the previous hack, however got lucky this time. VPS is running fine, however bandwidth is now likely reduced to 10Mbit ( was having a Gbit before this hack). Waiting for the dust to settle before poking them on this..

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited June 2013

however bandwidth is now likely reduced to 10Mbit

I'm having that problem on one of my LA VPS's.

Download speed from CacheFly: 7.25MB/s

Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 1.24MB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 1.87MB/s

Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 474KB/s

Download speed from i3d.net, NL: 391KB/s

Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 390KB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 358KB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 2.24MB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 6.48MB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 977KB/s

I/O speed : 33.5 MB/s

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

@gsrdgrdghd said:
    Can someone from the VPSBoard administration comment on that statement?

Yeah, about 600 comments from that thread vanished. They're about to be restored, just having IPB staff do it.

What happened is I set some rules in the backend for 'archiving' of threads. The rules were set improperly, so over the course of hours about 90% of threads got archived. This meant you couldn't respond or update even the active ones. This was a mistake, and I set rules to UNarchive all the threads. Anything that has not received a response in 365 days will have been UNarchived (which is everything).

Well, some threads UNarchived succesfully and some did not. The CVPS / SolusVM thread did not UNarchive succesfully and instead went from 30+ pages to 13. The data still exists in the DB, so I am having IPB manually move it from an archived table back to where it belongs.

So all that data will return shortly :)

To quote the tech:

Yes, what I am going to do is import the old forums_archive_posts as a new table, forums_archive_posts_old.

I will then simply tell the script to read from this table when running, if it encounters a post that did successfully un-archive to the topic, it will simply remove that archive row, otherwise it will insert it into posts.

• arieonlinearieonline Member
    edited June 2013

both of my vps on LA

root@us01 ~$ ./bench-network.sh
    CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1240 V2 @ 3.40GHz
    Number of cores : 4
    CPU frequency :  1600.000 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 512 MB
    Total amount of swap : 0 MB
    System uptime :   15:32,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 28.4MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 20.6MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 40.1MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 11.3MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, NL: 7.61MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 7.74MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 7.44MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 48.4MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 95.7MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 19.2MB/s
    I/O speed :  422 MB/s

root@us02 ~$ ./bench-network.sh
    CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1240 V2 @ 3.40GHz
    Number of cores : 4
    CPU frequency :  1600.000 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 512 MB
    Total amount of swap : 0 MB
    System uptime :   2:19,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 18.7MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 22.1MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 36.7MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 10.9MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, NL: 8.28MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 8.08MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 7.50MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 49.0MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 98.1MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 20.9MB/s
    I/O speed :  440 MB/s
  • @MannDude thanks for the explanation. SOunds like a risky operation, i hope they make a backup beforehand :P

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

@gsrdgrdghd said:
    MannDude thanks for the explanation. SOunds like a risky operation, i hope they make a backup beforehand :P

No need for them to, we've got backups of the DB being made every 30 minutes. The old DBs aren't overwritten so have plenty to choose from in a situation where needed to do so. =]

• nikcubnikcub Member

@perennate said:
    You have to be kidding me. I purchased a VPS from DigitalOcean, and then 30 minutes later their network went offline for more than an hour in the Netherlands location.

Your experience is anecdotal. It is hard to explain just how popular DigitalOcean are now - they are the fastest growing host in the world (possibly fastest ever) and have already shot up into the top 100.

They are very popular in the tech startup scene and everybody speaks very highly of them. I've had dozens of servers and never had a problem. That is not to say that they don't have a problem - but it is in a different realm to having your data leak and server removed for a week at a time twice a year.

• It could be quite hardtime for @CVPS_Chris however they should learn from the past and present. I believe if CVPS not faced any hack, they could be popular like DigitalOcean. Wish they will continue in future, give good support and get more clients.

• just put the following 2 lines in that file.
    nameserver 8.8.8.8
    nameserver 8.8.4.4

@WellGrounded said:
    webflier What did you change in there?