Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How hard is managing a KVM VPS vs openvz? and some KVM questions
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How hard is managing a KVM VPS vs openvz? and some KVM questions

Hello folks

What does managing a KVM require over an openvz VPS ? Anything more than "apt-get update & apt-get upgrade" ? Basically I am wondering how are they different from managing the VPS point of view.. I managed an openvz VPS for almost 5 years.

Would a 1GB KVM perform as well as 512MB openvz ? Assume all other factors (cpu etc) are equivalent. Asking because I keep reading that KVM has more memory overhead.

Thanks

Comments

• If you're a user and OS is same then managing is almost the same. But for VPS provider it's not same due to different virtualization technology.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Nope. The only difference is you will have more control.

• MKHostingMKHosting Member
    edited September 2018

KVM works with its own kernel and is based on hardware.
    OpenVZ (Hypervisor Type 2) is based on software (OS).

There are some differences between the namespaces, privileged / unprivileged containers / servers and so on.

It's not just apt update && apt upgrade -y ^^

KVM is not shared.
    OpenVZ (or LXC and so one) are filebased container.
    Its just a file which you can "turn on and turn off".

• Can someone please answer

"Would a 1GB KVM perform as well as 512MB openvz ? Assume all other factors (cpu etc) are equivalent. "

Forgot to specify that I am asking from a user point of view and not a hosting provider point of view.
    @MKhosting answered from a providers point of view ?

From the answers I am gathering that managing would be practically the same for most folks.

Thanks

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

kutchbhi said: Would a 1GB KVM perform as well as 512MB openvz ? Assume all other factors (cpu etc) are equivalent.

Theoretically, probably OpenVZ would have better performance as the overhead is just much lower than KVM. There is far more work going on with KVM. And RAM wise, the OS of your system will consume a lot more than each instance of an OpenVZ node would use, so you may end up with a similar amount of usable memory.

We don't use OpenVZ so I don't speak from experience, but as a provider, there is a temptation to use OpenVZ because it is generally accepted that you can achieve far greater density.

I suspect in reality, you won't really get any performance boost over KVM as most hosts would 'oversell' their nodes. But since you assume all factors being equivalent... if you stick 10 HVMs on a box or 10 Containers on the same box, probably the 10 Containers would perform better for most things.

But not everything works on containers....

• There no difference in the "Hard or Easy", KVM is full virtuelization, whilen OpenVZ can be bring some features better, but you can also setup and KVM to handle everything.

• kutchbhi said: @MKhosting answered from a providers point of view ?

Yes.

kutchbhi said: Would a 1GB KVM perform as well as 512MB openvz ?

It depends of what you wanna do with your server.
    There are always pro / contra. KVM are dedicated ressources.

• HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

@kutchbhi said:
    Hello folks

What does managing a KVM require over an openvz VPS ? Anything more than "apt-get update & apt-get upgrade" ? Basically I am wondering how are they different from managing the VPS point of view.. I managed an openvz VPS for almost 5 years.

Would a 1GB KVM perform as well as 512MB openvz ? Assume all other factors (cpu etc) are equivalent. Asking because I keep reading that KVM has more memory overhead.

Thanks

OpenVZ will perform better if it has same specs as KVM, can't really compare 512 MB and 1 GB RAM VPS

Managing OpenVZ is a little easier as you don't need to update kernel in OpenVZ, your provider does that, in KVM you are responsible for updating kernel.

KVM gives you more control as you can install your own custom kernel and your are not restricted linux with KVM, you can install almost all OS available in the world as long as your provider can give you access to the ISO of that OS

With OpenVZ you are limited to Linux and that to just the templates provided by your provider

I hope it answers all your queries

• XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep

@kutchbhi said:
    Hello folks

Thanks

With dedicated resources KVM would be better.

• ok this answers my questions. thanks a lot folks. Can be closed/markSolved

Although I should have asked a better question... 'better performance' is sort of vague. Better would have been how much memory overhead does KVM have centos 7..