Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the best way to learn building a PC (like actually putting it together)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is the best way to learn building a PC (like actually putting it together)

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited September 2018 in General

So I want to learn a bit more about putting a PC together and modifying it so I thought some actual practice would be good. Are there any predesigned amateur kits to play around with or should I just order super cheap crap at ebay to put together? The idea is to really get some hands on experience aside from all these youtube videos I've seen already. I've never done more modifying than adding new Ram to my PC really.

Comments

• @Ympker said:
    So I want to learn a bit more about putting a PC together and modifying it so I thought some actual practice would be good. Are there any predesigned amateur kits to play around with or should I just order super cheap crap at ebay to put together? The idea is to really get some hands on experience aside from all these youtube videos I've seen already. I've never done more modifying than adding new Ram to my PC really.

Buy a used pc (with standard motherboard) , core 2 duo etc, get a new case, cheap one and put all that stuff in that. Play around it, upgrade or change stuff you like. At the end if you don't like or want to get a powerful enough, donate that pc you built to someone.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Try to read a little bit more deeper into each of components before u touch any. (newegg/tigerdirect/amazon)

For fun:

• Just get used DIY rig or factory refurbished rig (which is full tower at least)
    • Start with replacing mobo+cpu
    • Add ram/hdd/gfx later on

For long term:

• I would just get a nice case + good psu first
    • Get used mobo+cpu+ram to start with
    • Add SSD + GFX later on
    • Keep on upgrading ur component by reselling them and buying back used (not so old) for your upgrades.
    • try overclocking/water cooling/etc .. more and more as later

Enjoy building with managed budget as above. But don't get so itchy by buying fresh or newly release component which will damage your wallet like hell. DIY rig in no longer a thing nowadays, don't spend so much.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Base rule:

Rule1: When you plan to upgrade one of them (chipset, cpu, ram), you will need to replace all platform. Because if there is no need to replace them, there is no need to upgrade. Also include your OS.

Rule2: You can add any additional hardwares on your motherboard if you can plug them in. Because you can't plug a DDR4 ram into a DDR3 socket.

Look, so easy.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

Just watch that recent video from The Verge. Flawless

• CyberMondayCyberMonday Member
    edited September 2018

@MasonR said:
    Just watch that recent video from The Verge. Flawless

There are literally thousands of "How to build your PC" threads, as the tech barrier is incredibly low these days. Watch some YouTube, and check for "garbage finds", and "Cheap PC builds". A Core2Duo can be found in the garbage almost anywhere, and although they may be missing a PATA drive or random PCI video, you'll spend maybe $20 to get them going without much effort.

Thanked by 2MasonR gol3m
  • Buy the parts and open a LTT build log.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited September 2018

@Ympker

Usually the hardware isn't the problem but the software (drivers).

Some general advice I can offer is to stay "standard" in the beginning. As long as you use a "normal" processor and chipset and standard components (drives, graphics card, etc) it will usually be as simple as plug and play.
    Just make sure that the components you use have driver support with the OS(s) you want to use. Usually all "standard" stuff does.

Another beginners advice is to stay away from bleeding edge hardware but to rather use hardware that is from about 6 months to 5 years old (introduced to the market). For that hardware eventual problems have been ironed out, there is some (or even a lot) of community support, there are articles and tests, etc.

Finally think practical. Like "What do I really need/want?". A big case or a small one? Many cores or "hmm, 4 or so will do", A fastest (but expensive) SSD or a decent but not ultra-fast one? What's more important, reliability and ease of build/configure or raw speed? Things like that.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited September 2018

I am already assuming you have basic understanding in computer architecture:

1. Get compatible parts, by first reading their specs.
    2. Assemble them together in a system.
    3. Repeat and in time you'll get more and more experienced.

It's really no different than those square, circle and triangle plastic puzzle cubes kids are playing with.

For the very, very first time, you may want to disassemble an assembled working system and reassemble it again.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited September 2018

Thanks for all the nice advice guys! Helping a lot ;) Gonna watch some of the videos you recommended and buy some cheap pc stuff^^

@Janevski

I usually check compatibility of parts on pcpartpicker. Dunno if that'll work^^ Well I also know about DIMM ram and pci a bit. I'd say I know roughly a bit about everything just not too indepth.

• @CyberMonday I mean if you’re going for a Core 2 Duo, the quad core models are dirt cheap as well ;)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @doghouch said:
    @CyberMonday I mean if you’re going for a Core 2 Duo, the quad core models are dirt cheap as well ;)

$7.

• Choose a very old used motherboard and read what parts are compatible with it. Buy and mount them.Check if your computer is turning on or if many beeps or you have no video output. Etc.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • There isn't much you can do wrong. Every part and every plug only fits where it belongs. At worst you will have unexpected incompatibility,or buy "bad" parts (fan too loud,..).

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Wait til you have to fix what you have, find how to fix it. Honestly it's fairly easy, once you understand what is the name of the various components and what role they play in your build...

• @datanoise said:
    Wait til you have to fix what you have, find how to fix it. Honestly it's fairly easy, once you understand what is the name of the various components and what role they play in your build...

I'd rather not mess up with expensive stuff before knowing what I do.

• Most important thing is, every single component must be matched each other.
    I learned computer when I was in high school. Buy crap one, watch YouTube and read some reference before tweaking or upgrading.

This method works for me.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • mfsmfs Banned, Member

The first mobo I messed with back in the days has been glued together mostly with tears, blood and swearing, no youtube back then
    But it was fun

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Place a free ad in your local classifieds looking for old computers to recycle. You will be surprised what people will donate to you for free.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • DedicadudeDedicadude Member
    edited September 2018

I learn a lot from tomshardware forum and linus tech tips channel... also i use some online builders that will send you straight to the supplier's website (amazon/ebay) for ordering.. assembleyourpc or example forgot the name of the other one... it's been awhile since my last build...

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Remember to put spacers under your mobo.
    Be carefull when putting cooler on your cpu.
    Do not use too much power when putting ram in the slot.
    Static electricity is bad.

I haven't broke anything and I started building with quite low knowledge. ;) It's not complicated at all. At least it wasn't... Four lines above were enough.
    It's been soon 10 years since I built last time a pc...

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Just chill shill, it's not that hard and most of the warnings are just best practices and wont ruin the entire PC.

If you have a desktop, take it apart and mount it again. If you dont have one, there are plenty of tutorials out there.

• To me it seems like the most fun and probably the most educational way to do it is trying to build a computer out of trash. Like getting some junk that was already thrown away into garage from your friends and such, disassembling it, assessing what you need to make something decent out of is, buying some dirt cheap spare parts on aliexpress and so on.

This way you are almost guaranteed to run into a bunch of compatibility issues, issues with something not working properly and causing crashes and such. Also, it is almost free and you will not be worried about breaking something as much as with new and relatively expensive parts.

IMO it is much better way to start than ordering some "kit", because with most such "kits" the only thing you need to do is assembling it (which is super easy) and it will run without any problems. This way you will not run into "fun stuff" like dual-sided vs single-sided ram and such.

• I think the easiest way to learn build PC is to buy partially built used components from Ebay. It is quite easy to find on ebay for a package of motherboard, processor, and ram. After that you only need to find the case, PSU, and harddrive.

Motherboard manual is very important for beginner PC builder, as it shows how to plug the cables from the cases to the motherboard.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited September 2018

Buy a high quality PSU with 5year warranty.

I've gotten my corsair vx450 from 2009 replaced free of cost in year 5 with a gaming worthy Tx650 (OOS on vx450)

Yay. now if I could only afford a GPU in this lifetime.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hello,

In a previous job my boss was always saying components are bricks a computer is just a big Lego.
    In fact even if it has became very easy things can go wrong especially if you're in a hurry, intruction guides are still precious.

As i read be carefull about compatibility parts as well.

The best would be to work in an assembly shop to get some practice.

Did you you know there was pc assembly competitions ?

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • practical exercise is a good thing, best if you have someone around to ask directly if any problem occurs.

come visit me. :-D :-D :-D

I do have quite some old stuff lying around in the basement like different boards, cpus, ram and so on. you can play around and put different boxes together if you like and we will see if you get them running.

Thanked by 2Ympker MasonR
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited September 2018

@Falzo said:
    practical exercise is a good thing, best if you have someone around to ask directly if any problem occurs.

come visit me. :-D :-D :-D

I do have quite some old stuff lying around in the basement like different boards, cpus, ram and so on. you can play around and put different boxes together if you like and we will see if you get them running.

Yeah..sure.... :- )
    Some day I might seriously though haha

@Ikoula said:
    Hello,

In a previous job my boss was always saying components are bricks a computer is just a big Lego.
    In fact even if it has became very easy things can go wrong especially if you're in a hurry, intruction guides are still precious.

As i read be carefull about compatibility parts as well.

The best would be to work in an assembly shop to get some practice.

** Did you you know there was pc assembly competitions** ?

No didn't know lol.
    Interesting hehe

Thanked by 2Falzo MasonR
  • Wow. The 90s just called.

• Youtube is filled with practicals.... Even a child today knows that.