Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Contabo changed their VPS pricing again - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Contabo changed their VPS pricing again

Comments

• @MarshalChe said:

@WebGuru said:
    Benchmark please?

Any idea which processor their SSD VPS series is using? (want to know the single core speed)

1. https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/143552/review-contabo-vps-m-ssd
    2. CPU they declare: Intel® Xeon® E5-2620v3, E5-2630v4 or 4114 processor

Thanks!

• is there any way to install windows like ohv or kimsufi?

• @smile said:
    How many of you are with contabo on the quarter/semi-annual/annual plan which has additional discount?
    I am asking this because I notice they no longer list a service level agreement.

I was a customers of theirs in the past for like 2 years till I did grow out of a VPS and needed a dedicated server, but I never did experience any long lasting downtime. Their SLA is a part of their service agreement and they promise 95% uptime:
    https://contabo.com/agb.html

• Prime404 said: and they promise 95% uptime

To be honest, 95% uptime is horrible.

• @Prime404 said:
    Their SLA is a part of their service agreement and they promise 95% uptime:

5% downtime is 18 DAYS of downtime/year.

• @jvnadr said:

mailinabox said: Donttabo LLC.

Another quality post from you. You should receive a honor prize!
    What's your problem with Contabo? Have you ever used them in the near past? I have two servers with them since 2016 and they are more than excellent.

Prime404 said: Do they still limit the I/O on the VM's? Last time I used them I didn't have these issues and that was just 6-7 months ago

I don't know about any limit, my dd test is this:

root@xxx:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=4k conv=fdatasync
    4096+0 records in
    4096+0 records out
    268435456 bytes (268 MB) copied, 2.89253 s, 92.8 MB/s
    root@xxx:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=32k conv=fdatasync
    32768+0 records in
    32768+0 records out
    2147483648 bytes (2.1 GB) copied, 21.6142 s, 99.4 MB/s
    root@xxx:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=32k conv=fdatasync
    32768+0 records in
    32768+0 records out
    2147483648 bytes (2.1 GB) copied, 21.974 s, 97.7 MB/s

it's a vps-m with normal HHD, no SSD

creep said: are they good for backup storage? I have 100gb+ football games. and maybe once a while stream through it. no transcoding needed.

I have installed proxmox in it and I have created a NAT backup server on the half of the space (250GB) and several small machines with the rest of the space. It is more than good for backup server.

creep said: do they allow torrent?

Don't torrent (except of Linux ISOs!) with any known German provider. They take copyright and other abuse very seriously.

@dedipromo Doesn't mean 95% is the actual uptime. Uptime robot usually was showing smth with 98-99% for me and @jvnadr also posted some positive feedback.

Thanked by 1dedipromo
  • For me, uptime is reaching 100% since 2016 that I have services with them

• Transfer (not resizing) existing server to new one is free of charge and here are test results for it: https://serverscope.io/trials/lP2v

And results from old config: https://serverscope.io/trials/BBdR

Thanked by 1torrbox
  • PS Never had downtimes with them.

Thanked by 1torrbox
  • @donli said:

@Prime404 said:
    Their SLA is a part of their service agreement and they promise 95% uptime:

5% downtime is 18 DAYS of downtime/year.

That's only what they promise to offer at the very least and they do this to avoid paying out compensation for downtime, but as per own experience uptime have been roughly 99.9-100% when I used them.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Anyone over here with such a VPS who wouldn't mind running Geekbench 4, please?

Thanks!

• Prices drops because OVH gets Germany location.

• yongsikleeyongsiklee Member, Patron Provider

@neik said:
    Anyone over here with such a VPS who wouldn't mind running Geekbench 4, please?

Thanks!

Why Geekbench 4 only?

• @yongsiklee said:

@neik said:

Thanks!

Why Geekbench 4 only?

Well, if there would be more benchmarks available I wouldn't complain but for my needs Geekbench is enough, so I can compare the performance to my current RS at Netcup.

• PontiacPontiac Member
    edited September 2018

Hi,

I havemaintain WordPress website that gets almost 1.5M page views a month.
    I'm currently running it on 1EURO Aruba Cloud server in Germany :smiley: but its not strong enough for peak visits. I need something at least 3x times stronger than Aruba Cloud S VPS.

I'm looking at VPS L SSD and I don't mind lower SSD speeds as I don't utilize that much storage but CPU performance needs to be good.
    It's either this or Hetzner CX41 or CX51 but that is double the price.

What is your take? Is VPS L 8Core actualy 8Core or are they "virtualized" or shared with multiple other VPS customers?
    I'm not saying i need dedicated 8cores but can I expect 4x CPU performance compared to ArubaCloud Small VPS with 1Core (E5-2650L v4) ?

• smilesmile Member
    edited September 2018

@Pontiac said:
    Hi,

I'm currently running it on 1EURO Aruba Cloud server in Germany :smiley: but its not strong enough for peak visits. I need something at least 3x times stronger than Aruba Cloud S VPS.

I'm looking at VPS L SSD and I don't mind lower SSD speeds as I don't utilize that much storage but CPU performance needs to be good.

What is your take? Is VPS L 8Core actualy 8Core or are they "virtualized" or shared with multiple other VPS customers?
    I'm not saying i need dedicated 8cores but can I expect 4x CPU performance compared to ArubaCloud Small VPS with 1Core (E5-2650L v4) ?

Either try it for a month and come back and give us feedback(contabo won't even describe the average ssd speeds for their plans) or get 3-4 arubacloud and load balance them. can do 1.5M easy.

• Do they ask for ID after order placed?

• @Hukin said:
    Do they ask for ID after order placed?

They didn't ask me for an id.

• @Hukin said:
    Do they ask for ID after order placed?

Didn't ask me for any, but I'm guessing they do checks every now and then.

• dfmcvndfmcvn Member
    edited September 2018

@Pontiac said:
    Hi,

Does your site have much dynamic contents? If not, then try some full page caching methods.

I'm using Cloudflare & W3TC full page caching with Redis & Browser caching with nginx rules & tmpfs for cache files. Easily handles ~2m pageviews every month.

Thanked by 1rovox
  • Ordered VPS M SSD and run nench got these write speeds.

dd: sequential write speed
    1st run: 137.33 MiB/s
    2nd run: 102.04 MiB/s
    3rd run: 102.04 MiB/s
    average: 113.81 MiB/s

Contacted Support who changed the sequential write throughput and now get.

dd: sequential write speed
    1st run: 278.47 MiB/s
    2nd run: 408.17 MiB/s
    3rd run: 422.48 MiB/s
    average: 369.71 MiB/s

Early days but quite impressed with their support who responded and sorted it within 30 minutes.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @LeonDynamic said:
    Early days but quite impressed with their support who responded and sorted it within 30 minutes.

They tend to reply quick, but don't expect quality replies at times because most responses are pre-written.

• I'm really happy with Contabo. I did not upgrade yet to the new plans but, VPS M is working well. I am a customer for ~ 1 year. I didn't experience any downtime yet.

• Prime404Prime404 Member
    edited September 2018

@neik said:

Thanks!

I finally got my thumb out of my ass and got a "VPS S SSD".

The benchmark can be found here:
    https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/10073816

And here is also a Serverscope one:
    https://serverscope.io/trials/z5r4

(Note: These benchmarks were made with default config and no interaction with support to unlock any I/O speeds etc)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Prime404 you going month/month? happy so far? Those benchmarks seems weird to me.

• @smile said:
    @Prime404 you going month/month? happy so far? Those benchmarks seems weird to me.

I pay month to month yes, because I prefer it that way because it makes it easy swapping between providers as I can cancel if the service turns out to turn sheite after a while.

I've used them in the past and have been happy with the service, but I'm not sure yet about these new plans as I barely have done any tests yet.

What seems odd about the results?

Thanked by 1smile
  • 16Gb/400Gb for €8.99 month? WOW!

• HifihedgehogHifihedgehog Member
    edited May 2019

@neik said:

Thanks!

@yongsiklee said:

Why Geekbench 4 only?

Why not Geekbench 4? Better late than never:

I was achieving 2820 single-core and 8522 multi-core in Geekbench 4 ( https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/11012991 ) with just their VPS S SSD package. I have been so impressed with their service (literally no downtime and snappy as ever with OpenLiteSpeed and CyberPanel) that I switched to their M tier. So now I have CyberPanel, various Docker containers, SQL Server, multiple WordPress sites, multiple Discourse forums, cloud storage, and a load of other goodies running on it with plenty of CPU power to spare. In the USA, unless I delved into the VPS black market, I would have to pay significantly more for such performance.

• @Hifihedgehog said:

@neik said:

Thanks!

@yongsiklee said:

Why Geekbench 4 only?

Why not Geekbench 4? Better late than never:

I was achieving 2820 single-core and 8522 multi-core in Geekbench 4 ( https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/11012991 ) with just their VPS S SSD package. I have been so impressed with their service (literally no downtime and snappy as ever with OpenLiteSpeed and CyberPanel) that I switched to their M tier. So now I have CyberPanel, various Docker containers, SQL Server, multiple WordPress sites, multiple Discourse forums, cloud storage, and a load of other goodies running on it with plenty of CPU power to spare. In the USA, unless I delved into the VPS black market, I would have to pay significantly more for such performance.

Necrooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

(Also, please consider that writing a review with your first post [in a year old thread] doesn't exactly instill confidence. )

Thanked by 1Hifihedgehog
  • HifihedgehogHifihedgehog Member
    edited May 2019

Thanks and sorry about that! :) Since the last post was mid-fall 2018 (this post is less than a year old), I didn't think it broke the necro rule in our community rules page. Generally, not replying to threads a year or more old has been the necro-ing rule in most communities I am a part of. Since I don't see any specifics for this community, what's the unspoken rule or guidelines here that isn't listed in our community rules page? So in the meantime, I'd kindly ask if you'd remove the warning from my moderation history since I have a good history online with web-tiquette.