Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Annually or monthly web hosting prices [discussion]
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Annually or monthly web hosting prices [discussion]

armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

Let's say you have a x hosting package for 1$ month and 12$ yearly. Now it's time for you to sponsor / advertise this package so you can get some clients, let's say with a banner.

What would you advertise? The monthly pricing or the annually one? Or even when you use a web design, you mostly need to add either the monthly price / yearly price for all your packages, what do you think attract the clients most?

This might actually look stupid, but there's some logic behind this as some companies[not mentioning names] swaped from advertising their monthly prices to yearly and saw an increase in orders, while some others the other way around.

Looking to see some opinions regarding this, : )

Comments

• It depends. Personally annually is cheaper than monthly X 12. Therefore usually annually. Sometimes both.

Thanked by 1armandorg
  • armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

@Ho-ost said:
    It depends. Personally annually is cheaper than monthly X 12. Therefore usually annually. Sometimes both.

Seems like you haven't made your mind yet. (Based on your signature :pensive: )

• @armandorg said:

@Ho-ost said:
    It depends. Personally annually is cheaper than monthly X 12. Therefore usually annually. Sometimes both.

Seems like you haven't made your mind yet. (Based on your signature :pensive: )

I did say sometimes both. 🤓

Thanked by 1armandorg
  • @armandorg said:
    Let's say you have a x hosting package for 1$ month and 12$ yearly. Now it's time for you to sponsor / advertise this package so you can get some clients, let's say with a banner.

What would you advertise? The monthly pricing or the annually one? Or even when you use a web design, you mostly need to add either the monthly price / yearly price for all your packages, what do you think attract the clients most?

Why not both? You can run A/B test if they allow. 50% A and 50% B. See which one does better. Personally, I'd just advertise monthly, unless annual gets a discount such as $10/yr versus $1/mo.

• I would not ask for people on how they would advertise, I'd ask
    what buyers are interested in.

I believe, this hardly depends on your potential customers group
    you're targeting to sell your services to.

If paid yearly anyway, I'd advertise the yearly price, simple as this.
    When paid monthly, do the monthly price with a small info about the
    yearly price.

Depending on your potential customers group, you should check,
    what they wan't to host. Some customers are testing their services
    and websites and therefore they need a cheap hosting space...

Thanked by 1imok
  • Ideally you would split test the promotion. But I would think that you would be better of promoting the annual plan. That way the cost of acquiring the customer is pretty much paid for upfront.

I did a coupon a few years ago... $6 for the first year of hosting (rather than $24). Got a good number of signups. Less than 50% actually used their new hosting package... The rest carried on for another year. So it worked out quite well.

• I think the standard approach is to use the wording "starting at [monthly price when full [x]year[s] are paid in advance".

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited September 2018

Not to be taken offensive at all but I would not advertise pricing like on your website:

People are either used to X.00$/mo (X$/mo) or X.99$/mo.

X.7 , X.5, X.4 looks a bit weird if you know what I mean. It "breaks" the design sorta (is that something one would say? Hope you get what I mean).

@Ympker said:
    Not to be taken offensive at all but I would not advertise pricing like on your website:

People are either used to X.00$/mo (X$/mo) or X.99$/mo.

X.7 , X.5, X.4 looks a bit weird if you know what I mean. It "breaks" the design sorta (is that something one would say? Hope you get what I mean).

I get your point in what you said, actually i was more into the annual / yearly plan though. Probably will re-edit them all and put their yearly pricing instead of monthly. Pointless. Booh.

Thanked by 1Ympker

@Ympker , thanks for the suggestion and making me re-think the monthly prices. Couldn't wait and made them all yearly, tvm mate. Don't ever get me in a position to update the website, more than 100 updates this month. Enough : |

• New client prefer to pay monthly What I believe. But could pay annually if you are a established provider.

Thanked by 1armandorg
  • Your site (still) desperately needs someone to /spellcheck.

Thanked by 1armandorg