Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Contabo changed their VPS pricing again
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Contabo changed their VPS pricing again

Prime404Prime404 Member
edited September 2018 in Providers

Seems like Contabo changed their pricing yet again on their affordable line of KVM virtual servers.. now the prices start from just 3.99 euros per month, but with some slight changes to the actual specifications for the machines.

"VPS 300
CPU: 2 CPU cores
RAM: 4GB
HDD: 300GB
3.99 euros per month

VPS S SSD
SSD: 200GB
CPU: four cores
RAM: 8GB"

Personally I haven't tried out these new packages yet, but the price looks awesome and may give Netcup a bit of solid competition.

https://contabo.com/?show=vps

Comments

• Donttabo LLC.

Thanked by 3fLoo netomx ShihabSoft
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited September 2018

SSD: 200GB

CPU: 4 cores

RAM: 8GB

for 4,99€/mo

Plus I still have contact name of support staff who delimited my SSD giving it "proper" 300 MB/s speeds.
    Heck why not! Hello Contabo! I'm back :smile:

Too bad summer is over because Contabo now has the perfect summer host starter pack:

VPS with 200GB SSD four cores 8GB RAM for 4,99€ + in-house cPanel license 11,99€/mo
    = 16.98 €/mo

Perfect start for a summer host who wants to host on own servers^^

Thanked by 2sky2018 webcraft
  • @Ympker said:
    Plus I still have contact name of support staff who delimited my SSD giving it "proper" 300 MB/s speeds :pensive:

Do they still limit the I/O on the VM's? Last time I used them I didn't have these issues and that was just 6-7 months ago.

Though, to be said, the I/O was quite abysmal on their non-SSD machines.

• @Prime404 said:

@Ympker said:
    Plus I still have contact name of support staff who delimited my SSD giving it "proper" 300 MB/s speeds :pensive:

Do they still limit the I/O on the VM's? Last time I used them I didn't have these issues and that was just 6-7 months ago.

Though, to be said, the I/O was quite abysmal on their non-SSD machines.

That I do not know unfortunately. But after calling them it always worked fine so that's a one-time thing^^

Thanked by 1sky2018
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Unlimited traffic: No additional costs due to traffic, you can use 100 Mbit/s without any bandwidth restrictions or throttling. (Only in case your server has an uplink faster than 100 Mbit/s: If average traffic consumption continuously exceeds 100 Mbit/s over a timespan of at least 9 days the connection is switched to 100 Mbit/s).

• damn man thats cheap. do they allow torrent?

• @creep said:
    damn man thats cheap. do they allow torrent?

There are like xxxxx countries better suited for torrenting in than Germany.

Thanked by 2netomx webcraft
  • @creep said:

I did torrent on one of their instances in the past with private trackers and I never received a single complaint for doing so, but I would definitely avoid using public trackers.

• @Neoon said:
    Unlimited traffic: No additional costs due to traffic, you can use 100 Mbit/s without any bandwidth restrictions or throttling. (Only in case your server has an uplink faster than 100 Mbit/s: If average traffic consumption continuously exceeds 100 Mbit/s over a timespan of at least 9 days the connection is switched to 100 Mbit/s).

That's only a policy that applies to their machines with 1gbit/s port as stated in the text and all their other servers have a connection that is capped to 100mbit/s.

• @Ympker said:

@creep said:

are they good for backup storage? I have 100gb+ football games. and maybe once a while stream through it. no transcoding needed.

• @Prime404 said:

@creep said:

I did torrent on one of their instances in the past with private trackers and I never received a single complaint for doing so, but I would definitely avoid using public trackers.

just need some precaution, must always torrent through vpn.

• @creep said:

@Ympker said:

@creep said:

are they good for backup storage? I have 100gb+ football games. and maybe once a while stream through it. no transcoding needed.

Should be ok :)

• Which DCs do they use? Hetzner?

• @pike said:
    Which DCs do they use? Hetzner?

They've got two own data centers in Munich and Nuremberg.

Thanked by 3pike Ympker sky2018
  • @pike said:
    Which DCs do they use? Hetzner?

Their own DCs in Munich and Nuremberg. Since the latter is much bigger, I assume any new VPS's are located there.

Thanked by 1pike
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited September 2018

mailinabox said: Donttabo LLC.

Another quality post from you. You should receive a honor prize!
    What's your problem with Contabo? Have you ever used them in the near past? I have two servers with them since 2016 and they are more than excellent.

Prime404 said: Do they still limit the I/O on the VM's? Last time I used them I didn't have these issues and that was just 6-7 months ago

I don't know about any limit, my dd test is this:

root@xxx:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=4k conv=fdatasync
    4096+0 records in
    4096+0 records out
    268435456 bytes (268 MB) copied, 2.89253 s, 92.8 MB/s
    root@xxx:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=32k conv=fdatasync
    32768+0 records in
    32768+0 records out
    2147483648 bytes (2.1 GB) copied, 21.6142 s, 99.4 MB/s
    root@xxx:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=32k conv=fdatasync
    32768+0 records in
    32768+0 records out
    2147483648 bytes (2.1 GB) copied, 21.974 s, 97.7 MB/s

it's a vps-m with normal HHD, no SSD

creep said: are they good for backup storage? I have 100gb+ football games. and maybe once a while stream through it. no transcoding needed.

I have installed proxmox in it and I have created a NAT backup server on the half of the space (250GB) and several small machines with the rest of the space. It is more than good for backup server.

creep said: do they allow torrent?

Don't torrent (except of Linux ISOs!) with any known German provider. They take copyright and other abuse very seriously.

Thanked by 2Ympker TimboJones
  • @jvnadr said:
    Don't torrent (except of Linux ISOs!) with any known German provider. They take copyright and other abuse very seriously.

Depends on the providers you know, the stuff you share and the trackers you share to.

@Prime404 said:

That's only a policy that applies to their machines with 1gbit/s port as stated in the text and all their other servers have a connection that is capped to 100mbit/s.

It says faster then 100Mbit, 1Gbit = 1000Mbit.
    So basically 100Mbit with burst, nothing more.

• @Neoon said:

@Prime404 said:

For that price I honestly can't complain^^

• @Ympker said:

@Neoon said:

@Prime404 said:

You are not Neoon.

Thanked by 1Ympker

@Yura said:

@Ympker said:

@Neoon said:

@Prime404 said:

You are not Neoon.

I did just correct a point, not complaining.

Thanked by 2Yura Ympker
  • how does their panel look like to manage vpses? google does not give some results on how i search.

• perryoo11 said: how does their panel look like to manage vpses? google does not give some results on how i search.

Just the basics, but it works well

Thanked by 1perryoo11
  • Wow, thank you for good news! Wrote to support about free upgrade.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Benchmark please?

Any idea which processor their SSD VPS series is using? (want to know the single core speed)

• Is there a way to install Windows without paying the surcharge?

• @storm said:
    Is there a way to install Windows without paying the surcharge?

Nope, as their panel is rather limited.

• @WebGuru said:
    Benchmark please?

Any idea which processor their SSD VPS series is using? (want to know the single core speed)

1. https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/143552/review-contabo-vps-m-ssd
    2. CPU they declare: Intel® Xeon® E5-2620v3, E5-2630v4 or 4114 processor

Thanked by 1gol3m
  • HukinHukin Member
    edited September 2018

-

• smilesmile Member
    edited September 2018

How many of you are with contabo on the quarter/semi-annual/annual plan which has additional discount?
    I am asking this because I notice they no longer list a service level agreement.

Also can anyone post their bench with disk IO. Want to see if they still capping speeds.