Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Colocrossing Buffalo Speeds --- Virmach Buffalo speed issues?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Colocrossing Buffalo Speeds --- Virmach Buffalo speed issues?

JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran
edited September 2018 in General

I am just curious if everyone who uses services inside CC Buffalo are happy with the network throughput? Shall we compare speed tests?

Comments

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2018

Maybe CC's LG (lg.buf.colocrossing.com) or Virmach's NY LG (ny.lg.virmach.com) can be a point to start.

I am currently getting ~120 Mbit/s from Choopa NYC, ~75 Mbit/s from Level3 Dallas, ~25 Mbit/s from Serverhub Frankfurt. Similiar results from both looking glass downloads. Based on my experience CC Buffalo has never had best network connectivity, but it might be okay depending on your expectations.

• I wonder why I get 30MB/sec downloading the 100MB file from CC's LG and 5MB/sec from Virmach's LG.

I suppose its possible that Virmach's network links in Buffalo could be overloaded.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@JoeMerit said:
    I wonder why I get 30MB/sec downloading the 100MB file from CC's LG and 5MB/sec from Virmach's LG.

I suppose its possible that Virmach's network links in Buffalo could be overloaded.

Or the server you download from is saturated, or many other people are simply testing st the same time. Do you have similar results from your server on this network ?

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

@JoeMerit said:
    I wonder why I get 30MB/sec downloading the 100MB file from CC's LG and 5MB/sec from Virmach's LG.

I'm not sure about overload, can you please open a ticket could be something else. Please do ping me the ticket id so I can look into it personally.

• @BharatB : how about you just find out why the test files on your looking glass download much slower than the test files on the CC looking glass hosted on the same network.

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

@JoeMerit said:
    @BharatB : how about you just find out why the test files on your looking glass download much slower than the test files on the CC looking glass hosted on the same network.

I've reported this, we'll be sorting it out ASAP.

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

JoeMerit said: I wonder why I get 30MB/sec downloading the 100MB file from CC's LG and 5MB/sec from Virmach's LG.

JoeMerit said: @BharatB : how about you just find out why the test files on your looking glass download much slower than the test files on the CC looking glass hosted on the same network.

Our LG is on a single 1Gbit VPS and it more realistically represents a shared 1Gbit port on a live/active server. I've spoken to our team to see how we can improve our LG to give more consistent results, and possibly add or replace it with 10Gbit or dedicated server where available.

However, with that said, the network on that server is not overloaded. At any given time in the past 30 days, 40Mbps to 240Mbps have been used by all customers combined, so it's a fairly quiet server. There may definitely be something wrong with the LG -- and we'll look into that. 5MB/s is definitely not a good representation of the network you should expect. If your issue is with real-world performance on your service, I do highly recommend opening a ticket to provide more information. Most people are happy with the connection in Buffalo, but we do get a higher volume of complaints after some sales, when people far away from Buffalo order a service in Buffalo and are not satisfied with the network (mainly to China.)

I will provide an update here once all team members have had a look and come to a decision/solution on Monday.

• For the last couple of years I have found the Buffalo network reasonable.
    From my Virmach Buffalo VPS on a shared 1gb

Speedtest from Seattle, Washington, USA 
            Download Speed: 13.27 MB/sec
            Upload speed: 20.51 MB/sec
    Speedtest from Los Angeles, California, USA 
            Download Speed: 17.11 MB/sec
            Upload speed: 16.62 MB/sec
    Speedtest from Chicago, IL, USA 
            Download Speed: 1.10 MB/sec
            Upload speed: 9.67 MB/sec
    Speedtest from New York City, New York, USA 
            Download Speed: 40.24 MB/sec
            Upload speed: 22.13 MB/sec
    Speedtest from Atlanta, Georgia, USA 
            Download Speed: 23.57 MB/sec
            Upload speed: 16.59 MB/sec

• Interesting. Virmach moved the lg to a new IP address and now its faster, although still nowhere near as fast as the CC lg.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2018

JoeMerit said: Interesting. Virmach moved the lg to a new IP address and now its faster, although still nowhere near as fast as the CC lg.

Have you checked to see if the CC LG uses mod_deflate, not uncommon and gives artificial results?

edit: nvm just checked CC looks to be using brotli, virmach is using gzip and brotli > gzip that will be the difference.

edit 2, my mistake, they both use brotli so, that blows that out of the water, I will just slowly back away now feeling silly.