Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS Update - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS Update

Comments

• akzakz Member

any other host want a new customer and can offer something similar to cvps but with better service shoot me a pm ready to throw in the towel.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2013

@akz said:
    any other host want a new customer and can offer something similar to cvps but with better service shoot me a pm ready to throw in the towel.

You can try http://eoreality.net - they have 2 GB VPS for $7.00/mo with the lowendbox6 coupon in several locations. Also http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/liquidhost-20yr-256mb-kvm-in-dallas-48yr-2gb-openvz-in-seattle-la/ is still working ($48/year 2 GB in LA/Seattle).

• thank god i left chicagoVPS when i did. i learned my lesson from the first major downtime we had with them a few months back when we were down for a few days and now i see this lol sucks to you guys that stayed with them because i see the same bullshit answers coming from them now on this downtime that we got from them the last time they had the big downtime. come on peeps get it already ChicagoVPS has some major issues and some major haters who will continue to take down there servers time and time again. get out now while you can or get used to these major outages that you should all come to expect if you host with them.

• @smccloud said:
    The lack of replies from ChicagoVPS made me decide to switch providers. Went with FortaTrust and am certain that their $3.95 monthly plan (1 core, 1GB RAM & 20GB HDD space) will be better than ChicagoVPS since they replied to my pre-sales questions in under 10 minutes.

that was a really bad decision. search WHT or google for Fortatrust (formerly known as ServerPronto)and you won't find anything positive.

@smccloud said:
    Just signed up with you. Got my VPS mostly working, just need to update the DNS entries that Namecheap has and it isn't liking my VPS IP :(

that (signing up with Patrick) was a really good decision :)

• They completely stopped responding to my tickets for the last 3 days... waiting in the dark. I can't even find out if they do have a backup of my files.

• @Misfire They don't, forget it, move on...

• @DomainBop said:
    that (signing up with Patrick) was a really good decision :)

>
    Now just to wait for DNS to fully propagate.

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited June 2013

@Jack said:
    I can match the offers in Buffalo,Chicago and Dallas :)

@Jack - can you match their $12/year 256MB deal?

• @Jack - I'll give you a hint. Have you noticed those 6 advertisements on the right hand side of the webpage? The one that is blue in colour and says LEB VPS for $1/month and says ChicagoVPS in small letters :-)

• MollyMolly Member

My VPS has been restored from the central backup, so I guess CVPS will do the same for all of their clients.

• We have 256mb KVM for $10/year, among some other pretty good KVM deals. KVM servers can be reinstalled by template or ISO so as easy as OVZ to manage for the client.

• @Jack said:
    CPU wise?

They are distributed over a number of nodes where we have space. CPU is at least an E3-1240. Nodes are not just filled with 256mb plans

• My VPS was restored from central backup.. the last backup I did was in April, which isn't too bad. But I was hoping they had a weekly backup, but they did not.......

O well.

• Now I still have 2 VPS can not access, I try to reboot many time but no responded.
    If chicagovps support staff stay here please update my 4 ticket, 2 ticket for 5 vps offline and 2 ticket of billing dept.

OIY-257861

JTH-917541

JOJ-517861

IXY-177816

I have 12 VPS with chicagoVPS, 2 of 12 are offline, 3 of vps restored with fresh install :(

• They have the worst support ever.
    They just keep looking into my simple network issue for 3 days.
    Let's see how long exactly it takes to get a real "reply".

• Last night my vps was finally restored. Before they restored it they asked me to please not reply to the ticket so it stays in restoration status and can be queued for restoration. I agree with many that their communication has not been great but I'm sure they are doing their best with the limited amount of staff.

Thanks to cvps for finally restoring my vps! Definitely going to be doing off site backups from now on.

• That is exactly what I've been through.
    I have 4 nodes with the same networking issue, and I get nothing meaningful from their support for 3 days.
    I believe they missed something in there hypervisor that should push the dns setting to vps.
    If you want the network working without there intervention, you have to manually set dns server within your VPS.
    If you are using ubuntu, you can edit /etc/resolv.conf

@akz

@WellGrounded said:
    My external networking isn't working for 3 of VPS with ChicagoVPS. I can't ping google.com for example. I've sent multiple tickets with no response. Please if someone from ChicagoVPS sees this, can they please address the tickets with "External networking" as subject, I need these VPS back up and running ASAP

• I got an answer to one of my tickets finally saying, "This has been reinstalled, please allow a few minutes for the OS to finish installing"

Anyway, here we are 8 hours later and it still says restoration and does not work. So I had to make yet another ticket.

• akzakz Member

@webflier said:
    That is exactly what I've been through.
    I have 4 nodes with the same networking issue, and I get nothing meaningful from their support for 3 days.
    I believe they missed something in there hypervisor that should push the dns setting to vps.
    If you want the network working without there intervention, you have to manually set dns server within your VPS.
    If you are using ubuntu, you can edit /etc/resolv.conf

yeah I read the solution on ubuntu, it is however a temporary solution to something that shouldnt happen. In the interval of this ticket they worked on the vps 3 separate times and noone bothered to fix it. It took them 2 days to enable tun/tap, and now 48hours + which just got a reply "we will be working on it shortly"

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

Quick update, we are really buckling down and making huge progress. Our tickets are back under control and should be all caught up by the end of today.

I read some comments on here, and if something is wrong, please open a ticket. There is no way for us to know if an individual VPS is broke or not and without someone bringing it to our attention it will not get fixed.

Thanks for everyone's patience.

Regards

Chris

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited June 2013

@CVPS_Chris good to hear. Installing VM with a requested OS should take seconds and then another few seconds to enable tun/tap. I hope that I will be finally able to use your service and support will respond faster. It's 9th day after all...

Thanked by 1akz

@Spirit, you are being unrealistic and do not understand how overwhelming the process really was or the amount of man power it took to get everything back to where it is now.

That being said, real progress has been made today and expect things to return to normal in the next day or so.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited June 2013

When you say back to normal in day or so we, your clients, translate this misinformation into some week or so. And that's the problem. Tomorrow will be the same. You will come here and say things will be back to normal in few hours. It's not going to happen. Plenty complains. Then you will come back and say things will be back to normal in some day. It's not going to happen. And so on...
    Your support team is from client perpective (just read comments!) utter crap or simply not enough people capable of most simplest task like reinstall fresh VM with working tun/tap in 9.. soon 10 days and that isn't normal under any circumstances, don't you think?
    How many headaches and ticket replies would be prevented if someone would actually read tickets...
    1. please install new VM, no need to restore data
    2. let it be debian
    3. with tun/tap enabled

Which part in those 3 steps is too hard to understand? Because each step require with your team another, another and another.. ticket. And in 9 - 10 days from hack still isn't done. And now I am unrealistic?
    I would like to say "Good work, Chris!". Really I would. Just like I said to Nick 3 days after his hack. I know that you're bigger host but even after 9 days I can't say anything close to that.
    I was really happy to see NJ location and this made me to give you second chance but at this point I give up. You can give my recently yearly prepaid VPS, in case it will work one day as it should, to anyone you want.

Thanked by 1NRyder
  • NRyderNRyder Member

@Spirit said:
    When you say back to normal in day or so we, your clients, translate this misinformation into some week or so. And that's the problem. Tomorrow will be the same. You will come here and say things will be back to normal in few hours. It's not going to happen. Plenty complains. Then you will come back and say things will be back to normal in some day. It's not going to happen. And so on...
    Your support team is from client perpective (just read comments!) utter crap or simply not enough people capable of most simplest task like reinstall fresh VM with working tun/tap in 9.. soon 10 days and that isn't normal under any circumstances, don't you think?
    How many headaches and ticket replies would be prevented if someone would actually read tickets...
    1. please install new VM, no need to restore data
    2. let it be debian
    3. with tun/tap enabled

Which part in those 3 steps is too hard to understand? Because each step require with your team another, another and another.. ticket. And in 9 - 10 days from hack still isn't done. And now I am unrealistic?
    I would like to say "Good work, Chris!". Really I would. Just like I said to Nick 3 days after his hack. I know that you're bigger host but even after 9 days I can't say anything close to that.
    I was really happy to see NJ location and this made me to give you second chance but at this point I give up. You can give my recently yearly prepaid VPS, in case it will work one day as it should, to anyone you want.

Now... Where is that "Thank You, "Like" and "Vote Up" Button!

Thanked by 1tux
  • SpiritSpirit Member

Maybe if I wouldn't be so personally involved (as client) I would feel about all this matter differently. Hack wasn't really their choice and as client I gave them some hard time but at the end they did things right and I can use VPS the way as before. For me is this case closed.

• I have honestly walked away from ChicagoVPS after around 2 months of usage. Just due to the poor communication after the hack. Went to Iniz and already ordered my second server just so I could properly run my own DNS.

@Spirit,

Agreed things could have gone smoother, and comparing our situation to Nicks is comparing night to day. Anyway, I expect some people to be unhappy so Ill leave it at that.

Thanks.

• @CVPS_Chris said:
    Quick update, we are really buckling down and making huge progress. Our tickets are back under control and should be all caught up by the end of today.

I read some comments on here, and if something is wrong, please open a ticket. There is no way for us to know if an individual VPS is broke or not and without someone bringing it to our attention it will not get fixed.

While I guess this is great news for some, I've been asking for a restore of ONE vps from central backup since Wednesday of last week. Despite saying over and over that I have backed up to central backup and that's where I want the restore done from, I've received no less than 5 responses that have stated....

"Unfortunately backups for your container from our master backup repository are not available. If you utilized our free Central Backup feature to create a restore point for your service we can backup from that data. If you did not utilize that free service we do not have backups and will be unable to restore any of your data. "

.... even though I've said, repeatedly in the ticket that I want the restore done from Central Backup.

It's been 7 days of "6-12 hours....", "24 hours...." "up to 48 hours...." and I'm still in the same place I've been since the hack over a week ago.

• IFR70IFR70 Member
    edited June 2013

My server was finally restored after 9 days... it's a lot of time, but I don't want to make CVPS feel guilty, because is not easy to handle this kind of situation with thousand of client's tickets... the true guilt is (are) the cracker(s)... in my opinion CVPS is only a victim.

• akzakz Member
    edited June 2013

approx 72hours ticket replied "will be working on this shortly" 24hours later still no reply or updates, signed up with dotvps.