Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS Update - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS Update

Comments

• @smccloud said:
    I got a reply from Chris & Mark on my ticket. Still trying to figure out a way to resolve my firewall issue since there is currently no Serial Console access.

I guess you don't have anything like virtualmin/webmin installed on your VPS? I had that installed on mine (my VPS right now has no data and is useless - waiting on a restore). Anyway - virtualmin/webmin has its own built in console so you can get into the server even if you accidentally locked yourself out.

I messed up something with my ssh authorized keys once and was able to get in using virtualmin/webmin. My problem was I had the permissions set wrong on my authorized_keys file - strange thing was, I swear I tested it and it worked and then when I tried it the next day it didn't. Weird.

• @liquidice said:
    I messed up something with my ssh authorized keys once and was able to get in using virtualmin/webmin. My problem was I had the permissions set wrong on my authorized_keys file - strange thing was, I swear I tested it and it worked and then when I tried it the next day it didn't. Weird.

Oh, I have Webmin installed. But disabled by default and since I blocked every single port that does me no good.

• I still have had no answer from anyone, both tickets still not answered and my VPS still down. At least they should be giving an ETA or something so I know if I have to start looking for another VPS.

• smccloudsmccloud Member
    edited June 2013

@rampage said:
    I still have had no answer from anyone, both tickets still not answered and my VPS still down. At least they should be giving an ETA or something so I know if I have to start looking for another VPS.

I agree. I'm currently locked out of my VPS due to a firewall mistake on my part and was told to SSH in. Doesn't work so well when the script errored out after the line that says drop all traffic.

• I am reading this correctly, the Virtual Server Control Panel options were removed due to possible exploit?

• @Jack said:
    'Possible' doesn't come into it, there WAS an exploit and a patch/new version has been released.

>

But still update as to when we will be able to get some sort of control back.

• Well, its been one week now, still no VPS, still no meaningful communication. Repeated, vague promises as to when we'll be able to connect to our VPS again.

From June 21st e-mail: "We still have a few Xen machines that had severe damage to them, we are still going to working on them and will be ready tomorrow."

Severe damage? 3 days later, still not working.

All things considered, I don't think we'll be hosting any client stuff w/CVPS.

Timing is great, too -- I was just about to recommend them to a client.

But hey, they are honest about being low end, so can't say we weren't warned.

• SpiritSpirit Member

After a lot of struggle and almost week of downtime they somehow set up new VM for me. And now... it's down again :) Aren't they great?

• @bitmonki said:
    Well, its been one week now, still no VPS, still no meaningful communication. Repeated, vague promises as to when we'll be able to connect to our VPS again.

From June 21st e-mail: "We still have a few Xen machines that had severe damage to them, we are still going to working on them and will be ready tomorrow."

Severe damage? 3 days later, still not working.

All things considered, I don't think we'll be hosting any client stuff w/CVPS.

Timing is great, too -- I was just about to recommend them to a client.

But hey, they are honest about being low end, so can't say we weren't warned.

Yeah, I am ok with a 'lowend vps' but I am not ok with 'offline vps'

Even though I did not pay a lot I would still like a little service.

And maybe they could reply to my ticket after 4 days?

• @Jack said:
    smccloud I messaged CVPS_Chris about it, due to the amount of exploits.. they have someone checking over the code before making it live.

>

Still be nice to get an actual update. My VPS is not accessible via SSH and I just need to delete one line from my /etc/rc.local & reboot it to fix the issue.

• The lack of replies from ChicagoVPS made me decide to switch providers. Went with FortaTrust and am certain that their $3.95 monthly plan (1 core, 1GB RAM & 20GB HDD space) will be better than ChicagoVPS since they replied to my pre-sales questions in under 10 minutes.

• 4core, 2G Ram & 85GB HDD with $2.99/m from Reverse is lot better...

• @smccloud said:
    The lack of replies from ChicagoVPS made me decide to switch providers. Went with FortaTrust and am certain that their $3.95 monthly plan (1 core, 1GB RAM & 20GB HDD space) will be better than ChicagoVPS since they replied to my pre-sales questions in under 10 minutes.

You might be wrong.

Google "fortatrust suck", they have a ton of bad reviews and fraudulent actions.

Eg. http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/www.fortatrust.com
    WebHostingTalk has a ton of fortatrust reviews (that are not good on the majority)

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • nikcubnikcub Member

usually you get what you pay for - its either oversold or undersupported

i'm sticking with AWS and DigitalOcean for backups/secondary, no more low end hosts.

If you haven't tried digitalocean yet I suggest you do - the specs may not look as great on paper but you are getting dedicated 512MB of RAM, 20GB SSD, etc.

• smccloudsmccloud Member
    edited June 2013

@MorningIris said:
    4core, 2G Ram & 85GB HDD with $2.99/m from Reverse is lot better...

>

@Patrick said:
    WebHostingTalk has a ton of fortatrust reviews (that are not good on the majority)

>

Well, I will use them for a couple of days to host my email addresses and cancel if I don't like them. I'm hoping to get access to my ChicagoVPS server again in order to make a backup of the files I care about (DBs really) and then pick my final choice. So far so good, but we will see I guess. I do have 7 days to decide.

Update: They can't even get a VPS provisioned correctly, I am thinking of saying good bye already. No SSH access, PuTTY just says "Network error: connection timed out" and their solution was to change my root pw......

• SpiritSpirit Member

@nikcub but Digitalocean is low end host. Furthermore they are still in ealy learning phase, they experiment, they switch things, plans and occasionally lose some clients data or backups, as some of us here experienced. Their product is far from mature.
    From my experience they are comparable to semi- decent LEB host but far under top range of some LEB hosts we use.

Thanked by 1nikcub
  • akzakz Member

10+ hours for a ticket and still not a single reply..

• @Patrick said:

>

Just signed up with you. Got my VPS mostly working, just need to update the DNS entries that Namecheap has and it isn't liking my VPS IP :(

• Just got my VPS back, and the data is no more than a week old (I haven't checked closer than that).

Yay!

But I'm still considering Virpus for clients.

• My external networking isn't working for 3 of VPS with ChicagoVPS. I can't ping google.com for example. I've sent multiple tickets with no response. Please if someone from ChicagoVPS sees this, can they please address the tickets with "External networking" as subject, I need these VPS back up and running ASAP

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@nryder for what reason exactly?

• SpiritSpirit Member

@Fliphost maybe because after one week he still didn't get a product he paid for. Just guessing.

• ErikTErikT Member

They finally restored my vps including their weekly backups. The backup was 3 months old. I'm glad they had one though, last time they lost all of my data. I've moved to a new host. If I don't get a refund, I'll go the BBB route.

• akzakz Member
    edited June 2013

@WellGrounded im in the same boat as you, been now approx 18 hours no reply to that ticket.

@NRyder BBB is toothless.

• NRyderNRyder Member

@Fliphost said:
    nryder for what reason exactly?

I think you guys know well enough the reasons why I am filling a complaint with BBB if you are a customer of CVPS or have been following on what is going on with CVPS these past 7 days.

False hopes, False advertising, Unresponsive customer service just to name a few.

If they will ignore me on my support tickets, I'm sure they will not ignore me anymore once BBB notify them of my complaint.

• MollyMolly Member
    edited June 2013

Hello,

CVPS deleted my VPS two days after the hack, while it was working perfectly at the time, and set me up a new one with a different IP address and no data in it. I asked them twice to restore my central backup and my ticket status has changed from "restoration" (red colour) to "open-level 2" (green colour). What does this mean?

Thank you

• @Molly that means they are showing off to you that they're doing something, but in fact, nothing, you won't get anything back, they are just pretending, waiting for time passes by...

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2013

@nikcub said:
    i'm sticking with AWS and DigitalOcean for backups/secondary, no more low end hosts.

You have to be kidding me. I purchased a VPS from DigitalOcean, and then 30 minutes later their network went offline for more than an hour in the Netherlands location. And the only reason they don't care about fair share CPU is because their CPU is already limited (what gives me a load of 0.20 on any decent VPS gives me a load of 5.00+ on theirs, with 100% CPU usage), honestly I don't see how you can run anything on their lousy servers.

Thanked by 1erhwegesrgsr
  • MollyMolly Member

@MorningIris said:
    Molly that means they are showing off to you that they're doing something, but in fact, nothing, you won't get anything back, they are just pretending, waiting for time passes by...

Thank you, but why they are pretending and they don't tell the truth? I read above and on other topics that some VPS have been restored.