Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Future of Shared "Premium" Web Hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The Future of Shared "Premium" Web Hosting

patpat Member
edited June 2013 in General

Hello, I'm currently a student (university...Silicon Valley) and do freelance WordPress and SEO work. I'm curious to hear others thoughts about the future of shared "premium" web hosting. By premium I mean anything that's actually worth more than $7/month. I have been itching to get into this market for a while now but am not sure if it's realistic and worthwhile to do so.

Comments

• you're in a wrong place...

• patpat Member

@MorningIris said:
    you're in a wrong place...

I see :-) Will have to dig around and see what else sparks my interest.

• Definitely happens. Enterprise, businesses etc do buy it. I know a lot of organizations pick up shared hosting for a large amount.

• OPOP Member

I'm just wondering what University you're attending. Perhaps I can buy you a beer... I mean soda?

• patpat Member

@concerto49 said:
    Definitely happens. Enterprise, businesses etc do buy it. I know a lot of organizations pick up shared hosting for a large amount.

Thanks for the feedback. My consulting is in a lull right now so I'm unsure what to do...

@OP said:
    I'm just wondering what University you're attending. Perhaps I can buy you a beer... I mean soda?

Near Palo Alto :-)

• RuchirablogRuchirablog Member
    edited June 2013

I already do this http://www.sharedclub.com

• marcmmarcm Member

@pat look at @Ruchirablog's site, very simple and straight to the point :-)

We do premium shared hosting as well with SSD cached arrays, Varnish Cache and so on. The typical customer doesn't have the budget to administer a VPS and doesn't want to do it himself, so we offer a decent compromise. That's pretty much what the premium shared hosting market is.

Thanked by 1Ruchirablog
  • patpat Member
    edited June 2013

@marcm said:
    pat look at Ruchirablog's site, very simple and straight to the point :-)

We do premium shared hosting as well with SSD cached arrays, Varnish Cache and so on. The typical customer doesn't have the budget to administer a VPS and doesn't want to do it himself, so we offer a decent compromise. That's pretty much what the premium shared hosting market is.

Neat concept, just don't know if there's enough motivation on my end to get into a already saturated market. Seems like it takes a while to get enough clients to cover lost opportunity costs.

• marcmmarcm Member

@pat my motivation to enter this business was to provide better customer service than the establishment and because I have allot of experience with Linux, networking and hardware. Don't do it as a hobby and don't do it because it seems cool. To provide quality you will have to put in long hours of work, do research, write code, and so on. Established companies that make millions of dollars in profits every year from hosting started mostly in the 90's, early 2000's, and they have legions of drones who do all this stuff for them. The average small hosting provider is on his own.

• patpat Member

@marcm Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it and will think this over in more depth. Seems like effective advertising/marketing for small premium shared providers is difficult.