Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who offers budget VPS with massive disk space?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Who offers budget VPS with massive disk space?

libro22libro22 Member
edited September 2011 in Providers

Do you guys know if there are budget VPS providers who offer large disk spaces (like 100gb+)?

I need storage for my backup files for 3 servers :(

Thank you!

Comments

• japonjapon Member
    edited September 2011

buyvm offer up to 2TB, hostigation up to 300GB. There are few.

• BuyVM offer it. If you don't need root there are always seedbox providers (Feral Hosting provides 333 GB for $15).

• buyvm has no stocks for their storage servers :(

• japon said: hostigation up to 300GB

I've only listed out to 300GB, the node has 10TB to offer, I am firm at 4½¢/mo per gb of space for any amount you want.

• buyvm hasn't had stock for their storage servers for quite some time.

Fixed :)

Someone was complaining on their last sales offer about that.

• Go59954Go59954 Member
    edited September 2011

You best choice is: Hostigation

You can get Backup120:

64mb Guaranteed RAM 96mb Burst Ram - 120gb disk space - $16.00 USD Quarterly

Or get Backup90 if 90gb works:

64mb Guaranteed RAM 96mb Burst Ram - 90gb disk space - $12.00 USD Quarterly

• thanks for your suggestions!

i'll try hostigation and i'm still trying to contact another provider if they can offer bigger space.

please suggests more providers if you know any. thanks in advance.

• There are many providers which offer VPS with big HDD space, but it is usually expensive. Tell us what is your target price, so we can narrow the options. Usually general purpose VPSes would be more expensive than VPSes purposely built as backup space (because of RAID10 arrays vs RAID5/RAID6 arrays for instance).

• I got lots of HD space unused on some dedicated servers, maybe we can work something out -- most of them are RAID 1.

• Get a dyndns.org free dynamic dns hostname to point to your home PC. Install a pair of 1TB SATA drives in your PC ($65USD each from newegg.com) and SW RAID. Install rsnapshot on your home PC. Configure. Voila! 1TB RAID 1 drives for $120. Divide that over couple years and it's cheap and large storage.

• rajprakash said: Get a dyndns.org free dynamic dns hostname to point to your home PC. Install a pair of 1TB SATA drives in your PC ($65USD each from newegg.com) and SW RAID. Install rsnapshot on your home PC. Configure. Voila! 1TB RAID 1 drives for $120. Divide that over couple years and it's cheap and large storage.

Of course if you have a pretty decent internet connection, and that isn't the situation generally.

• Advantagecom – $60/Year 512MB Xen VPS with 199GB Storage:

http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/advantagecom-60year-512mb-xen-vps-with-199gb-storage/

• Sure, but when mentioning Advantagecom you should mention the following:

http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/advantagecom-60year-512mb-xen-vps-with-199gb-storage/#comment-31535

• japon said: Sure, but when mentioning Advantagecom you should mention the following:

http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/advantagecom-60year-512mb-xen-vps-with-199gb-storage/#comment-31535

Hehehe, nuff said

• It is a good idea to encrypt your backup archives before uploading them to a third party server anyway.

• It is a good idea to encrypt your backup archives before uploading them to a third party server anyway.

Yes. How do you do that via bash? I just know Truecrypt for Windows?

• japon said: Yes. How do you do that via bash? I just know Truecrypt for Windows?

Truecrypt is multiplatform.
    What I normally do is to create cyphered volumes with

truecrypt -c

And I mount them with

truecrypt --mount

In both cases you will be prompted by an assistant. Anyway:

truecrypt --help

Advice: you can't use truecrypt in OpenVZ.

Thanked by 1japon
  • Nice, didn't know that. Is there an alternative to Truecrypt for OpenVZ then?

• Install one of these packages/commands: aespipe, ccrypt, bcrypt, etc...

• How much space you looking for? Can sort you something out for have a node that has 2 ip's left but a ton of hdd.

• I need about 250-300gb of disk space, I don't know what amount of RAM is enough for this since I'm only doing transferring of files.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

• I'm also interested in this but my uses would be personal music streaming with subsonic and light torrenting, any offers?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2011

libro22 said: I need storage for my backup files for 3 servers :(

If you are uploading to someone else's server, you should check out the programs called 'bup' and 'duplicity', those combine encryption and incremental backup.

But my suggestion would be, why not just store your backups at your home.

I doubt all of the 300 GB are modified frequently, and if not, you can get away with quite modest transfer amounts during backups next to the initial one, if you use a smart program which copies only modified files or parts of them (e.g. 'rdiff-backup').

• I'd love restoring 300gb of backups with my 1mbps upload, especially considering my internet is useless when the upload is maxed out.

• dmmcintyre3 said: I'd love restoring 300gb of backups with my 1mbps upload, especially considering my internet is useless when the upload is maxed out.

For your connection upload it needs 29 days of continuous upload according to my calculation :X But I guess 300 gb of data will take several days for restoration in most hosting providers as well.

Sometimes I wonder how Youtube takes backup, what a costly project ;)

• @rm_

that won't work for me. i always make weekly backups and store 2 weeks worth of files :) i'm not always connected online so i'm satisfied with the cron doing its job :)

• reworewo Member
    edited September 2011

@libr022

just let rsync make incremental backups. in combination with hard links "cp -rlp" is backup perfect.

simple example for daily backup:

cp -rlp  $yesterday $today
    rsync -rltpDOv --delete username@your_server:/folder $today

"--delete" will not delete files from $yesterday but only from $today.

I backup files three times a day with this method. almost no additional space is used it backup is usually done in a few minutes.

• ^

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks again :)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@rewo
    rdiff-backup automates that for you, and in addition does not rely on FS supporting hard links (which may be not available if you are backing up e.g. to a Windows machine over CIFS).

• true although (in my defense) it probably does happen often that some copies file from the server thought local box machine to window box. but it might and in that case rdiff-backup is much better solution ;-)