Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do I hire a reliable System Admin?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do I hire a reliable System Admin?

Anyone with any tips or recommendations on finding a good and reliable system administrator for some wordpress sites? I am ok doing basic stuff, but would like to focus more on the content side of things.

I would get a managed wordpress host, but I have some certain requirements that make it kind of tough. (Needs to be in certain country and needs to have tight security). Any advice?

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I think to be honest you are better off finding a managed wordpress platform instead anyone claiming to offer sys admin services for just a couple of WP sites is likely to be pretty basic.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Budget?

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited July 2018

Since you want tight security, the answer is simple.

Find someone local. LET cannot help you.

And, no, budget is 7 bucks won't work in real world. Expect to pay 70 bucks per hour for a real one. Well, 35/hr might work.

Make him sign NDA as well.

Alternatively, LET offers many seasoned sys admin for 7.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2018

definitely need to avoid Indian developers is my recommendation as soon they do get access to system - it will be pointless to secure!
    I personally had experience in past well advertised corp or premium member on WHT - the guy started creating additional root users for no reason (why? if the dickhead had a root access) as I did monitoring of his activity!

Another more inexpensive path would be locating a web hosting company in your local area. Phone 'em up and ask for a custom managed hosting.

• vovlervovler Member

Hire some indian guy on Fiverr.

Managed wordpress hosting is most likely what you need, or create with wordpress.com and add your custom domain.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited July 2018

@dharmakaya

"wordpress" and "tight security": query returns empty result set.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@jsg said:
    @dharmakaya

>

you need to make sure that plug-ins are developed properly.

• @WebProject said:
    definitely need to avoid Indian developers is my recommendation as soon they do get access to system - it will be pointless to secure!
    I personally had experience in past well advertised corp or premium member on WHT - the guy started creating additional root users for no reason (why? if the dickhead had a root access) as I did monitoring of his activity!

Ok I personally wouldn't generalize that Indian's are bad just because a single user is bad, it is really relative as it is with any developer from any nation.

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited July 2018

@zafouhar

You're right. My guess is the number of bad eggs increases with the population, and with a population ~4X greater than the US, you see ~4 times more (not accurate) incompetent sysadmins. Then again, you should find a greater amount of competent sysadmins.

• jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited July 2018

FlamesRunner said: You're right. My guess is the number of bad eggs increases with the population, and with a population ~4X greater than the US, you see ~4 times more (not accurate) incompetent sysadmins. Then again, you should find a greater amount of competent sysadmins.

What happens in places like India is that IT is the only accessible, high paying profession. So you have masses of Indians (often with pressure from parents) jumping into a field they wouldn't pursue if they lived in a richer economy.

The competent are heavily diluted by the incompetent. It's not proportional to the pool of candidates in North America.

Thanked by 2FlamesRunner BlaZe
  • Well known community member: https://www.knownhost.com/managed-wordpress-hosting.html

Never personally used them.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • @deank said:
    Make him sign NDA as well.

Now he'll have to hire a lawyer too.

Well, the dude wants security.

It doesn't come cheap. If it does come cheap, I'd be very wary.

• jhjh Member
    edited July 2018

Compsci degree courses vary a lot by country and I would guess this also has a lot to do with the incompetence of many Indian devs.

What country do you need it to be based in and what are your security requirements precisely? Also how many sites do you have?

We may be able to provide what you're looking for. We're based in the UK, ISO27001 certified and have all of the right paperwork. Whether we'll be in your budget (given you're asking on LET) is another question...

• @jh said:
    Compsci degree courses vary a lot by country and I would guess this also has a lot to do with the incompetence of many Indian devs.

What country do you need it to be based in and what are your security requirements precisely? Also how many sites do you have?

We may be able to provide what you're looking for. We're based in the UK, ISO27001 certified and have all of the right paperwork. Whether we'll be in your budget (given you're asking on LET) is another question...

In India, you can technically 'buy' degrees, so, don't trust degrees.

• quickquick Member

yum update -y

You are welcome

And, in Russia, all new driver's license comes with a bottle of vodka.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@jiggawattz said:
    What happens in places like India is that IT is the only accessible, high paying profession. So you have masses of Indians (often with pressure from parents) jumping into a field they wouldn't pursue if they lived in a richer economy.

I don’t think that’s true. My Indian friends tell me that the Indian national service (i.e. gov’t jobs) is still the largest employer by an order of magnitude. Since appointments are exam- and education-based, this is viewed as the prime social mobility opportunity. The INS is similar to national services in Germany, England, etc but much bigger due to India’s 10-figure population.

• I have some Indian friends who are both honest and skilled. Saying you shouldn't hire an Indian is just plain wrong and ignorant.

Thanked by 2BlaZe Aidan
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

I do managed services. Certainly not within LET pricing. But you get featured on digg and your wwbsite will handle it no matter what.

@William is also a person I vouch for and @Andrej as well if you need a full HA setup.

Thanked by 1404error
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited July 2018

@WebProject said:

@jsg said:
    @dharmakaya

>

Yes, I know that mantra. But: That translates to "throw away most plugins and re-develop them myself" ... which ends in an empty result set because even an experienced and good PHP (or Python, or ...) developer can't create a secure plugin. The very best they could do is to create one that is not particularly insecure.

@jiggawattz said:

The competent are heavily diluted by the incompetent. It's not proportional to the pool of candidates in North America.

How dare you! Happily there aren't many of that kind here but it's always shocking to see that there still are some people who actually use their brain. Can't you just blurb some pleasant mantra or meme like most others?

Myself I stay away from Indians in IT. I'll confess it right away that my experience is limited and statistically insignificant. But the ones I was in contact with left me with a rather unpleasant experience set. In (the rather higher end of) IT, that is; otherwise they are probably charming human beings.

• LeviLevi Member

Rack911.

• nqservicesnqservices Member
    edited July 2018

@LTniger said:
    Rack911.

Hear good things about them a few years ago. Any personal/direct experience? At least on WHT the guy (I think the name was Steven) was some kind of a "legend".

edited July 2018

He is indeed a legend, the good kind.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@WebProject said:

@jsg said:
    @dharmakaya

>

The problems with WordPress security stretch far, far beyond the quality of the plugins you use.

• 404error404error Member
    edited July 2018

@dharmakaya said:
    Anyone with any tips or recommendations on finding a good and reliable system administrator for some wordpress sites? I am ok doing basic stuff, but would like to focus more on the content side of things.

I would get a managed wordpress host, but I have some certain requirements that make it kind of tough. (Needs to be in certain country and needs to have tight security). Any advice?

Contact Scott from bigscoots and maybe even ask to talk with Justin. I'm sure that they'll be able to tel you if they are the right fit for you.

What I can tell you right away is that their support is fast, and they don't mind telling you want went on (shit does hit the fan sometimes). I value honesty.

Edit; www.bigscoots.com

• @MikePT said:
    Certainly not within LET pricing.

>

So if 7 is not an option.. fk..it.. I agree to 8.
    Now clear your schedule I need you full time.

//Prepares to write a ticket per hour.

Thanked by 1MikePT