Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this a Good laptop for the price
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is this a Good laptop for the price

Hi,

I was looking to buy a new laptop and saw this laptop selling on Walmart.

Was wondering if this is a good deal for this laptop considering the price $599.

https://walmart.com/ip/507473681

Huawei MateBook D Signature Edition 14” IPS FHD Touch, AMD Ryzen™ 5 2500U , 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Radeon Vega 8 Graphics, Dolby ATMOS, Win 10 Home 64-bit

Thanks

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Sounds good, but not too good

Thanked by 1TheKiller
  • Do you need touch screen?

I could not think of any use case with a
    touch screen on my laptop.

There might be cheaper ones out there, without touchscreen

Thanked by 2vimalware raindog308
  • edited July 2018

I think it is great deal.

Did you read the reviews. Mostly positive.

Amazing Value
    Average rating:5out of5stars, based on0reviews
    This laptop is an incredible value. The AMD Ryzen 5 2500U is very quick and responsive.   The screen bezel is very narrow - even though the screen is a full 14 inches, this laptop is the same size as most 13.3 inch laptops. Sound quality is better than pretty much any laptop I've heard - and coming from a thin and light - pretty amazing. This laptop has an aluminum body and feels expensive and very well made, even though the price is very low. The AMD vega graphics work great - I can play modern games at 1080P at reasonable frame rates that are playable - far better than most laptops. Battery lasts all day. It's like a Macbook Air that's half price, but far better performance, screen and sound.

Sorry, don't know how to format this.

• pikepike Veteran

Looks like a MacBook, wonder why apple didn't sue them over this.

• xaocxaoc Member
    edited July 2018

@Timtimo13 said:
    Do you need touch screen?

I could not think of any use case with a
    touch screen on my laptop.

There might be cheaper ones out there, without touchscreen

I imagine the touch is not that great for that price either.

• pike said: Looks like a MacBook, wonder why apple didn't sue them over this.

I heard that some line ups of Macbooks were designed by third party. Huawei might go with the same vendor to have them design similar stuffs.

• you should also take a look at this one. I think this is best windows laptop ever created.

https://microsoft.com/en-us/p/huawei-matebook-x-pro-laptop/8n4k86d4j006/4X0P?activetab=pivot%3aoverviewtab

there is also a 2k display version at lower price.

Thanked by 1TheKiller
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Keep in mind that a touchscreen generally means a glossy screen finish. Not great for outdoor use due to glare.

• I won't recommend Huawei . Instead use Asus, HP or macbook

• Everyone is going to give you a different recommendation/opinion, You should stick to what you find appealing.

I’m personally running a Dell XPS 15 9560 w/ i7 7700hq, 16gb ddr4, GTX1050ti, 512G pcie ssd, 4K screen (No touch) and i’m loving it. Most durable and solid performer i had in many times.

That Huawei looks pretty good, but warranty might be tricky. Watch out for this.

I would personally take a Xiaomi Air or Pro over this Huawei but still looks great @ price point.

• FoxelVox said: Everyone is going to give you a different recommendation/opinion, You should stick to what you find appealing.

I’m personally running a Dell XPS 15 9560 w/ i7 7700hq, 16gb ddr4, GTX1050ti, 512G pcie ssd, 4K screen (No touch) and i’m loving it. Most durable and solid performer i had in many times.

That Huawei looks pretty good, but warranty might be tricky. Watch out for this.

I would personally take a Xiaomi Air or Pro over this Huawei but still looks great @ price point.

Is the 4k option worth it?

• Adam1Adam1 Member
    edited July 2018

Quinten said: Is the 4k option worth it?

I have a 4K XPS 15 and a WQHD+ XPS 13 and I would never again consider a 1080p laptop, easily my favourite aspect of these laptops is the display.

• @Quinten said:

FoxelVox said: Everyone is going to give you a different recommendation/opinion, You should stick to what you find appealing.

Is the 4k option worth it?

Exactly what @Adam1 said. These laptops are absolute monsters, best ive owned

• Exactly what @Adam1 said. These laptops are absolute monsters, best ive owned

XPS 15 is a hit and miss in terms of QA, you may get a good one or not. And don't get the most powerful CPU, because it will thermal throttle, and the fan will scream.

• FoxelVoxFoxelVox Member
    edited July 2018
    • double post -
  • SlushySlushy Member

@greattomeetyou said:

Exactly what @Adam1 said. These laptops are absolute monsters, best ive owned

XPS 15 is a hit and miss in terms of QA, you may get a good one or not. And don't get the most powerful CPU, because it will thermal throttle, and the fan will scream.

Every laptop is a hit or miss. There is not a single brand that puts out consistent laptop quality.

• Adam1Adam1 Member
    edited July 2018

greattomeetyou said: XPS 15 is a hit and miss in terms of QA, you may get a good one or not.

True to a degree, although I'm not sure it's quite as bad as some would have you believe. People dont complain about macbooks because if there is a fault (and they definitely have them) you can just take it back and you're unlikely to complain. Dell sells in volume and PC users are more likely to discuss the problem on forums. The other brands just dont have the volume so theres not too many complaints to balance it out. That being said I do acknowledge that Dell definitely could do much better on QA. My XPS 13 misses key strokes some days, others not. My XPS 15 battery bulged, although they did replace it FOC.

Slushy said: And don't get the most powerful CPU, because it will thermal throttle, and the fan will scream.

This is good advice, although it does depend on environment and usage, but I will agree that this is an issue with all ultrabooks, not specifically the XPS 15. I wont conceed this point to an ultrabook that is >2KG or more than 15mm thick ;)

• I think it's good. Huawei is now the best quality brand in China, much better than Lenovo as people known.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Quinten said: Is the 4k option worth it?

Heck, is the 1080 worth it?

On a 14" laptop, I am very skeptical people really see a difference between 1920x1080 and 1366x768 or whatever it is. If they do...2X more than that?

Immediately someone will reply how their minds are blown daily by their 16K special-order but then outside of display-o-philes, for your average user, I think higher screen resolution is simply a way for laptop manufacturers to charge more.

4K on a 14"? Are you holding it up to your face?

Timtimo13 said: I could not think of any use case with a touch screen on my laptop.

Another way for laptop manufacturers to charge more.

It almost makes sense if you have a 360 hinge and you like the non-tablet tablet-ish interface that usually entails. On a non-360 hinge it's stupid.

The laptop is kind of an evolved, mature, undifferentiated (i.e., commodity) product. The CPU, GPU, RAM, HDD type, and ports change over time, but generally on a more or less equivalent basis...makers aren't going to start raking in dough because of USB3 or because last year was a 2.2Ghz and this year it's a 2.5Ghz. So they try various things to jack up the price: touchscreen, 4K displayers, fold-back displays, Apple's silly touch bar, etc.

There have been a few genuine innovations (I like mag-type connectors versus easily damaged plugs, some people like the 360 foldback) but a lot of laptop stuff in the last few years has been a desperate search to charge a premium over commodity.

• @TheKiller said:
    Hi,

I was looking to buy a new laptop and saw this laptop selling on Walmart.

Was wondering if this is a good deal for this laptop considering the price $599.

https://walmart.com/ip/507473681

Huawei MateBook D Signature Edition 14” IPS FHD Touch, AMD Ryzen™ 5 2500U , 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Radeon Vega 8 Graphics, Dolby ATMOS, Win 10 Home 64-bit

Thanks

good enough to worth 599.

• Adam1Adam1 Member

raindog308 said: On a 14" laptop, I am very skeptical people really see a difference between 1920x1080 and 1366x768 or whatever it is. If they do...2X more than that?

>

Immediately someone will reply how their minds are blown daily by their 16K special-order but then outside of display-o-philes, for your average user, I think higher screen resolution is simply a way for laptop manufacturers to charge more.

>

4K on a 14"? Are you holding it up to your face?

really? how about when coding, I can review 2-3x as many lines of code at once compared to a 1080p or way more than 720p, it's really simple. It's not just pixels, it's clarity. I can have a full 1080p view portal in 1/4 of my screen, essential for some web developers like myself. Productivity++ IME. I've had to use a 1080p laptop recently and it felt so old before even trying to use it. For me the difference is night an day, like switching from HDD to SSD.

• Adam1Adam1 Member

raindog308 said: Heck, is the 1080 worth it?

So you're suggesting that what, 720p is good enough? thats 112dpi on a 14" display. Equivalent to a 480x320 display on a 5" phone!

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Adam1 said:

raindog308 said: Heck, is the 1080 worth it?

So you're suggesting that what, 720p is good enough? thats 112dpi on a 14" display. Equivalent to a 480x320 display on a 5" phone!

Yep, that’s what I’m saying.

• @raindog308 On a screen that small, I’ll admit: I can’t really tell the difference between a 1080p panel and 4K panel. (the OP will be better off just getting a 1080p display)

Thanked by 1TheKiller