Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where's your windows's license from?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Where's your windows's license from?

gizzvngizzvn Member
edited June 2013 in General

Well i alway use my MSDN account to get windows's licenses for my computer and servers. What about you guys? Do u buy it at store, or from some cheap sellers or buy direct from hosting,dedicated providers?

Comments

• Had it for free when I was a student at Rutgers. Used the key once for a month. If I decide to get another Windows VPS, am I allowed to use that same key again?

• gizzvngizzvn Member

@seraphkz: No, you cant. Every key can active only one computer :P

• Depends if it was a multiple activation key.

• @zfedora said:
    Depends if it was a multiple activation key.

Is there a way to check that?

p.s. sorry for hijacking the thread

• If you still have access to MSDN;

Otherwise, I'm not sure really. Best way would be to try it out :)

• Dreamspark (for my one Windows Server), and my school's Educational Volume Licensing agreement (which has pretty awesome T&C) for Win7/8.

• Windows SPLA program.

• gizzvngizzvn Member
    edited June 2013

@concerto49: u are hosting provider so of course, u must have it for your customers :P
    Seem like everyone most gets their keys from school. But what will u do if u have more VPSes? U cant get free forever :)

• Dreamspark for Windows Server 2012 Datacenter.

• @gizzvn said:
    concerto49: u are hosting provider so of course, u must have it for your customers :P
    Seem like everyone most gets their keys from school. But what will u do if u have more VPSes? U cant get free forever :)

Stop using Windows...?

• @gizzvn said:
    concerto49: u are hosting provider so of course, u must have it for your customers :P

You'll have to pay some day. Rent a license if you need Windows.

• @gizzvn I don't use Windows. = PROFIT!

• gizzvngizzvn Member

@Janevski: Lol, i know linux is good but some software i code only works in Windows, i havent learn how to code in linux much. And Windows can do the better support software than Linux.

@concerto49: I think i will buy instead of rent when that times come.:D

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@Janevski said:
    gizzvn I don't use Windows. = PROFIT!

great comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I have OEM with sh computers I buy.
    Windows 7 as a trial only. slmgr for the win.
    I can, however, get a sh pc with win7 oem too, just they are too expensive now, will wait for a few months still.
    Who knows, maybe I will take advantage of some upgrading program to get it dirt cheap.
    Contrary to what most ppl say, the days of win98 when linux was so far ahead in terms of stability, security and speed are over.
    Windows 7 is really good, still lacking in security, but that is the OS model, you can only improve this much.

• Windows? License?

• @gizzvn said:
    Janevski: Lol, i know linux is good but some software i code only works in Windows, i havent learn how to code in linux much. And Windows can do the better support software than Linux.

concerto49: I think i will buy instead of rent when that times come.:D

Take a look at Wine and mono-based apps too :-)

• StinyStiny Member

MSDNAA
    I've never seen that activation number though.
    I've used the same key at least 8 times.

• MSDNAA, too. I heard normal keys could be used 10 times, however I haven't installed, re-installed, re-re-installed windows enough to confirm.

• gizzvngizzvn Member

@dreamer2908: U can use them in KVM VPS, u know :P

• Pre-release Windows 7 Pro key, $30 with my brother's @tamu.edu email. :D

• BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited June 2013

I have 1 Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard 64 bit and 1 Windows Server 2012 Standard 64 bit spare licence, not doing anything with it (these are not from dreamspark, directly from college)

First 2 people who send me a PM will get one of them (you can choose either 2008 or 2012)

EDIT:
    Windows Server 2008 licence has been given away

EDIT 2:
    2012 Also has been given away now