Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which of the following would you upgrade for gaming?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which of the following would you upgrade for gaming?

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited July 2018 in General

Heya,

So I was thinking about upgrading my Gaming rig so I was wondering which of the components you think are most in need of an upgrade to improve gaming experience?

Current setup:

Mb: ASRock H87 Pro4

i5 4670

16 GB DDR3 RAM Corsair Vengeance (2x8)

Nvidea GTX 780 Ti 3GB GDDR5

1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm HDD

500GB SSD Samsung Evo

It appears to me however that CPU wise I can't do much of an upgrade as all CPUs the MB supports are mostly around the performance of the current CPU and there is not much space for improvement, eh?

I've exchanged some small stuff of my PC so far but never a whole MB. Is it very much work unplugging and reattaching everything? :P Would an MB upgrade be the best improvement here?

Comments

• Get used i7 and used 980/980 TI

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@stefeman said:
    Get used i7 and used 980/980 TI

The problem is the "best" compatible i7 the mb can handle is an i7 4790(K). Judging from benches and reviews that is not very much a difference to my current CPU so Id probably either get a new MB and CPU that is actually significantly better or just upgrade the GPU.

• kasslekassle Member
    edited July 2018

i'm sure it's still run great for recent games in 1080p. so i prefer upgrade monitor to 4K first, next graphic card, then nvme (if supported), and the combo (processor + mainboard + ram) for last upgrades.

edit: typo

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • vmp32kvmp32k Member

I don't pretend to have complete knowledge about GPUs but I'd recommend getting a 1060/1070 -- I have a 1070 which has held up nicely for 2K gaming -- and prices seem to finally go down again.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • My skills :p

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

It mostly depends on which games you play. Stuff like Cities Skylines is very CPU heavy, while modern AAA titles generally favor GPU.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited July 2018

@FHR said:
    It mostly depends on which games you play. Stuff like Cities Skylines is very CPU heavy, while modern AAA titles generally favor GPU.

Atm mostly LoL, CS:GO, Witcher3, AC Origins, Royale Realm, Metro 2033.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Go for GPU then

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Ympker said:
    Heya,

So I was thinking about upgrading my Gaming rig so I was wondering which of the components you think are most in need of an upgrade to improve gaming experience?

Current setup:

Mb: ASRock H87 Pro4

i5 4670

16 GB DDR3 RAM Corsair Vengeance (2x8)

Nvidea GTX 780 Ti 3GB GDDR5

1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm HDD

500GB SSD Samsung Evo

It appears to me however that CPU wise I can't do much of an upgrade as all CPUs the MB supports are mostly around the performance of the current CPU and there is not much space for improvement, eh?

I've exchanged some small stuff of my PC so far but never a whole MB. Is it very much work unplugging and reattaching everything? :P Would an MB upgrade be the best improvement here?

ROFL. Is not a gaming community.

Thanks.

• YuraYura Member

GPU, no doubts. Then next step would be toreplace mobo for recent CPU and NVME support. Upgrading your monitor to 4K or multi monitor system would enhance your gaming experience too. So GPU is top priority.

P.S. Haven't been playing for ages but confident this is the way.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • I recommend upgrading your life to getting laid more often.
    And that counts by playing GTA ;)

• @Yura said:
    GPU, no doubts. Then next step would be toreplace mobo for recent CPU and NVME support. Upgrading your monitor to 4K or multi monitor system would enhance your gaming experience too. So GPU is top priority.

P.S. Haven't been playing for ages but confident this is the way.

I mean (theoretically) you could get a PCIe to M.2 NVMe adapter :]

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@huntercop said:
    I recommend upgrading your life to getting laid more often.
    And that counts by playing GTA ;)

Lul :P