Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostMaze VPS Review - June 2018
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostMaze VPS Review - June 2018

skarzskarz Member
edited July 2018 in Reviews

Recently I have been looking for a 'unmetered' VPS to run a Tor relay on. One of the first few providers you'll see when you search for unmetered VPS is HostMaze. I researched them and found mixed reviews. I figured for such a low cost I might as well try them out.

This is a short review. The speeds I received (tested with speedtest-cli) were significantly lower than promised, which theoretically could have been remedied on their end. That being said they never responded to a single email or support ticket. I even gave them approximately 72 hours to respond to my request for refund to which they never replied. Fortunately I was able to get my $1.50 USD back through a PayPal dispute case.

I have read online that only one person runs HostMaze, that I cannot confirm. I am not sure what the status of the business is, but as I said over the course of a week they never responded to me.

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2018

Even without support replying to you $1.50 for an unmetered gigabit VPS is a hell of a deal. Consider that limited CPU might be a bottleneck.

• skarzskarz Member
    edited July 2018

@MikeA said:
    Even without support replying to you $1.50 for an unmetered gigabit VPS is a hell of a deal. Consider that limited CPU might be a bottleneck.

I agree, I can do without support for most things. That being said they were advertising gigabit speeds when I think the fastest speed I received was less than 160Mb/s.

And let's face it, unmetered really isn't unmetered. I asked them when they throttle accounts and of course they never responded. Just for reference, OVH throttles after 10TB of traffic.

@skarz said:

@MikeA said:

I agree, I can do without support for most things. That being said they were advertising gigabit speeds when I think the fastest speed I received was less than 160Mb/s.

And let's face it, unmetered really isn't unmetered. I asked them when they throttle accounts and of course they never responded. Just for reference, OVH throttles after 10TB of traffic.

Well yeah, ofc, that gigabit is probably shared among 200 other 256MB VPS so they can actually make a few bucks profit.

• skarzskarz Member

@MikeA said:

@skarz said:

@MikeA said:

Well yeah, ofc, that gigabit is probably shared among 200 other 256MB VPS so they can actually make a few bucks profit.

What good does it do to advertise a gigabit connection when the customer will actually only be able to use 20% of it?

HostMaze is a shady company, shady marketing practices, and for all we know is defunct as they don't offer any sales or technical support.

• IshaqIshaq Member

@skarz said: Fortunately I was able to get my $1.50 USD back through a PayPal dispute case.

Phew.

@skarz said:

@MikeA said:

@skarz said:

@MikeA said:

What good does it do to advertise a gigabit connection when the customer will actually only be able to use 20% of it?

HostMaze is a shady company, shady marketing practices, and for all we know is defunct as they don't offer any sales or technical support.

I doubt they say anywhere that they guarantee 1Gbps 24/7 or offer dedicated gigabit connection. They probably even state somewhere it's a shared connection.

• skarzskarz Member

@MikeA said:

@skarz said:

@MikeA said:

@skarz said:

@MikeA said:

I doubt they say anywhere that they guarantee 1Gbps 24/7 or offer dedicated gigabit connection. They probably even state somewhere it's a shared connection.

Digital Ocean doesn't specifically guarantee 1Gbps 24x7 either but at least they respond to support requests. The lowest I averaged was around 300Mbps.

edited July 2018

@skarz said:
    Digital Ocean doesn't specifically guarantee 1Gbps 24x7 either but at least they respond to support requests. The lowest I averaged was around 300Mbps.

DigitalOcean doesn't offer gigabit unmetered, so people don't buy their service to hammer the port 24/7 or use it as a seedbox. Anyways DO is probably much bigger and probably has at least 10Gbit on each system.

• skarzskarz Member
    edited July 2018

@MikeA said:

@skarz said:

DigitalOcean doesn't offer gigabit unmetered, so people don't buy their service to hammer the port 24/7 or use it as a seedbox. Anyways DO is probably much bigger and probably has at least 10Gbit on each system.

For what it's worth, here's my seedbox with another cheap VPS provider:

Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
    Testing from LeaseWeb Netherlands B.V. (37.48.111.237)...
    Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
    Selecting best server based on ping...
    Hosted by Tilaa B.V. (Amsterdam) [1.75 km]: 2.302 ms
    Testing download speed................................................................................
    Download: 3018.86 Mbit/s
    Testing upload speed................................................................................................
    Upload: 683.94 Mbit/s

• Do you have any idea how much a gigabit connection costs for the provider, even if it consists of the lowest quality bandwidth you can find? It'll be around 200 usd/month for the provider to give you unmetered, unshared gigabit.

You're paying less than 1% of that, and then there's other costs such as hardware and ips. The fact that you're probably getting 50mbit unmetered at the bottom-line is already amazing.

Adjust your expectations based on price.

Thanked by 3Shazan feezioxiii bap
  • szarkaszarka Member

@teamacc said:
    Do you have any idea how much a gigabit connection costs for the provider, even if it consists of the lowest quality bandwidth you can find? It'll be around 200 usd/month for the provider to give you unmetered, unshared gigabit.

You're paying less than 1% of that, and then there's other costs such as hardware and ips. The fact that you're probably getting 50mbit unmetered at the bottom-line is already amazing.

Adjust your expectations based on price.

Right?

Am I the only one who thinks this review must be a sneaky ploy to get me to buy one of these? I mean, I don't even need one, but when has that ever stopped a true LET poster?