Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OneProvider - not so good experience.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OneProvider - not so good experience.

So I bought one of those cheap dedicated servers at OneProvider for the sake of non-critical file hosting with quite low expectations due to them being a reseller. They're a reseller of online.net so I thought it would work OK with very little support.

Got my server quite quick and was pleased thus far, but within the first 30 minutes of having the server in my virtual possession I did start having issues. First server I got refused to install properly so they issued a replacement automatically for me.

However, the replacement was iffy as it came with a pre-installed OS with already set credentials and hostname still left unchanged (even PTR record was unchanged). My theory here is that they did simply transfer it to me without wiping any data and this is rather awful in so many ways.

After this server was wiped and reinstalled, I thought it would be time to check if they could live up to their so called "2.5Gbit/s" bandwidth on the machine - NOPE. Like I did expect, they did not and they simply sell servers with 1Gbit/s network and advertise them with higher bandwidth on their website than they deliver.

I did even verify this by checking the link speed of the only network adapter:
cat /sys/class/net/enp1s0/speed

So I did contact their support to point this out and their answer to this was:

"Hello,

Please note that the server is on a shared network, thus we cannot guarantee the minimum bandwidth performance you will obtain. It may depend on the average network load, peak time, services running on the server and such. With that said, you are indeed on a 2.5Gbps network but are "limited" due to the shared policy which will not provide a dedicated 1Gbps network performance.

Regards,

OneProvider / Support Department"

Not sure how that's supposed to work when the physical hardware on the machine limits the connection to 1gbit/s and there is no way for it to peak at any hour of the day.

So to sum it up: Not very satisfied and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone as they do not even have control over their hardware, as well as their support is very limited and try to mislead the customer.

Comments

• vmp32kvmp32k Member
    edited June 2018

That's why I always use full-disk encryption when renting dedis or (kvm) vps so that at least at rest the data would be safe.

Prime404 said: the replacement was iffy as it came with a pre-installed OS with already set credentials and hostname still left unchanged

Did you explore a little before reformatting? I can't imagine they would give you another customers machine without formatting so it would be good to have proof. Maybe they simply manually installed whatever-os, so they would know that it worked this time, and gave it to you as-is.

Prime404 said: time to check if they could live up to their so called "2.5Gbit/s" bandwidth on the machine - NOPE. Like I did expect, they did not and they simply sell servers with 1Gbit/s network and advertise them with higher bandwidth

That sounds scummy indeed; I have one of their cheap C2750 machines which is advertised as "unmetered@1gbps" but I do have a second (unconnected) ethernet port on-board so have you checked if you have one? Maybe they expect you to do your own interface-bonding.

One pet-peeve that I have with OneProvider is, that I was promised IPMI at checkout but it turned out I have to request a session which has to be manually approved during normal business/support hours. I already had a situation where I was setting up the encrypted rootfs and the machine (on occasion) wouldn't come back online after rebooting 1/3 times... would have been really fuckin neato to have IPMI at that point but support didnt react for an hour and I managed to work around the problem in that time.

• Prime404Prime404 Member
    edited June 2018

@vmp32k said:
    That's why I always use full-disk encryption when renting dedis or (kvm) vps so that at least at rest the data would be safe.
    That sounds scummy indeed; I have one of their cheap C2750 machines which is advertised as "unmetered@1gbps" but I do have a second (unconnected) ethernet port on-board so have you checked if you have one? Maybe they expect you to do your own interface-bonding.

Their own support did confirm that it was not 2.5gbit/s and tried to get away with it:

"It is a shared 2.5Gbps line with 1Gbps port, let us know if you have more questions

Regards,
    Removed
    OneProvider / Support Department
    My location: Southern Europe"

And last reply:

"Well, this actually depends on the datacenter, in that case this server is racked in DC5 and those models come with a 1Gbps NIC rather than the usual 2.5Gbps based for the rest of datacenters (Amsterdam and Paris DC2/DC3). Anyhow, you will get similar results as servers in the other datacenters do not normally allow speeds higher than 1Gbps despite including a 2.5Gbps NIC.

Regards,
    Removed

• vmp32kvmp32k Member

Ah yeah that does sound like false advertising.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

@Prime404 said:
    So I bought one of those cheap dedicated servers at OneProvider for the sake of non-critical file hosting with quite low expectations due to them being a reseller. They're a reseller of online.net so I thought it would work OK with very little support.

Got my server quite quick and was pleased thus far, but within the first 30 minutes of having the server in my virtual possession I did start having issues. First server I got refused to install properly so they issued a replacement automatically for me.

However, the replacement was iffy as it came with a pre-installed OS with already set credentials and hostname still left unchanged (even PTR record was unchanged). My theory here is that they did simply transfer it to me without wiping any data and this is rather awful in so many ways.

After this server was wiped and reinstalled, I thought it would be time to check if they could live up to their so called "2.5Gbit/s" bandwidth on the machine - NOPE. Like I did expect, they did not and they simply sell servers with 1Gbit/s network and advertise them with higher bandwidth on their website than they deliver.

I did even verify this by checking the link speed of the only network adapter:
    cat /sys/class/net/enp1s0/speed

So I did contact their support to point this out and their answer to this was:

"Hello,

Please note that the server is on a shared network, thus we cannot guarantee the minimum bandwidth performance you will obtain. It may depend on the average network load, peak time, services running on the server and such. With that said, you are indeed on a 2.5Gbps network but are "limited" due to the shared policy which will not provide a dedicated 1Gbps network performance.

Regards,

OneProvider / Support Department"

Not sure how that's supposed to work when the physical hardware on the machine limits the connection to 1gbit/s and there is no way for it to peak at any hour of the day.

So to sum it up: Not very satisfied and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone as they do not even have control over their hardware, as well as their support is very limited and try to mislead the customer.

@Prime404 said:

@vmp32k said:

Their own support did confirm that it was not 2.5gbit/s and tried to get away with it:

"It is a shared 2.5Gbps line with 1Gbps port, let us know if you have more questions

Regards,
    Removed

And last reply:

"Well, this actually depends on the datacenter, in that case this server is racked in DC5 and those models come with a 1Gbps NIC rather than the usual 2.5Gbps based for the rest of datacenters (Amsterdam and Paris DC2/DC3). Anyhow, you will get similar results as servers in the other datacenters do not normally allow speeds higher than 1Gbps despite including a 2.5Gbps NIC.

Regards,
    Removed

They are a joke. The sooner you realize that and run, the better you'll be.

• @K4Y5 said:
    They are a joke. The sooner you realize that and run, the better you'll be.

That's what I realized rather quick and I should've really checked the reviews on WHT before even considering to order one of their services. This is most likely the worst experience I've had with a budget hosting company in quite some time - most of the others at least deliver what's stated on the product page.

• @vmp32k said:
    Ah yeah that does sound like false advertising.

They claim that it's not and I still have a ticket going with them regarding this. I guess I should ask for a refund asap as I doubt I can trust that my data stays safe with a provider like this.

• Oneprovider is pretty shitty. They set my server to 100mbit/s and only after I complained I got 1gbit/s.

They are a bit like kimsufi: Kinda shitty and broken, but once your server is up it's smooth sailing until something breaks, in which case you restore a backup to a fresh server and let the old one expire instead of contacting their support.

• And they still defend their false marketing:

"This is one of our cheapest budget models, in the 2.5Gbps NICs it is possible to reach speeds higher than 1Gbps between servers in the same datacenter and within Paris region, however as a general rule, international connections will never reach speeds higher than 1Gbps.

Regards,

• So you buy from OneProvider, a company that has a long history of having very shitty support, and you are mad when you get shitty support?

Also, it's like 8 dollars a month, lower your standards ffs.

• @maldovia said:
    So you buy from OneProvider, a company that has a long history of having very shitty support, and you are mad when you get shitty support?

Also, it's like 8 dollars a month, lower your standards ffs.

I'm well-aware of it being a cheap service and it's barely 14 USD a month, but even if it's cheap it's scummy to falsely advertise specifications on their product page. In most areas of the world this is considered as advertising fraud.

And yeah, I should've looked into the reviews before ordering.. should've just went with Online.net directly and not through a reseller.

Thanked by 1joepie91
  • huckenhucken Member

online.net and oneprovider are about the same, OP just routes your ticket to online - the same shit will happen with online. online switched their servers form 2.5gbit to 1gbit, i think OP just didn't adapt or have some old 2.5gbit in stock. which doesn't matter because you couldn't use the 2.5gbit in the first place cause of their fair usage. i once squeezed the full speed through the pipe via torrent for like 2-3 hours, you instantly geht a mail to stop it and they will say you should only use like 100-150mbit overall and don't be over that 95 percentile, which was more like 99,5 after my calcs... thanks

so i have to agree with false advertising

• rdesrdes Member

"1 The port speed represents shared / fair usage / best effort, and does NOT guarantee a full reach of the listed speed. We may be able to offer guaranteed bandwidth in certain locations. Please contact our sales team to have a quote built for you. Even in unmetered locations, using an amount of bandwidth that is deemed “unfair” may result in your speed to be capped. Please contact support prior to purchasing a server to obtain a realistic estimate of what may be deemed unfair, as this amount varies between locations."

Read the TOS/FAQ before orderding servers.. ;).

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2018

@rdes said:
    "1 The port speed represents shared / fair usage / best effort, and does NOT guarantee a full reach of the listed speed. We may be able to offer guaranteed bandwidth in certain locations. Please contact our sales team to have a quote built for you. Even in unmetered locations, using an amount of bandwidth that is deemed “unfair” may result in your speed to be capped. Please contact support prior to purchasing a server to obtain a realistic estimate of what may be deemed unfair, as this amount varies between locations."

Hiding restrictions in the fineprint and advertising with outright false or misleading claims is illegal in most Western countries, and for very good reason.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

One has to be realistic, however... Use common sense...

Would you trust a seller selling you a new Lamborghini for £7? You wouldn't.

So why do you trust a provider that advertises you 2.5Gbit/s unmetered for less than a cost of your monthly broadband... ? That's just asking for trouble...

Thanked by 1estnoc
  • rdesrdes Member

@joepie91 said:
    Hiding restrictions in the fineprint and advertising with outright false or misleading claims is illegal in most Western countries, and for very good reason.

In which countries? ;)

OVH:
    " OVH reserves the right, with or without notice to the Customer, to limit, filter, suspend or restrict features and protocols (such as IRC or peer to peer file sharing) of the VPS to ensure the security of its infrastructure. "

Delimter:
    "YOU AGREE THAT YOUR USE OF Delimiter USA SERVICES SHALL BE AT YOUR SOLE RISK. ALL SERVICES PROVIDED BY Delimiter USA ARE AVAILABLE AS IS WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR GUARANTESS APPLIED."

and so on...

• @rdes said:

The server is not even connected to a 2.5gbit/s NIC so it's simply false advertising. At that point it's not even true "port speed" as the physical hardware isn't compliant to even handle it.

@Clouvider said:
    One has to be realistic, however... Use common sense...

Would you trust a seller selling you a new Lamborghini for £7? You wouldn't.

So why do you trust a provider that advertises you 2.5Gbit/s unmetered for less than a cost of your monthly broadband... ? That's just asking for trouble...

I'm well aware of this, but OneProvider is a reseller of servers from Online.net and they have delivered such servers in the past.

• rdesrdes Member

@Prime404
    AFAIK all those Atom microblades from online.net have 2.5 Gbps ethernet cards. Link speed it's a different matter..

• vmp32kvmp32k Member

Speaking of bad experiences: My server just went offline and I can't login to the management panel because it's refusing all my 2nd factor codes

• @vmp32k said:
    Speaking of bad experiences: My server just went offline and I can't login to the management panel because it's refusing all my 2nd factor codes

I confirm - the management panel is down!

• Prime404Prime404 Member
    edited June 2018

@rdes said:
    @Prime404
    AFAIK all those Atom microblades from online.net have 2.5 Gbps ethernet cards. Link speed it's a different matter..

The NIC on this one only support 1000mbit/s which I can confirm using ethtool and their own support also said it. Unfortunately the server is inaccessible right now, but I'll post a snippet from the command when it's available again.

Edit:
    Settings for eth0:

Supported ports: [ TP ]

Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full

100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full

1000baseT/Full

Supported pause frame use: Symmetric

Supports auto-negotiation: Yes

Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full

100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full

1000baseT/Full

Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric

Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes

Speed: 1000Mb/s

Duplex: Full

Port: Twisted Pair

PHYAD: 1

Transceiver: internal

Auto-negotiation: on

MDI-X: off (auto)

Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)

drv probe link

Link detected: yes

• vmp32kvmp32k Member

A 15min downtime is to be expected

It's been down 40 minutes (:

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

I wasn't able to login today, and it seems to be a general login issue with their panel:
    https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=oneprovider

• vmp32kvmp32k Member
    edited June 2018

Everything's back up now, no server uptime lost so it was just the router maintenance by online.net

• rdesrdes Member

@Prime404: I have "Intel Ethernet i354" adapter (checked with dmidecode) which supports 2.5 Gbps.

• @rdes said:
    @Prime404: I have "Intel Ethernet i354" adapter (checked with dmidecode) which supports 2.5 Gbps.

Could not check it with dmidecode, but did use lspci:

root@dedi-par-xxxxxx:/home/xxxx# lspci | grep -i ethernet
    01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I210 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)

https://ark.intel.com/products/64400/Intel-Ethernet-Controller-I210-AT

• edited July 2018

We had a recent bad experience with OneProvider, I didn't realize they were a reseller until after I purchased services from them. Canceled soon after!

• @vmp32k said:

Hi, can you share some steps to do the FullDiskEncryption? I usually run on CenoTs/ Debian. Any pointers appreciated. Thanks

• vmp32kvmp32k Member

dwnewyork5 said: Hi, can you share some steps to do the FullDiskEncryption?

I started writing up a guide here but it ended up too long to post, I'll make a blog post shortly. :)

• vmp32kvmp32k Member

Here's my blog post about FullDiskEncrypted Debian. @dwnewyork5