Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Los Angeles does not have many modern hardware?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why Los Angeles does not have many modern hardware?

cccatcccat Member
edited June 2018 in General

It’s a weird situation that it is more difficult to find VPS with modern hardware in LA than other locations.

I have seen many providers provides skylake or better hardware in their London/Dallas/Paris/NL location but E5 v1/v2 in their LA location.

Because this is not an isolated phenomenon, I would like to figure out the reason.

Is there someone have any idea about it?

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Your budget matters.

Thanked by 2doughmanes Clouvider
  • cccatcccat Member

@deank said:
    Your budget matters.

But the providers sell different hardware in different locations with same price

• IshaqIshaq Member

@cccat said: But the providers sell different hardware in different locations with same price

You are making this statement on a survey of how many providers?

• cccatcccat Member
    edited June 2018

@Ishaq said:

@cccat said: But the providers sell different hardware in different locations with same price

Not exactly calculated but I have seen such situation many times.

If you really want, you could name them & shame them.

List them here, show us examples.

• @cccat said:

@Ishaq said: I

In what pricing bracket is this situation. Los Angeles has higher costs for colocation than Dallas or Amsterdam does.

If you're trying to find more modern hardware then try increasing the budget you're shopping at.

• cccatcccat Member

@deank said:
    If you really want, you could name them & shame them.

List them here, show us examples.

No, I do not want to blame anyone for it.

I think it may caused by some objective reasons.

Maybe someone who often pay attention to the offers of LA may also notice this phenomenon.

Thanked by 2Claverhouse NanoG6
  • cccatcccat Member

@IThinkUFailed said:

@cccat said:

@Ishaq said: I

In what pricing bracket is this situation. Los Angeles has higher costs for colocation than Dallas or Amsterdam does.

If you're trying to find more modern hardware then try increasing the budget you're shopping at.

Maybe that’s true.

• how does figuring out the reason even help you?

• cccatcccat Member

@JoeMerit said:
    how does figuring out the reason even help you?

Just curious about it.

Thanked by 2Claverhouse NanoG6
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Random theory:

• the only thing unique about LA versus other locations is that it frequently is used by those wanting connectivity to Asia
    • a large part of that market is proxy/VPN services
    • these services generally do not require a high amount of CPU
    • hence, why not use older CPUs to meet the market, hence more older CPUs in LA

Complete speculation and I could be wrong on any or all points.

• Maybe because there is higher operation cost in L.A so R.O.I time will be longer, which make provider wants to milk it till it dry

• doughmanesdoughmanes Member
    edited June 2018

To answer your questions, gangs of downtown LA bums are known to invade data centers and grab all the new hardware to sell on the streets in San Francisco to all the startup folks. The term "bum rush" came from this LA only data center issue.

• lets go with this theory.. a lot of low end hosts use Quadranet and they still think its cool to sell Core2Quad servers (cpus over 10yrs old.)

Thanked by 1Sofia_K
  • BradyHBradyH Member, Host Rep

did you have something in mind that you are looking for. I started out and had some higher end servers in Los Angeles that would never lease out. Move them to Dallas and I can't keep them in stock. IF I have a client that wants one I have no issues shipping one out to LA. Really just based on the needs and wants of clients. No reason to leave a server just sitting there doing nothing.