Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

xmlrpc.php file not found in browser, when renamed, file accessible
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

xmlrpc.php file not found in browser, when renamed, file accessible

nicheniche Member

For one webhosting account, the wordpress website xmlrpc.php file is not accessible using a browser, it gives 404 not found error, though the file is present in the webhosting account, when checked using FTP or file manager.
On the other hand, if the same xmlrpc.php file is renamed as test.php, I can access the url using a browser
To clarify
*.info/xmlrpc.php gives 404 error message in browser
*.info/test.php gives XML-RPC server accepts POST requests only. (correct message)

Does anyone know what changes the webhosting company has made to block xmlrpc.php file for wordpress blogs, so that I can unblock the files or ask the webhosting company to do so, as I am losing advertising revenues.

Comments

• vovlervovler Member
    edited June 2018

xmlrpc is disabled or blocked either by a wordpress plugin, .htaccess or the host itself.

Why do you need xmlrpc for? How will it increase ad revenue?

• nicheniche Member

More than one ad network is automatically posting remotely to the wordpress blog using xmlrpc.php , and if the webhosting company is disabling the xmlrpc.php, the ads will not be posted, and I will lose money

• vovlervovler Member

@niche said:
    More than one ad network is automatically posting remotely to the wordpress blog using xmlrpc.php , and if the webhosting company is disabling the xmlrpc.php, the ads will not be posted, and I will lose money

It's impossible to troubleshoot something without having access to it. But try contacting the support, they may help you

• redvi4redvi4 Member
    edited June 2018

check your .htaccess file

to disable paste the next code in any plugin
    add_filter('xmlrpc_enabled', '__return_false');
    To enable
    add_filter('xmlrpc_enabled', '__return_true');

.htaccess files

Block WordPress xmlrpc.php requests

<Files xmlrpc.php>
    order deny,allow
    deny from all
    allow from 6.6.6.1
    </Files>

Allow WordPress xmlrpc.php requests

<Files xmlrpc.php>
    order allow,deny
    allow from all
    deny from 10.8.8.1
    </Files>

• imokimok Member

It's being blocked by the provider, most probably.

• lazytlazyt Member

They probably got tired of all of the attacks.

• vovlervovler Member
    edited June 2018

@lazyt said:
    They probably got tired of all of the attacks.

xmlrpc is a magnet to bruteforce attacks, with 1 POST request the hacker can try over 4000 login attempts. I remember when I was with hostwinds and got emails of overusing the CPU when the websites had 0 visitors.