Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS for Nextcloud and Few Websites Newbie
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS for Nextcloud and Few Websites Newbie

manjuxmanjux Member
edited June 2018 in Help

Hi everyone,
Glad to find out LowEndTalk some time ago and decided to finally registered. I have a question (maybe a few) and need some advise. I'm a linux user but a complete noob regarding how to set up a server. Nevertheless I'm willing to dedicate time towards it.

I currently have Nextcloud **on shared hosting **plus two or three websites running with Wordpress and Grav CMS. My Nextcloud is a backup for home notebooks and needs some 80 - 100GB. The websites are pretty simple setups and eventually don't even spend many gigabytes.They're not established business or something, but I need some flexibility there.

I have seen a lot of offers around and researched a lot about it, but I just can't decide between KVM OpenVZ SSD/HDD and other features.

What do you believe is better:

• To sign for two different accounts? One to set up Nextcloud on it and another to mess around where I put the websites?
  • Or eventually just a single VPS for everything?

I also saw that there are providers offering many image templates, some of them have already debian+nextcloud, for example, that can make the process easier. At the same time, even though VPS is unmanaged, some providers offer some degree of protection or easier setups, I believe.

I am willing to spend €15 - €20 per month. What's the best use and what do you think I can get?
Many thanks for the help...

Comments

• I would suggest looking into a storage VPS for nexCloud since using it on shared hosting isn't something a lot of hosts allow.

Put your websites on a shared cpanel hosting account that suits your needs.

You could easily achieve this with your budget.

Thanked by 1mksh
  • Hello,

As your business is in initial stage. You can still have a KVM VPS that give you dedicated resource . Even Openvz is good in your case.

• mkshmksh Member
    edited June 2018

@dahartigan said:
    I would suggest looking into a storage VPS for nexCloud since using it on shared hosting isn't something a lot of hosts allow.

Put your websites on a shared cpanel hosting account that suits your needs.

You could easily achieve this with your budget.

No only that but he'd get some pretty decent stuff too. $5/m for shared and $10/m for a VPS that's kinda premium by LET standards.

• wilbowilbo Member

Run it all on a cheap KS-3 server from Kimsufi, €7.99.

Thanked by 1manjux
  • @wilbo said:

Well I guess Kimsufi has a plenty of KS-3 if he go for it.

But I just want to know people what do you use to servers like this without RAID for backup, is it remote disk or what?

• manjuxmanjux Member
    edited June 2018

@wilbo said:

The only thing about kimsufi is that there seems to be almost no server available. Is that ks-3 any good? An Atom server? Another thing i really don't understand is why VPS is more expensive than servers at them?

• wilbowilbo Member

They seem to always have the KS-3 available. I had one for a few years and was very impressed with it. I used it for a remote desktop to download linux iso's and as a storage server.

• manjuxmanjux Member

@wilbo said:
    They seem to always have the KS-3 available. I had one for a few years and was very impressed with it. I used it for a remote desktop to download linux iso's and as a storage server.

Do you believe that's enough to put two small sites live too, that is, to run it as webserver?

• wilbowilbo Member

Yes, that's plenty.