Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to detect VPN clients on my network?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to detect VPN clients on my network?

joojajooja Member

Hello, I have a game server and we are trying to block VPN connection for many reasons, mainly because most hackers always use VPN.
I would like some hint/suggestion on how to detect if the IP is a VPN or even if the computer is connecting via a VPN (check can be placed on the client or server).

Thanks

Comments

• For what game? I've seen many plugins for certain games already.

• joojajooja Member

@Quinten said:
    For what game? I've seen many plugins for certain games already.

Private game not known

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

Block most of Hosting/VPS provider's IP.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@jooja said:

@Quinten said:

Private game not known

In that case just create a module for the game server software to block IP ranges of the popular VPN networks.

• @MikeA said:

@jooja said:

@Quinten said:

Private game not known

In that case just create a module for the game server software to block IP ranges of the popular VPN networks.

Or you could just ipset iptables them out

• The problem with most blocking systems is that they don't account for providers that provide both consumer and server hosting on the same ASN. For example, Korea Telecom does this.
    Then you have VPNGate that provides P2P VPN services for free.

• edited June 2018

There are known VPN servers except that it's not easy to detect VPN. Known servers can be seen on free proxy sites or by browsing search engines. Blocking IP range can help. Detection of VPN is not so important.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Ask Netflix if you can borrow their script.

Thanked by 1jooja