Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Intel Xeon CPU for desktop PCs (esp. Gaming/Rendering)?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Intel Xeon CPU for desktop PCs (esp. Gaming/Rendering)?

So back when I built my gaming rig I was stuck with my decision between a i5 4670 and Intel Xeon E3 1230 V3 . Back then I went with the i5 . In a couple months I might wanna upgrade my CPU and am wondering whether Intel Xeon CPUs would acctually be a valid option for a gaming rig and for video rendering..or I should just go for an i5/i7 again?

Comments

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

i5/i7 would be my pick, bcuz sex core.

Thanked by 1Tom
  • pikepike Veteran

Friend of mine plays PUBG, GTA V and other resource intensive games on a Intel Xeon X3210 without any problems.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2018

yeah I think you maybe picked the wrong CPU tbh you should pick the E3 :) they are basically i7's in this context.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Only plus-side of xeons is their ecc support. Unless you specifically need that, go for whichever is cheaper.

• niknik Member, Host Rep

Back then the E3 ran on a regular motherboard, nowadays for the new generations of E3s you need a workstation or server motherboard to run those E3s which is more expensive. The i7 also has 6 cores, so I would choose the i7.

Thanked by 2Ympker Zen
  • @nik said:
    Back then the E3 ran on a regular motherboard, nowadays for the new generations of E3s you need a workstation or server motherboard to run those E3s which is more expensive. The i7 also has 6 cores, so I would choose the i7.

Thanks for pointing this out :P So if I dont wanna get a new MB, too my options are limited for CPUs supporting my AsROCK H87 Pro4 Motherboard

• niknik Member, Host Rep

@Ympker said:

@nik said:

Thanks for pointing this out :P So if I dont wanna get a new MB, too my options are limited for CPUs supporting my AsROCK H87 Pro4 Motherboard

Oh, you want to keep the motherboard, thought you want to build a completely new PC. You can run most E3 v3s on that board, the problem is that you have a H board, which isn't ment to be overclocked, so for example if you get a K CPU, you can't really OC it. I would look into either E3 1230v3 (depending on your BIOS v also E3 1231v3) which is comparable to a i7 4770. Or if your budget allows it you could also get a i7 4790K which you can't overclock on that board but the base clock speed is very good already so you don't really need to.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • donlidonli Member

@Ympker said:
    So back when I built my gaming rig I was stuck with my decision between a i5 4670 and Intel Xeon E3 1230 V3 . Back then I went with the i5 . In a couple months I might wanna upgrade my CPU and am wondering whether Intel Xeon CPUs would acctually be a valid option for a gaming rig and for video rendering..or I should just go for an i5/i7 again?

Speed comparisons:
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Are you an overclocker?

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Zen said:
    The biggest issue with E3 vs I7 for gaming is the clock speed. I think it works well for everything else.

Is there any reason you want to stick to your current mobo? You could probably get a substantial upgrade by switching to Ryzen and it wouldn't cost much.

Budget being the reason for not changing mb :P

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Well, I guess you are cheaper off with desktop hardware, You could get an old Dual XEON LXXXX something for cheap, it has 16 threads but the single core performance is bad.

Did you consider maybe to swap to AMD? if thats cost less in total?

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Neoon said:
    Well, I guess you are cheaper off with desktop hardware, You could get an old Dual XEON LXXXX something for cheap, it has 16 threads but the single core performance is bad.

Did you consider maybe to swap to AMD? if thats cost less in total?

Not fancy od AMD. Had bad experiences so rather sticking with Intel :P

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I've had E5-2683v3 for few years now. They were really cheap about 3 years ago on Ebay. OEM version sold for around 250 USD. I grabbed 2 and built a dual socket PC.

The thing rolls for rendeirng. With passmark score of 17000+ for each CPU, nothing can beat it yet even after all these years.

It turboes at 2.4ghz on all cores and I've run some casual games. No issue I can notice.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Single core performance matters more then total core performance in gaming, consider that in your search.

Thanked by 2Aidan Ympker
  • AlexJonesAlexJones Member
    edited April 2018

Single core perf really matters. Maybe make a cheap ryzen OC build if you want to render or you could upgrade to coffee lake i5 it has 6 cores and oc that... Only problem is 8th gen intel mobos aren't cheap neither is DDR4

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • HxxxHxxx Member

Ryzen threadripper , enough said. Best performance vs cost.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Neoon said: Well, I guess you are cheaper off with desktop hardware, You could get an old Dual XEON LXXXX something for cheap, it has 16 threads but the single core performance is bad.

Few years ago I had a dual L5520 in my desktop. It worked and at that time it probably was worth the money. Today I wouldn't touch any 5xxx stuff with a 10 feet pole.
    Large power consumption (2x L5520 + GTX460 = 200W+ idle), low performance, terrible single thread performance. I had it for about 3 years and then I upgraded to an i5-4590 and feel like it's more powerful. Did not do any benchmarks though. It certainly consumes a lot less.

Thanked by 1Ympker

The minimum you want is v3+. You don't want to miss USB3.

Thanked by 1Ympker
    edited April 2018
  • AidanAidan Member

@deank said:
    The minimum you want is v3+. You don't want to miss USB3.

USB3 via an add-on card isn't that bad.

Ruins the aesthetic if you have a window panel.

• xyzxyz Member

Ympker said: I went with the i5 .

Ympker said: CPUs supporting my AsROCK H87 Pro4 Motherboard

Ympker said: Budget being the reason for not changing mb

In a couple months I might wanna upgrade my CPU

Why are you upgrading, particularly if budget is a concern? Surely you do realise that no CPU on a H87 motherboard will be better than what you already have by any significant amount?
    It's Intel we're talking about after all - you don't upgrade CPUs without changing the motherboard.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

deank said: They were really cheap about 3 years ago on Ebay.

Currently around $450 a piece on eBay from China.

• @FHR said:

deank said: They were really cheap about 3 years ago on Ebay.

Currently around $450 a piece on eBay from China.

Gotta thank CryptoNote miners for driving up the price...

Used to be a lot cheaper. Dream miners ruining it for everyone.

• That honestly gave me a boner, how much did it cost you the CPU/mobo combo?

edited April 2018

@machine123 said:
    That honestly gave me a boner, how much did it cost you the CPU/mobo combo?

CPU cost me 250 USD at that time when price was cheap, so 500 for both.

Mobo was 300USD from Newegg.

Not much actually. Hardware right now is overpriced, I feel strongly.

Power draw is 250watt at 100% CPU load from kill-a-watt which is on par with a single threadripper.

I built it in late 2015.

The only parts I upgraded were going from 760 GTX to 1060 (Skipped 960) and adding two more sticks of RAM. (16gb to 32gb)

Thanked by 1machine123
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited April 2018

@xyz said:

Ympker said: I went with the i5 .

Ympker said: CPUs supporting my AsROCK H87 Pro4 Motherboard

Ympker said: Budget being the reason for not changing mb

In a couple months I might wanna upgrade my CPU

Why are you upgrading, particularly if budget is a concern? Surely you do realise that no CPU on a H87 motherboard will be better than what you already have by any significant amount?
    It's Intel we're talking about after all - you don't upgrade CPUs without changing the motherboard.

No I didn't know that there are no better CPUs for that particular mb :S Back when I selected the i5 4670 I remember atleast the i5 4670K (overclockable) and a few other processors (dont rember the names) to be considered better performing but not sure :P I will look around a bit i guess^^

Found this list which should make compabilty checks easier :)

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ASRock/H87_Pro4.html