Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you use for backup?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you use for backup?

I was reading about attic recently as a good backup solution.

I'm looking for something that can create incremental backups, is fast enough and isn't resource heavy.

Thanked by 1nunuigti

Comments

• @ckissi said:
    I was reading about attic recently as a good backup solution.

I'm looking for something that can create incremental backups, is fast enough and isn't resource heavy.

rdiff-backup comes to mind, easy to use, fast, not so heavy on ressources...

if you read about attic already you also might consider looking into https://borgbackup.org/ as kind of actively maintained/developed sucessor - good working thing...

Thanked by 1simlev
  • RhysRhys Member, Host Rep

a what?

• I use JetBackup, rsnapshot, mysqldump... whatever fits the machine I guess? I just backup things :'D

• Most lightweight solution would probably be tar + some scripting. If you invest a bit of time you can get something quite usable with all the features you want.

• And for Windows? Preferably free and incremental.

• Jetbackup for cpanel servers, and rsnapshot for centminmod servers, plus some bash scripts for sending things to S3 were needed.

• mfsmfs Banned, Member

ckissi said: attic

borgbackup is where the cool people are at

Thanked by 2Falzo simlev
  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited December 2017

Damn, I feel so old fashioned. I just use 2 external 2TB USB drives for my personal data. The first drive is updated every 2 weeks. 2nd drive is updated monthly.

I just don't trust online backups or applications to do the job.

• @deank said:
    Damn, I feel so old fashioned. I just use 2 external 2TB USB drives for my personal data. The first drive is updated every 2 weeks. 2nd drive is updated monthly.

I just don't trust online backups or applications to do the job.

I do think that storing personal data on plain HDDs offline is often more reliable, cheaper and faster than in the cloud but the main focus of this thread is on backing up server's data, imo. That often imposes different constraints.

For my personal vpses, I just SSH in, run tarball and mysql dump and wget them to elsewhere. Doesn't take too long for small servers.

Resistance is futile.

Thanked by 1SwordfishBE
  • BackupPC and JetBackup

• R1Soft Continuous Data Protection

• several tiers of backup solutions

1. web host backups i.e. linode/do snapshot backups
    2. my own custom written backup scripts which run every 3, 4 or 8 hrs depending on server/data. Similar to centminmod's dbbackup.sh database script https://community.centminmod.com/threads/dbbackup-sh-quick-mysql-database-backups-for-centmin-mod-stack.4573/ but extended to backup files etc + db with support for transfering backups to remote ftp + amazon s3 with push notification support on backup completion to mobile/tablet devices :)
    3. remote rsnapshot backend servers pulling the local copy of backups from custom backup scripts

For very large data set backups, just enable nginx maintenance mode https://community.centminmod.com/threads/sitestatus-maintenance-mode.5599/ + implement multi-threaded database and compression based backups - so more cpu cores you have, the faster the backup process https://community.centminmod.com/threads/compression-comparison-benchmarks-zstd-vs-brotli-vs-pigz-vs-bzip2-vs-xz-etc.12764/ so 30-40GB backup can complete in as little as 2-3 minutes :)

Thanked by 1abytecurious
  • @Yura said:
    And for Windows? Preferably free and incremental.

Veeam or Altaro

Thanked by 1Yura
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

+1 for JetBackup for cPanel servers. The auto restore ability for the end user works very well and saves us many emails (yeah not tickets but emails from local companies).

Thanked by 1jetchirag
  • jonnyevans015jonnyevans015 Member
    edited April 2018

I have found one shit that provide data destruction Services. May be it will help you destroy your data

• imokimok Member
    edited April 2018

@jonnyevans015 said:
    I have found one site that provide data protection Services. May be it will help you

I thought Data Protection Today people were scammers.

• @jonnyevans015 said:
    I have found one site that provide data protection Services. May be it will help you

I've heard they use potatoes to store data

• +2 jetbackup

• amazon s3 s3cmd

• sinsin Member
    edited April 2018

I run FreeBSD on my servers with zfs-on-root and take snapshots with zfsnap2, have autobackupmysql (or automysqlbackup on linux) doing daily,weekly, and monthly MySQL backups, and finally I rsync all important folders (like web, databases, config, etc) over to several storage vpses.

I used to use tarsnap too

• @jonnyevans015 said:

wOw I can’t believe how great their services are. Thank you for saving all of us from needing to ever worried about daya!!! No more Fsck!!

• NomadNomad Member
    edited April 2018

Huh, you have raid5, why do you need backups for? :P

</joke

• raid is backup?!?!?!

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2018

@rafaelscs said:
    raid is backup?!?!?!

Haha, just thought to post that some people do use RAID and thinks that it will protect them from disaster!!

We do use off site backup custom solution which use at least 3 different networks and hold data for last 4 months, as some files are very important to our customers and they will be able to access and download it at any time.

Thanked by 1rafaelscs