Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS production question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS production question

I was about to buy a vps and then I saw this

This VPS don't have any SLA and is not intend for production use.

I intend to use the vps as a vpn, would I have any problems doing that going by the quote above? also what does it mean to use a vps for production?

Comments

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2018

"Production" the word has different meanings based on the context but coming to the context of let's say a business which is based in I.T. An app is developed and is tested in 2~3 different environments like Dev -> Staging -> QA and then is pushed to Production.

Here Production indicates the final stage and the platform which generates money for the business so you shouldn't use anything that doesn't have a proper Service Level Agreement for Production or you'll be having serious losses.

• donlidonli Member

For practical purposes "production use" means you would lose money if your VPS was down.

• Ok so if I understand correctly, I can go ahead and use this vps as a vpn?

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@oh_goody said:

I intend to use the vps as a vpn, would I have any problems doing that going by the quote above? also what does it mean to use a vps for production?

Sounds alot like our TOS for our NAT and Developer line, albeit with bad grammar.

If you plan to use it for a personal VPN, should be fine as long as you won't depend on the VPN for vital access that would cause you to lose money if it were to go down.

When we say, "not intended for production use" we mean not for the purpose of generating profit. That does not stop you from using it for that purpose, but if it goes down, there would be no financial liability accepted. So it's up to you if you want to accept such terms or not.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@oh_goody said:

Basically, it means that you will not get any credit if it's down. Don't use as a cornerstone of your business.

Google search finds it in an offer thread by Deepnet Solutions/GestionDBI, part of the LowendSpirit family.

If you are looking at their NAT products, check out the forums at http://forum.lowendspirit.com and see for yourself how well it holds up.
    For the price asked (per year), I am sure you can afford a second, or third location as a backup.

Thanked by 1gestiondbi