Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best overall US location for world wide connectivity?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best overall US location for world wide connectivity?

YokedEggYokedEgg Member
edited April 2018 in General

Clearly there's certain variables for certain hosts geologically that remain the same regardless of the data center.

Example, Seattle -> Japan.

Presumably it's either LA, NYC, Seattle, Dallas, or Chicago?

But what would be the single best over all for one single location that wants to service primarily the United States, but still has misc overseas (and primarily English speaking) visitors?

Comments

• Either the west coast or east coat I believe or anyone with HE.Net in the blend.

• @HashTag said:
    Either the west coast or east coat I believe or anyone with HE.Net in the blend.

See but the issue with that is basically, LA works for asia / aus / etc, but NYC has normally pretty awful pings consistently (except for EU and vice versa).

I'm leaning towards maybe Dallas?

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Depending on the kind of service and protocols used, it might or might not matter that much.

• YokedEggYokedEgg Member
    edited April 2018

@FHR said:
    Depending on the kind of service and protocols used, it might or might not matter that much.

It's just webhosting, latency doesn't matter as much as a gameserver but ideally I just want one single location I can grow out of for a bit while optimizing the situation.

I'm factoring in a few variables, such as networking connectivity, regions with generally lower prices, etc.

Thus far, Dallas has been winning outside of pricing, but I'm just looking for more feedback. Dallas seems to consistently have the best over all US latency and world wide latency.

• Chicago or Dallas

• YokedEgg said: It's just webhosting, latency doesn't matter as much as a gameserver but ideally I just want one single location I can grow out of for a bit while optimizing the situation.

Mirroring @maldovia, Chicago or Dallas.

If it's just webhosting, cache the crap out of it and throw on a CDN if you're feeling generous.

edited April 2018

@ElliotJ said:

YokedEgg said: It's just webhosting, latency doesn't matter as much as a gameserver but ideally I just want one single location I can grow out of for a bit while optimizing the situation.

Mirroring @maldovia, Chicago or Dallas.

If it's just webhosting, cache the crap out of it and throw on a CDN if you're feeling generous.

The webstack I use for my clients as is consists of nginx, php 7.2 fpm, brotili, pagespeed, and redis as is.

So in that aspect, it's fairly optimized.

Caching really helps, but when someone has 300ms, you can still feel the site crawl.

It also doesn't help that nearly every single one of my clients sites aren't static based.

I also promote the use of Cloudflare, which I realize doesn't act as a true CDN really, but at my current pricing I can't justify offering a CDN as well.

• From data I've seen east coast is where it's at.

edited April 2018

@Hoost said:
    From data I've seen east coast is where it's at.

Normally horrible pings to asian and oceanic countries though. Good pings to EU.

@YokedEgg said:

@FHR said:

It's just webhosting, latency doesn't matter as much as a gameserver but ideally I just want one single location I can grow out of for a bit while optimizing the situation.

I'm factoring in a few variables, such as networking connectivity, regions with generally lower prices, etc.

Thus far, Dallas has been winning outside of pricing, but I'm just looking for more feedback. Dallas seems to consistently have the best over all US latency and world wide latency.

I think LA would be the best location. RTT to my server at QuadraNet LA:

Measured using Hurricane Electric's Looking Glass.

edited April 2018

@FHR said:

@YokedEgg said:

@FHR said:

I think LA would be the best location. RTT to my server at QuadraNet LA:

Measured using Hurricane Electric's Looking Glass.

__

My current location actually is LA, but I feel as if I should focus on a better connectivity to EU more than Asia. Sure, under 200ms isn't terrible, but in NYC in certain cases I can get under 100ms (sometimes as low as 60-70ms) to places like UK, Germany.

And, if I do that, oceanic regions are left out by moving to NYC lol.

edited April 2018

YokedEgg said: Sure, under 200ms isn't terrible, but in NYC in certain cases I can get under 100ms (sometimes as low as 60-70ms) to places like UK, Germany.

I live in Central Europe. The difference between New Jersey and Los Angeles (ping to Vultr test IPs) is 97ms vs 159ms.

edited April 2018

@FHR said:

YokedEgg said: Sure, under 200ms isn't terrible, but in NYC in certain cases I can get under 100ms (sometimes as low as 60-70ms) to places like UK, Germany.

I live in Central Europe. The difference between New Jersey and Los Angeles (ping to Vultr test IPs) is 97ms vs 159ms.

Start up a Digital Ocean NYC 3 location VM then use a world wide ping tool and look at the EU latency.

It's surprisingly very impressive. I'm not sure what datacenter they're even in, but obviously that could carry over to other hosts using the same datacenter / have similar peering in that location, etc. I know overseas routing works different than land, but it was extremely surprising to be seeing 60-90ms in several EU locations.

Really debating if I should just stay in LA or not.

• This might give a better idea about the ping times.

• omelasomelas Member
    edited April 2018

I'd say you should more focused on eu, if you don't consider people's wealth who live in there, somewhere like Hong Kong or Singapore would have best average ping because hack a lot of people live in asia, but you wouldn't want that.

edited April 2018

@omelas said:
    I'd say you should more focused on eu, if you don't consider people's wealth who live on there, somewhere like Hong Kong or Singapore would have best (ping*person) because hack a lot of people live in asia, but you wouldn't want that.

That is the actual focus, I was going to say my focus is more on EU rather than Asia because of that same reason, so it kind of seems counterproductive to be in a region that's usually used for an Asia focus.

At the same time though NZ / AU are a focus, which tend to fall in line with Asia optimized networks.

Asia has more pockets of wealth, rather than EU which has more consistently developed wealthy countries (that speak English or understand it -- which nearly all of my clients sites are in English, and targeted to English speaking people).

Also, one thing is testing latency to routers connected with hundred gig interfaces and dark fiber and whole another thing is actually testing latency from end user connections.

RIPE Atlas could help you with this decision.

Thanked by 1YokedEgg
  • GTHostGTHost Member, Patron Provider

Chicago or Dallas

Thanked by 1YokedEgg
  • sinsin Member

I was wondering the same thing @YokedEgg :) I'm currently trying out different locations for the best connectivity I can get for worldwide from the US. I usually use hosts around New York but I'm testing out Chicago right now and it seems to be pretty good so far.

• @sin said:
    I was wondering the same thing @YokedEgg :) I'm currently trying out different locations for the best connectivity I can get for worldwide from the US. I usually use hosts around New York but I'm testing out Chicago right now and it seems to be pretty good so far.

I've basically narrowed it down to LA / NYC / Chicago / Dallas so far.

But also, things that should be accounted for are regional pricing due to large providers being able to offer lower prices in certain areas, etc.

• omelasomelas Member
    edited April 2018

@YokedEgg

by the way, don't you have statics about where your costormers from?

edited April 2018

@omelas said:
    @YokedEgg

by the way, don't you have statics about where your costormers from?

Yeah, but I don't really have statistics about where my customers, customers come from.

It all just varies all over the world, mostly in English speaking countries. Mostly United States over all, but again, varies.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited April 2018

@YokedEgg said:

>

Yeah, but I don't really have statistics about where my customers, customers come from.

It all just varies all over the world, mostly in English speaking countries. Mostly United States over all, but again, varies.

East Coast US is gonna be your best bet. That means good latency to the US (better than LA since the East Coast has double the population of the West Coast), Canada, UK, and Ireland -- and that's the overwhelming majority of wealthy (which you mentioned earlier) native English speakers. Plus it's good for the huge number of non-native but fluent speakers in other European countries.

Latency to ANZ is kinda just the sacrifice you have to make if you can only have one location and those two countries aren't your primary targets.

Thanked by 1YokedEgg
  • @Dylan said:

@YokedEgg said:

>

East Coast US is gonna be your best bet. That means good latency to the US (better than LA since the East Coast has double the population of the West Coast), Canada, UK, and Ireland -- and that's the overwhelming majority of wealthy (which you mentioned earlier) native English speakers. Plus it's good for the huge number of non-native but fluent speakers in other European countries.

Latency to ANZ is kinda just the sacrifice you have to make if you can only have one location and those two countries aren't your primary targets.

I also thought about Atlanta, but, NYC would likely be better all around.

• Chicago is going to be the top pick for best in the USA

Chicago Mercantile Exchange is the main reason why the connectivity is the going to be the best worldwide

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Mercantile_Exchange

Thanked by 1sin
    edited April 2018

@acidpuke said:
    Chicago is going to be the top pick for best in the USA

Chicago Mercantile Exchange is the main reason why the connectivity is the going to be the best worldwide

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Mercantile_Exchange

Location IP Requests Min Max Avg Std Dev Loss New York 216.52.148.4 4 23.799 ms 24.264 ms 23.936 ms 0.244 ms 0% Miami 216.52.148.4 4 29.689 ms 29.815 ms 29.767 ms 0.178 ms 0% Dallas 216.52.148.4 4 24.173 ms 24.348 ms 24.249 ms 0.168 ms 0% San Francisco 216.52.148.4 4 52.907 ms 53.376 ms 53.079 ms 0.177 ms 0% Seattle 216.52.148.4 4 40.608 ms 40.705 ms 40.654 ms 0.147 ms 0% Toronto 216.52.148.4 4 10.903 ms 11.322 ms 11.106 ms 0.149 ms 0% Frankfurt 216.52.148.4 4 110.381 ms 110.534 ms 110.438 ms 0.337 ms 0% London 216.52.148.4 4 93.101 ms 93.311 ms 93.163 ms 0.383 ms 0% Paris 216.52.148.4 4 108.489 ms 108.611 ms 108.533 ms 0.237 ms 0% Amsterdam 216.52.148.4 4 99.556 ms 99.866 ms 99.706 ms 0.250 ms 0% Sao Paulo 216.52.148.4 4 135.127 ms 135.449 ms 135.237 ms 0.289 ms 0% Singapore 216.52.148.4 4 210.182 ms 210.737 ms 210.392 ms 0.386 ms 0% Sydney 216.52.148.4 4 212.187 ms 212.346 ms 212.265 ms 0.330 ms 0% Tokyo 216.52.148.4 4 141.328 ms 141.352 ms 141.340 ms 0.265 ms 0% Taipei 216.52.148.4 4 161.238 ms 161.981 ms 161.461 ms 0.417 ms 0% Bangalore 216.52.148.4 4 241.308 ms 241.757 ms 241.438 ms 0.393 ms 0%

Just ran a latency test from NFOServers in Chicago. Not bad.

• NFO is connected really well in Chicago. Reason why they call it there flagship location.

Also notice they have there highest bandwidth (110 G) compared to other locations.

https://www.nfoservers.com/networklocations.php

• mtr.sh tells me 1. AWS, Columbus 186ms 2. Linode, Newark 192ms 3. Atlanta 201ms, rest all locations in USA 220+.

P.S. I am from India and on a quality network = TATA, Bharti(Airtel) and Akamai Mix.

Thanked by 1YokedEgg
  • I've used Atlanta a lot for catering US and Western Europe visitors. Not sure if it's the best option but never had any latency issues for just regular hosting.

Thanked by 1YokedEgg
    edited April 2018

@acidpuke said:
    NFO is connected really well in Chicago. Reason why they call it there flagship location.

Also notice they have there highest bandwidth (110 G) compared to other locations.

https://www.nfoservers.com/networklocations.php

Yep, NFO is a hidden gem.

DDoS protection, solid network, and dedicated cores, great team, over all great business.

I only found out about them from my gameserver running days when I used them to run like 5 Garrysmod servers lol.

Pretty solid overall.