Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS providers that don't use Proxmox for KVM, why?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS providers that don't use Proxmox for KVM, why?

jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

Hi all, this is a question for VPS providers that are offering KVM based VPS and are using SolusVM or something similar instead to use Proxmox. why?

Thanks.

Comments

• HaendlerITHaendlerIT Member, Host Rep

We use Proxmox in our current Panel, but it was not that easy to create all functions that we need. (Autoinstaller, Traffic Counter,..) I thought the most New hosting companys buy Whmcs, solumsVM and a whmcs plugin and are ready with out much work.

Also I am not realy happy with there Cluster and Storage Management.

• ralphralph Member

Proxmox has great automation API, but requires some coding or hiring a coder to make all the integrations.

• jhjh Member
    edited April 2018

Because there doesn't exist a well written WHMCS module so you either need to use the fustercluck that is ModulesGarden's Proxmox module or hire a developer, which most of the companies here can't afford to do.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

jh said: can't afford to do.

or doesn't make sense when other solutions are already integrated out of the box.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I was very well aware of proxmox and experienced with it when I started Inception Hosting.

At the time they had no Xen support and KVM was in its infancy, solusvm was the only sensible option at the time.

As time has gone by and proxmox has advanced significantly I can still see it was just not built for the VPS hosting market which means a retro fit, some have been very successful in doing this others were up shit creak without a paddle when they just decided to drop VZ support, They will no doubt make a big change at tome point that will make the current automation unworkable for KVM too, because it was simply not built and is not built with unpaid, unsupported 3rd party integrations in mind.

That said its powerful af and I wish it did start moving in the direction of being built and maintained for the VPS hosting market, its amazing.

Companies that have full time dev's would not use it anyway, that would just be foolish when you could build something clean yourself rather than bolting 2 motorbikes together to make a car.

Thanked by 2Clouvider jureve
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Proxmox has a neat API, already did a wrapper for it, its well documented also.

Its just needs someone to do a plugin, for WHCMS.

Thanked by 3vimalware mikho ariq01
  • HaendlerITHaendlerIT Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2018

There is no KVM installer solution available, so it is not such easy.
    We use an autoinstaller that is based on our PXE server, but I thought to manage a PXE server is already too much work for most small vps providers.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Neoon said:
    Proxmox has a neat API, already did a wrapper for it, its well documented also.

Its just needs someone to do a plugin, for WHCMS.

GO ! GO ! GO !

go, Gadget, Go!

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@mikho said:
    GO ! GO ! GO !

go, Gadget, Go!

Well, WHCMS is kinda a framework, and I am not going to write anything for a framework, In my opinion they all suck and limit your options you can do stuff by a lot.

I have a standalone panel yea, for Proxmox with LXC support, but currently I do not feel in the motivation to push it HARD to mars and beyond.

edited April 2018

^ lol.

Good @mikho :)

• I don't use proxmox because I did use proxmox, and picked Virtualizor instead. It was still quite pleasant but not what was necessary

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

What most people said here is true. Proxmox is very powerful and stable, however in order to use it in a hosting environment you need to build or buy the tooling around it youself.

People have been asking them for years to add more hosting related features and they have not. It is not their focus.

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

@Awmusic12635 said:
    however in order to use it in a hosting environment you need to build or buy the tooling around it youself.

Maybe something like this?

:)

This is the reason why I am asking. As a VPS provider, we have many ideas of what we need, but I also want to listen to other colleagues, in order to develop the most perfect tool.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

jmginer said: Maybe something like this?

Perhaps, biggest things it is missing are:

• Bandwidth tracking (totals in usage and emposing caps)
    • Password resets / changes
    • User facing IP auto configuration (either DHCP, direct editing or some other method)
    • Reinstalls with same settings (to reinstall in proxmox now its basically a full delete and remake using the same options, but you have to implement this yourself).
    Thanked by 1jmginer

So this was a stealth advertising then ? You didn't really specify this in the initial post.

Thanked by 2cubedata deank
  • cubedatacubedata Member, Patron Provider

@Clouvider said:
    So this was a stealth advertising then ? You didn't really specify this in the initial post.

looks that way doesn't it?

Thanked by 1Clouvider

@Awmusic12635 Thanks, this kind of things is for we're looking to know.

edited April 2018

@Clouvider said:

I want to know the reasons why a VPS provider does not use Proxmox. I dont understand why I should explain the reason why I want to know this information.

But now you know. We are developing a control panel and we want to do our best.

I regret that you look for a malicious origin in my message instead of helping to improve a product that is possibly beneficial to the community.

• cubedatacubedata Member, Patron Provider

@jmginer said:

@Clouvider said:

I want to know the reasons why a VPS provider does not use Proxmox. I dont understand why I should explain the reason why I want to know this information.

But now you know. We are developing a control panel and we want to do our best.

I regret that you look for a malicious origin in my message instead of helping to improve a product that is possibly beneficial to the community.

we are developing our own panel as well not based on any specific virtualization platform like proxmox though, but you know we do not try to hide that fact in the hidden agenda of "getting feedback on why providers don't use proxmox" to try to advertise our self either though.

• subhojitduttasubhojitdutta Member
    edited April 2018

Hey @jmginer, Nice to see you investing your time to get a custom made solution done. But as others have mentioned there are multiple features missing from Proxmox that hosts tend to rely upon for automation.

Things that drew me/others away from Proxmox are:-
    1. No Default templates with networking pre-configured for every possible combination - Single, NAT, Subnets etc so would have to make a custom script/do stuff manually each time for each node depending on the availability of IPs on that node etc and if you have 2 similar nodes, recreating everything on that node as well.
    2. It does not offer OVZ which many hosts rely upon to oversell and earn $$$$ which would likely push away half the hosts here. Also they dont have much idea about LXC and its implementations or dont care enough. (LXC FTW!!!)
    3. No stable billing integration with any popular frameworks eg. WHMCS etc. for automation. I actually know some people who use Virtualizor bundled with Proxmox to manage Windows VMs (cuz cheaper than VMWare Bro!) for automation. I dont see any sense in this either but to each his own, i guess.

These are my 2 cents, but yes Proxmox does great for Internal/Private Clouds and is very flexible and customizable as per your needs, but in terms of Hosting solution, it just lacks the right tools.

Thanked by 2Clouvider jmginer
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I don't use Proxmox because I've already experienced the headache of putting my company in the hands of 3rd party control panels.