Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Squeeze repository
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Squeeze repository

Steve81Steve81 Member
edited December 2011 in General

Hello!

As lenny lifecicle is going to end, I've decided to host also a squeeze repository. After 2 days of porting/fixing/compiling I've prepared it for three architecture: i386, amd64 and armel (this is mainly for my qnap nas :) ).

Mainly it contain the same packages of my lenny rep with a big exception: nginx.

I don't use nginx anymore (actually I use cherokee) and there is the official nginx repository that support squeeze.

I've created also a package for ps_mem.py; I'm quite lazy and adding it on my "apt-get install" line in my setup script was quite prefered for me.

Full list of packages: http://apt.balocco.name/pkg_list.squeeze.txt

Changelog: http://apt.balocco.name/changelog.txt

Apt source.list string: deb http://apt.balocco.name squeeze main

As usual deb-src is also available.

Happy new year to anyone!

Thanked by 1trelawney

Comments

• OMFG Steve!

Thanks =)

But I hope that you will still host that lenny repos. Some people will like to use the old distro :P

• Steve81Steve81 Member
    edited December 2011

@yomero said: But I hope that you will still host that lenny repos.

Yes, I host both. But I don't think that I'll update lenny anymore (is possible but improbable).

@yomero said: Thanks =)

You're welcome. :)

• Thanks for coming to your senses and supporting Squeeze :) How do you find cherokee vs nginx in terms of resources? can it replace nginx in LEB's of the sub-256MB variety?

• Steve81Steve81 Member
    edited January 2012

@trelawney said: How do you find cherokee vs nginx in terms of resources?

Under high load nginx use less than 8mb while cherooke reach ~15mb (ab generated traffic, around 500 connections/s if I remember correctly, calling a php page).

But cherokee allow me to use bsd sockets on php5-fpm.

@trelawney said: can it replace nginx in LEB's of the sub-256MB variety?

I use cherokee on a 96mb xen vps, with php5-fpm & mysql.

Surely worth a try if you never used it.

The only bad thing is that the configuration is managed with a web gui (that you should execute when you need to configure it).

• When I tried Cherokee on OpenVZ it used a lot of memory, which was reduced after using ulimit -s 256

Thanked by 1Steve81
  • @Steve81 said: The only bad thing is that the configuration is managed with a web gui (that you should execute when you need to configure it).

In some way that can be more friendly :P

• tuxtux Member

@Steve81 said: But cherokee allow me to use bsd sockets on php5-fpm.

Nginx also allow this.

• Steve81Steve81 Member
    edited January 2012

@tux said: Nginx also allow this.

Yes, but with nginx I got this problem: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/131/cherokee-nginx-bsd-sockets

I suppose that nginx simply won't wait if can't connect to the socket (for example when the socket is busy), while cherokee wait until it can. Is a very important difference, IMO, when using bsd sockets (at least on low end vps).

• Update PHP to 5.3.9

• @Steve81 said: As lenny lifecicle is going to end, I've decided to host also a squeeze repository. After 2 days of porting/fixing/compiling I've prepared it for three architecture: i386, amd64 and armel (this is mainly for my qnap nas :) ).

Can you share with my how you did this (set up your own repo)?
    Might be interested to do that too :)

• Steve81Steve81 Member
    edited February 2012

@djvdorp said: Can you share with my how you did this (set up your own repo)?

Might be interested to do that too :)

I used reprepro, following a howto. I don't remember which one.

• Awwww, thanks Steve :P

• Awesome, looks great; this will save me a lot of time searching for a new replacement, haha. =)

• Added memcached 1.4.7 (backported from wheezy), with sasl support.

• Steve81Steve81 Member
    edited March 2012

Welcome back, LET!

2012-03-06

Removed deluge.
    Fixed dcron packaged (init script and /usr/bin/crontab permissions)
    Updated PHP to 5.3.10 (backported from wheezy) and psmisc 22.16 (prerequisite for php5-common, backported from wheezy)
    Updated dma to 0.7
    Added openntpd 3.9p1 (backported from wheezy)
    Added transmission 2.50 (daemon only) for arm and his requirements (miniupnpc, libnatpmp, libevent 2.0.17).
    Added woods-host (an 'host' alternative, that doesn't depends on bind's libraries).
    Added maradns 2.0.05 (backported from testing), with some changes:
    1) askmara and askmara-tcp are now in the maradns-tools package
    2) maradns-deadwood now include an init script

• I've updated mara some weeks ago in a wheezy install. I found new processes, and with your announcement now I am more confused, what are maradns, duende and deadwood?

• Steve81Steve81 Member
    edited March 2012

@yomero said: I've updated mara some weeks ago in a wheezy install. I found new processes, and with your announcement now I am more confused, what are maradns, duende and deadwood?

maradns is a dns server; it contains:
    1) the maradns daemon itself
    2) zoneserver (a program to handle zone transferts and dns-over-tcp)
    3) deadwood (a recursive dns resolver)

duende is a program to daemonize a non-daemon program; is usefull with mara because zoneserver and deadwood doesn't daemonize.

in my deadwood package I don't use it ('cause debian already ship start-stop-daemon that can do similar things).

• Oh, got it. I use just maradns as a DNS cache for my home devices, IIRC that is the same as "recursive DNS". So, deadwood does the same?

• Yes; it can contact upstream nameservers or use directly the root nameservers.

• Updated dropbear to 2012.55

• @Steve81 said: Updated dropbear to 2012.55

Hehe... true :P

• roytam1roytam1 Member

I wonder if I can install dcron without installing any MTA?

• yomeroyomero Member

@roytam1 said: I wonder if I can install dcron without installing any MTA?

Maybe compiling from source xD
    Or maybe modifiying the package... ?

• Steve81Steve81 Member

@roytam1 said: I wonder if I can install dcron without installing any MTA?

Each cron implementation, afaik, want an MTA; however you can use dma (dragonbsd mailer agent, a very simple mta) as mta.

• Steve81Steve81 Member
    edited May 2012

2012-05-10
    Updated the key of the repository, you can get the new one at:
    http://apt.balocco.name/key.asc
    or using:
    apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-key 92B84A1E

If you get error like "BADSIG", please try to:
    1) apt-get clean
    2) delete apt.balocco.name_* in /var/lib/apt/lists and /var/lib/apt/lists/partial

Minor update in the vzfree package (better debian/rule)

• debugdebug Member
    edited May 2012

Just wondering, where is your server hosting the repo located?

Edit: Derp, Hostigation
    Edit2: Damn, saw your Linfo page - looks so sexy, gotta try it!

• Steve81Steve81 Member
    edited May 2012

2012-05-10
    Updated php5 to 5.3.13

Added minidlna 1.0.24

@debug said: Edit2: Damn, saw your Linfo page - looks so sexy, gotta try it!

Yeah, is very nice. I've patched it to support uptimed.

• Steve81Steve81 Member
    edited December 2012
    2012-12-02
    Added varnish 3.0.2

• mp3newsmp3news Member
    edited January 2013

hey steve-

thank you for the squeeze repo

am trying to install transmission-daemon on my debian squeeze qnap, but get the following error: The following packages have unmet dependencies:

transmission-daemon : Depends: transmission-webinterface (= 2.50-1~Balocco60+1) but 2.73-1~Balocco60+1 is to be installed

i find that the transmission-daemon for armel in the repository is 2.50-1 while the transmission-webinterface is 2.73-1.

in /pool/main/t/transmission/:
    transmission-daemon_2.50-1~Balocco60+1_armel.deb 12-May-2012 17:23 196K
    transmission-daemon_2.73-1~Balocco60+1_amd64.deb 14-Dec-2012 14:13 218K
    transmission-daemon_2.73-1~Balocco60+1_i386.deb 14-Dec-2012 14:13 198K
    transmission-webinterface_2.73-1~Balocco60+1_all.deb 14-Dec-2012 14:13 207K

May I kindly request you to either upgrade transmission-daemon for armel to 2.73-1 (transmission-daemon_2.73-1~Balocco60+1_armel.deb)

or alternately make transmission-webinterface_2.50-1~Balocco60+1_armel.deb (or transmission-webinterface_2.50-1~Balocco60+1_all.deb) available please.

thank you

• Sorry for the late answer; I didn't got any access to my NAS (that's an armel) to recompile transmission until yesterday night.
    Now the package is updated even for armel.

Backported Transmission (daemon, cli and web interface only, optimized for low resources) 2.73 to squeeze

Have fun