Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chromecast question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Chromecast question

Does anyone know if Chromecast also works if my Smart TV is connected via LAN (because it's wifi receiver is sorta shit it seems; only 2 bars while phone has 4 bars) but on the same network?

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2018

Chromecast uses it's own built-in wifi and sends it's audio/video locally over HDMI, so your TV doesn't need to be connected to anything but the Chromecast.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • LeeLee Veteran

It won't work if your TV is already connected, you can, however, buy an ethernet adaptor for it.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Lee said:
    It won't work if your TV is already connected, you can, however, buy an ethernet adaptor for it.

Hmm? I may be misunderstanding that. My TV is connected to my wifi, and it's connected to my Chromecast over HDMI. My Chromecast is connected to my wifi also. Two separate connections unrelated to each other, the Chromecast only communicates with the TV by sending audio/video over HDMI.

• LeeLee Veteran

I understood the question to be that if the TV is connected via wired LAN will the Chromecast be able to leverage that connection. In which case no.

Yours is fine as both are connected.

Could be my misunderstanding also.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited February 2018

@jarland said:
    Chromecast uses it's own built-in wifi and sends it's audio/video locally over HDMI, so your TV doesn't need to be connected to anything but the Chromecast.

Thanks for clarification :)

@Lee Basically @jarland understood what I was going on about :P