Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

php-fpm on vds6.net FreeBSD
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

php-fpm on vds6.net FreeBSD

alfredinoalfredino Member
edited February 2012 in Help

Hello,

I got myself a FreeBSD VPS from vds6.net and I'm having trouble setting up php-fpm I've tried installing php5 via pkg_add but there's no php-fpm to be found anywhere. When I try installing php5 via ports, it always runs out of memory while compiling.

`{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:102094: FATAL: can't close Zend/zend_execute.o
Memory exhausted
/usr/ports/lang/php5/work/php-5.3.9/libtool: Cannot fork: Cannot allocate memory
*** Error code 2
1 error
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/lang/php5.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/lang/php5.`

Has anyone succeeded in installing php-fpm on those boxes yet? It should be possible, since they recommend it in this comment. http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/vds6-1-95-128mb-freebsd-ipv6-only-vps-in-germany/#comment-58106

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Why don't you contact them?

@alfredino said: Cannot fork: Cannot allocate memory

I think they'll allow you to use some more memory to compile it

• I've already contacted them, but I haven't received a reply so far. And I thought maybe one of you guys would know a simple solution. :)

• vds6.net? I have 4 VPSes from vps6.net, the names are real similar... weird, just thought I'd comment on that. That's sort of like the name BuyVB (virtual box) instead of BuyVM (virtual machine).

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@Naruto said: vds6.net? I have 4 VPSes from vps6.net, the names are real similar... weird, just thought I'd comment on that. That's sort of like the name BuyVB (virtual box) instead of BuyVM (virtual machine).

It would help if you actually visited the site, VDS6 has actually been featured on LEB while VPS6.net. Please don't go on about how many VPSs you have from VPS6 and how good they are in a thread about a different provider. Just not needed.

• NarutoNaruto Member
    edited February 2012

@Infinity said: It would help if you actually visited the site, VDS6 has actually been featured on LEB while VPS6.net. Please don't go on about how many VPSs you have from VPS6 and how good they are in a thread about a different provider. Just not needed.

"featured on LEB while VPS6.net." <-Finish the sentence? Also, I didn't say anything about how good they are but I do have the tendency to talk highly of my providers. The ones that are good to me anyway. (currently only using them and SecureDragon which I've also spoken well of) Furthermore, why do these providers choose the number 6 anyway? There is a VPS6.com too. Checked the whois out of curiosity and VPS6.com is using Linode and was created a year before VPS6.net and VPS6.net was created 3 months before VDS6.net (which is behind cloudflare). Doesn't mean anything though.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@Naruto said: <-Finish the sentence

We all make mistakes, you can finish it yourself.

The only point I was making is that your point was unrelated to the topic.

• I also make unrelated posts about unrelated posts.

• How about them Piggers?

• Just in case any clarification is necessary, VPS6.NET has no relationship with vds6.net or vps6.com.

• Thanks for hijacking my topic. Does anybody have something useful to say on-topic?

• Some on-topic options:

Stop other services to free up memory first.
    Ask for more memory, temporarily.
    Buy more memory.

• novanova Member
    edited February 2012

irrelevant

• Maybe you can build the package on VM on your PC or somethin, and then move the package over.

• portsnap fetch extract
    cd /usr/ports/lang/php5
    make config
    Check X Build FPM version (experimental)
    make install clean

The rest is on you.

• Well, when all else fails, build from source?

http://php-fpm.org/wiki/Documentation

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited February 2012

@sleddog said: Well, when all else fails, build from source?

http://php-fpm.org/wiki/Documentation

I guess will happen the same, because the ports stuff already does compilation, gentoo style lol.

• @yomero said: I guess will happen the same, because the ports stuff already does compilation, gentoo style lol.

Goes to show what I know about BSD :) But I've compiled PHP & Apache on Linux with 128mb RAM without any problem.

VDS6 has replied, so hopefully the problem is solved.

• People are running AMP configuration + Nginx in front of apache on IPv4+IPv6 128 Mb VDSes with no problem. The case of TS is unknown.
    Thank you.

• edited February 2012

I know nothing about FreeBSD but when I hit the same issue on Linux I limit the gcc heap:

CFLAGS="$CFLAGS --param ggc-min-expand=0 --param ggc-min-heapsize=8192"

Works a treat although it will up your compilation time significantly.

Perhaps enter that in the shell before running whatever you FreeBSD weirdos run for ports? :D

• alfredinoalfredino Member
    edited February 2012

@Naruto: I was down to 5MB used memory before starting the install via ports, there was only csh and dropbear running. Can't get much lower on memory.

@charliecron: I'll probably end up doing that, but I had hoped there was another way.

@VDS6: I do exactly what you say in your first post and that is when it fails. I can't help it, but it just does not work.

@vanilla: Thank you for your suggestion, will check if I can find

• Thanks a bunch @vanilla! That did it!

I put CFLAGS=--param ggc-min-expand=0 --param ggc-min-heapsize=8192 into my /etc/make.conf and it compiled just fine. :)

• Excellent; you're very welcome mate!