Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Giveaway] Shared Hosting for Students
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Giveaway] Shared Hosting for Students

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited January 2018 in General

If this is for some reason not allowed feel free to (re-)move it

If you are a student attending University and are on a tight budget but still want to host your project (e.g. a university club website or something similar) I can offer you the following totally free of charge:

1 GB SSD Space (if you need more within reason, simply open a ticket)

10 GB Bandwidth (again if you need more just open a ticket)

1 Domain

3 Addon Domains

1 GB RAM

cPanel + Softaculous

NO BACKUPS!

NO SUPPORT!

Rules:

No abuse.

No illegal content.

No spam.

Abusers will be suspended at any time and without notice.

The giveaway can be closed at any time not allowing new signups.

Write an E-Mail to including:

• A pic of your student id and if it exists a link to your Universitys website where you can affirm your status as a student.

• The project you are looking to host.

• The expected resources you will need.

• The domain you will be using.

That's it! If you are willing to kindly donate a small amount sometimes that's allowed, too :P

Kind regards,
Ympker

Comments

• Kudos @Ympker. Always doing something to do give back!

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Ympker Glad to see that you support the community. If anyone only needs a static page (no PHP/etc.), Github Pages is a viable option. You'll save some of @Ympker's resources that way =]

Thanked by 3Aidan Ympker bap
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited January 2018

@ramesh_vish said:
    Kudos @Ympker. Always doing something to do give back!

I'm a student myself and I've just recently sponsored the web hosting for our university esports club :) Always trying to help people out and enjoying what I'm doing. Am I turning a profit with my offers? Time will tell but I am neither dependant on this income to pay the bills for my resources nor do I want much more than to break even. As I said I enjoy what I'm doing and I plan to keep it up for as long as I can manage without it interfering too much with my Plan A for life, which is obviously Uni. I guess it is fair for everyone to know the exact circumstances around the services I provide :)

@jetchirag once asked me what do I gain from offering something like this for free? My reply was something like "it's one more person speaking positively about my service" if I recall correctly.

@doghouch said:
    @Ympker Glad to see that you support the community. If anyone only needs a static page (no PHP/etc.), Github Pages is a viable option. You'll save some of @Ympker's resources that way =]

Yeah, if it's just static pages Github Pages is a viable option for sure :P

Thanked by 1dedotatedwam
  • It's allowed, I gave away free hosting on Cyber Monday and Christmas.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Ympker said: As I said I enjoy what I'm doing and I plan to keep it up for as long as I can manage without it interfering too much with my Plan A for life, which is obviously Uni.

Suddenly, I feel very old. :)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited January 2018

@huntercop said:
    It's allowed, I gave away free hosting on Cyber Monday and Christmas.

Just put it there in case there would be any problems ;)

@ramesh_vish said:

Ympker said: As I said I enjoy what I'm doing and I plan to keep it up for as long as I can manage without it interfering too much with my Plan A for life, which is obviously Uni.

Suddenly, I feel very old. :)

Do not :) This is very much in the eye of the beholder and the world is vast and full of nice places to visit and experiences to make. Being childish at times keeps your spirit young they say, so try that if you really feel that old :P

Thanked by 1abytecurious
  • WSSWSS Member

@Ympker said:
    Being childish at times keeps your spirit young they say, so try that if you really feel that old :P

#wrinklydicks

• @WSS said:

@Ympker said:
    Being childish at times keeps your spirit young they say, so try that if you really feel that old :P

#wrinklydicks

Oh don't worry you will be for ever young mate :)

Thanked by 1WSS
  • Ympker said: @jetchirag once asked me what do I gain from offering something like this for free? My reply was something like "it's one more person speaking positively about my service" if I recall correctly

That's a good reason but honestly, I don't recall asking it :>

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @jetchirag said:

Ympker said: @jetchirag once asked me what do I gain from offering something like this for free? My reply was something like "it's one more person speaking positively about my service" if I recall correctly

That's a good reason but honestly, I don't recall asking it :>

Might be mistaking you for somebody else but pretty sure it was you :P

Thanked by 1jetchirag
  • Ympker said: I'm a student myself and I've just recently sponsored the web hosting for our university esports club :) Always trying to help people out and enjoying what I'm doing. Am I turning a profit with my offers? Time will tell but I am neither dependant on this income to pay the bills for my resources nor do I want much more than to break even. As I said I enjoy what I'm doing and I plan to keep it up for as long as I can manage without it interfering too much with my Plan A for life, which is obviously Uni. I guess it is fair for everyone to know the exact circumstances around the services I provide :)

How do you get time to manage the hosting business as well as university simultaneously? Also, how do you manage the customer service? Outsource or self? Anyway, great work for the community :)

• @aniirban101 said:

Ympker said: I'm a student myself and I've just recently sponsored the web hosting for our university esports club :) Always trying to help people out and enjoying what I'm doing. Am I turning a profit with my offers? Time will tell but I am neither dependant on this income to pay the bills for my resources nor do I want much more than to break even. As I said I enjoy what I'm doing and I plan to keep it up for as long as I can manage without it interfering too much with my Plan A for life, which is obviously Uni. I guess it is fair for everyone to know the exact circumstances around the services I provide :)

How do you get time to manage the hosting business as well as university simultaneously? Also, how do you manage the customer service? Outsource or self? Anyway, great work for the community :)

I do it in my free time. cPanel basically gives the customers everything they need. There is rarely a need for ticketing and as I don't have thousands of customers it's all getting along :P

• I am at the WSS University of Applied Intellectual Degradation. Can I apply?

Thanked by 2Ympker vovler
  • @Ympker said:

cPanel basically gives the customers everything they need. There is rarely a need for ticketing and as I don't have thousands of customers it's all getting along :P

Almost spit-out my coffee as I read this.
    With age comes cynicism & pragmatism. I have found "free" attracts more problems than paid services.

I still commend your lofty goals and offer. YOU will learn a lot and the least costly time to do that IS when you are a student. All the best in your endeavors.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • WSSWSS Member

@Amitz said:
    I am at the WSS University of Applied Intellectual Degradation. Can I apply?

You just wanted an easy major.

• Blazing said: YOU will learn a lot and the least costly time to do that IS when you are a student. All the best in your endeavors.

Can testify. Doesn't just stop at technical lessons either. Plenty of common sense lessons to follow ;-)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Blazing
    He is putting some conditions for free.
    Which is good. You got to show him your student card and type of project.

@wss
    Can I get an a+ at my math and computer science degree from your school of mental destruction?

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • WSSWSS Member

@hammer Sure, but you need to nasally inhale the entire cat turd.