Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

stuck between 3 vps providers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

stuck between 3 vps providers

bboranbboran Member
edited January 2012 in Providers

hello mates i am stuck between 3 vps providers.

1-Ram Host
2-Hostingation
3-Secure Dragon

I am living in Turkey and going to host one wordpress driven portfolio and personal blog site so which provider do you suggest me and also how much ram is okay for me?

Thank you in advance.

Note: I will also thinking to choose Ubuntu 10.04 lts for distro.

Comments

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2012

It's Hostigation not Hostingation :P

Either way, I've had very good experiences with both SecureDragon and Hostigation. Either one would be great to choose, just see which companies plan fits you best. I cant say much about RamHost since I haven't used it. I'd highly reccomend going with SecureDragon or Hostigaiton. Personally I prefer Hostigation :)

As for the RAM usage, it depends what webserver you would like to use and if you are planning to run anything else in the background. 256MB RAM should be more than enough for a simple LNMP stack.

Turkey <3

• RophRoph Member
    edited January 2012

Not sure about the hosts, but is there any reason you're specifically going for Ubuntu? Gleaming from my own experience and reading other threads here, Debian (which ubuntu is based on) is lighter on resources.

• I am going to use nginx for webserver not apache. I can also choose debian if it is lighter on resources like you said but 128 mb isnt enough for a single wordpress driven site? Thank you.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited January 2012

You can get the same consumption in Ubuntu. Just that upstart stuff is weird. Also you get more updated packages (but I have a personal hate feeling about Ubuntu lol, so I use Debian).

And 128 mb is enough I think, probably depends in how much plugins and stuff you will use in wordpress, because php may get out of memory.

Also 128 Xen isn't the same as 128MB in OpenVZ.

• I am going to choose Xen or KVM.

• bretonbreton Member
    edited January 2012

@bboran said: I am living in Turkey and going to host one wordpress driven portfolio and personal blog site so which provider do you suggest me and also how much ram is okay for me?

I am living in Uzbekistan and going to drive on the city roads and near my house so car of which company do you suggest me and also how much petrol is okay for me?

@bboran said: Note: I will also thinking to choose Ubuntu 10.04 lts for distro.

I will also thinking to choose wood for my transmission handle.

• @breton: uncalled for.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • Yes breton, wth?

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • SecureDragon is nice. Really stable, owner is cool.

• bretonbreton Member
    edited January 2012

@sleddog said:

@breton: uncalled for.

@vedran said:

Yes breton, wth?

//_-
    Okay, take 2. Where the hell should we know what is the number of visitors, where are the visitors from (99% of visitors of my sites are NOT from the country I am from, for example), what is the budget and what is the desired type of virtualization from? We know nothing - neither required disk space, nor type of content. So how the hell are we supposed to advise something, especially when choosing between providers with good reputation.

• That's much better.

• I have used RamHost before and I was very very very happy with their services. I still have the year TinyKVM package and use it for a community TeamSpeak server; Great quality service.

• I would recommend securedragon.net. Fast and reliable.

• securedragon is out of stock =(

• Telling you... RamHost's TinyKVM is well worth it.

http://tinykvm.com/

$35 for 1 whole year; just use Debian + mySQL + Nginx w/ FastCGI

• bboranbboran Member
    edited January 2012

Ahh Asura got it now. I wasnt be aware of tinyKVM is a trademark of Ramhost. Thank you very much. I'll give it a shot. Also is there a test ip that i can ping for speed test? Thanks. Also what is is the difference between tinykvm and the 128mb ram plan in here http://www.ramhost.us/?page=vps/kvm-england-eu

• Here is my TinyKVM IP: 146.185.21.86

• Also what is is the difference between tinykvm and the 128mb ram plan in here http://www.ramhost.us/?page=vps/kvm-england-eu

• Bandwidth per month. I have both the UK-1 and the TinyKVM; they're on the same exact node... they're basically the same, but the bandwidth limit is less for the TinyKVM.

• Ok thank you very much Asura

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2012

@bboran said: securedragon is out of stock =(

We're driving to GoRACK tomorrow with 2 more servers and 1 already up there ready to be built. We'll have more OpenVZ and Xen PV stock tomorrow night (and we have 3 more servers arriving on Thursday).

• can you give me a test ip KuJoe? Thanks.

• @bboran said: can you give me a test ip KuJoe? Thanks.

You can use 8.22.203.185

• i emailed ramhost yesterday and today there is still no answer. are they answering tickets very slow?

• bboran, RamHost is just run by 1 person; he answers during standard American business hours.

• WMIWMI Member

RamHost is good nevertheless if you don't require support and very reputable on WHT

• Ramhost hands down. Used him for a looooong time as a DNS server. Works well.

• @bboran said: I am living in Turkey and going to host one wordpress driven portfolio and personal blog site

Will your target audience be in Turkey? I have a vps with vps6.net in Istanbul; i've had no issues with it. Just a thought, if you will be catering to a Turkish audience.

• i know vps6 but they are offering only openvz in Turkey which i dont want. Btw today is the third day and still no luck to get a response from ramhost. weird.

• behh =( i am really stuck on this. buyvm out of stock. securedragon out of stock. hastigation only 128mb LA available which is far fary away from me. ramhost and tinykvm are england based but their 128 plans have very low disk space (3gb) for me and still not answering my presale mail =) so what do you guys suggest more? =)