Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Intel Haswell be a game changer?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Will Intel Haswell be a game changer?

concerto49concerto49 Member
edited April 2013 in General

Intel Haswell is said to launch in Q2/Q3 this time.

What's special? There will not be a limit of 2 SATA3 ports anymore. Will this change the hosting game? Will be see RAID cards disappearing and more usage of software RAID in pure SSD setups? In the past, the SATA3 port limit seemed like a major limitation to performance.

On top of that, expect the usual power savings + performance increases.

Comments

• SATA3 vs SATA2 shouldn't matter much for mechanical HDDs, it only matters for SSDs.

• @rds100 said: SATA3 vs SATA2 shouldn't matter much for mechanical HDDs, it only matters for SSDs.

Yeah, I was mostly referring to SSD based setups as they are becoming more and more common.

• I was seeing that Haswell CPUs were going up in power usage by ~10 watts or so....

• @Damian said: I was seeing that Haswell CPUs were going up in power usage by ~10 watts or so....

The TDP yes. It's done by the Nehalem team = performance > power. The Sandy Bridge team values power > performance. Intel has 2 design teams that swap over.

However, in general it should reduce some power (read: not much) and be a lot faster.

• wdqwdq Member

From my understanding these Haswell and most of the future Intel chips for that matter will be getting hugely improved graphics components, and then slightly improved processing components.

• @wdq said: From my understanding these Haswell and most of the future Intel chips for that matter will be getting hugely improved graphics components, and then slightly improved processing components.

Well, that's because they're gearing for the "end of the PC" era (I put that in quotes for a reason), however, there will always be a need for server driven architectures.

• NightNight Member

@SonicVPS said: Well, that's because they're gearing for the "end of the PC" era (I put that in quotes for a reason), however, there will always be a need for server driven architectures.

I doubt this marks the end of the PC era.. Sure, the non-technical people can use their fancy touchscreen mobile devices.. How far will this get you? Not much. Nobody will be able to play high-graphics games and do developmental work on these devices. While there is clearly a shift from PCs to mobile devices, I foresee it only as a decrease. Business and technically skilled professionals will still utilize PCs as time goes by.

• @Night said: Sure, the non-technical people can use their fancy touchscreen mobile devices..

That's actually most of the population.

• edited April 2013

Only really useful for smaller servers

• According to the reviews, doesn't seem like the old tick/tock model, but just a little upgrade.. so, meh.

• @yomero said: According to the reviews, doesn't seem like the old tick/tock model, but just a little upgrade.. so, meh.

No, this is the tick, with an improved internal architecture.
    The tock will be when the same CPU is made with the next newer process (16nm maybe).

• @rds100 said: The tock will be when the same CPU is made with the next newer process (16nm maybe).

14nm Broadwell.

• I'm excited to see what it's going to do to the ultrabook market. I've been waiting to get one since I currently only own a bulky old laptop and a fairly powerful desktop but am in need of something mobile without a severe drop in productivity.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited April 2013

@rds100 said: No, this is the tick,

So, Ivy was the "tock"??? Nah...

According to this table, is Haswell
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Tick-Tock

• @yomero said: So, Ivy was the "tock"??? Nah...

Ivy is Tick+ :p (serious)

• @Night said: Not much. Nobody will be able to play high-graphics games and do developmental work on these devices.

Temash

• @yomero said: So, Ivy was the "tock"??? Nah...

According to this table, is Haswell

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Tick-Tock

Oh, i was confused then :) Sorry.

• RophRoph Member

AMD needs to move on from 32nm already :/

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I hope they come up with something like bobcat quad core and lower power usage on 16.
    Frankly, do not need the graphix part, but it is nice to have as long as you can turn it off to save power.
    Best yet, I hope a design where the graphix silicon part can be reused by main CPU at least as cache if not to do instructions, but that will be a major shift, however, it would make sense.

• @Roph said: AMD needs to move on from 32nm already :/

GloFo hasn't been able to do anything useful since the split. They were the reason AMD delayed/cancelled a lot of projects.