Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RamNode is now offering shared hosting - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RamNode is now offering shared hosting

Comments

• Isn't $3 per additional disk a lottt

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@jetchirag said:
    Isn't $3 per additional disk a lottt

$3 per 5GB, definitely high by LET standards.

• Too expensive, adding a more LET-friendly 2-5GB plan would be a good idea. Is Litespeed cache supported?

@bersy said:
    Is Litespeed cache supported?

It is. Just grabbed a reseller account for work. Hopefully they can keep it nice and snappy as it fills up.

Thanked by 1bersy
  • bersybersy Member
    edited September 2017

Harambe said: It is. Just grabbed a reseller account for work. Hopefully they can keep it nice and snappy as it fills up.

Thx, and the Crawl feature?

@bersy said:

Harambe said: It is. Just grabbed a reseller account for work. Hopefully they can keep it nice and snappy as it fills up.

Thx, and the Crawl feature?

Looks like it isn't.

WARNING

The crawler feature is not enabled on the LiteSpeed server. Please consult your server admin.

Thanked by 2bersy datanoise
  • Just noticed something when setting up more E-Mail accounts: They seem to use MailChannel for all outgoing E-Mail, which is quite cool because it means your E-Mail won't just go to spam all the time (which has been an issue why I usually use SES or SendGrid for outgoing mail instead of the local SMTP)

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • RhysRhys Member, Host Rep

@doridian said:
    Just noticed something when setting up more E-Mail accounts: They seem to use MailChannel for all outgoing E-Mail, which is quite cool because it means your E-Mail won't just go to spam all the time (which has been an issue why I usually use SES or SendGrid for outgoing mail instead of the local SMTP)

MC is pretty standard on decent shared hosting at this point.

Thanked by 1Zerpy
  • Anyone reselling these in the states?

• Rhys said: MC is pretty standard on decent shared hosting at this point.

Oh, didn't realize. Been out of the shared hosting for quite a while doing everything on my own VPSs (which I now got too lazy to do, due to work needing more time)

• @Rhys said:
    MC is pretty standard on decent shared hosting at this point.

Thanks for calling me decent bae <3

• jetchiragjetchirag Member
    edited September 2017

@Harambe said:

@bersy said:
    Is Litespeed cache supported?

It is. Just grabbed a reseller account for work. Hopefully they can keep it nice and snappy as it fills up.

How much ram did they allocated?

Edit: Already posted above

• Outgoing mail limit?
    MySQL version?
    Bench.php result?

• doridiandoridian Member
    edited September 2017

@dragon1993 said:
    Outgoing mail limit?
    MySQL version?
    Bench.php result?

1) Have not seen a Mail limit, where can this be seen?

2) MariaDB 10.1

3) You mean https://raw.githubusercontent.com/php/php-src/master/Zend/bench.php ?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

$3 / mo per IP is cheap. It’s not as IP prices are comming down, are they ?

• @doridian said:

Rhys said: MC is pretty standard on decent shared hosting at this point.

Oh, didn't realize. Been out of the shared hosting for quite a while doing everything on my own VPSs (which I now got too lazy to do, due to work needing more time)

Well it's not offered on BuyShared which was mentioned previously in this thread for being a cheaper alternative. Just FYI.

• @doridian said:

@dragon1993 said:
    Outgoing mail limit?
    MySQL version?
    Bench.php result?

1) Have not seen a Mail limit, where can this be seen?

2) MariaDB 10.1

3) You mean https://raw.githubusercontent.com/php/php-src/master/Zend/bench.php ?

Yes, i would have liked this:
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/php/php-src/master/Zend/bench.php
    Thanks for the help

@dragon1993 said:

Yes, i would have liked this:
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/php/php-src/master/Zend/bench.php
    Thanks for the help

Here's the output I got (PHP 7.1 being used on this account):

simple 0.053
    simplecall 0.009
    simpleucall 0.023
    simpleudcall 0.025
    mandel 0.167
    mandel2 0.170
    ackermann(7) 0.026
    ary(50000) 0.005
    ary2(50000) 0.004
    ary3(2000) 0.050
    fibo(30) 0.083
    hash1(50000) 0.014
    hash2(500) 0.009
    heapsort(20000) 0.034
    matrix(20) 0.032
    nestedloop(12) 0.087
    sieve(30) 0.020
    strcat(200000) 0.005

Total 0.815

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited September 2017

I hope Ramnode knows what they are getting them selves into, shared hosting is almost twice the work load of any regular VPS customer in my experience. I wonder how long till they realize this and re-evaluate if they want to continue?

Don't get me wrong, if anyone can pull it off Ramnode can, but having done support for everything from shared hosting and e-mail to multi-server clusters and network infrastructure, in most cases the most demanding of support is shared customers.

Maybe they had some extra support cycles to make use of so thought this would be a great way to haze the L1 support agents? :D

Either way @Nick_A good luck with your new venture into shared hosting (you will probably need it)!

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 2Nick_A bersy
  • @TheLinuxBug said: I hope Ramnode knows what they are getting them selves into, shared hosting is almost twice the work load of any regular VPS customer in my experience. I wonder how long till they realize this and re-evaluate if they want to continue?

I imagine that they have thought about this. In addition, the pricing is not particularly low, which should help cover the extra support costs.

@angstrom said:

I imagine that they have thought about this. In addition, the pricing is not particularly low, which should help cover the extra support costs.

I also think their audience is different. I doubt RamNode has the money to advertise like the GoDaddy's and EIG's of the world to compete for shared hosting dollars from normies.

I have a feeling that their audience is fairly tech savvy and will likely end up selling a bunch of plans to devs/designers/technical folks who handle hosting for the normies.

And I agree on pricing, it's not cheap enough to get traction from the masses (and bring in mountains of headaches).

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited September 2017

@Harambe said:

@angstrom said:

I also think their audience is different. I doubt RamNode has the money to advertise like the GoDaddy's and EIG's of the world to compete for shared hosting dollars from normies.

I have a feeling that their audience is fairly tech savvy and will likely end up selling a bunch of plans to devs/designers/technical folks who handle hosting for the normies.

And I agree on pricing, it's not cheap enough to get traction from the masses (and bring in mountains of headaches).

Indeed. They're aiming at a relatively technically competent customer who's willing to pay more for a quality service.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

We updated our pricing a bit. $4 for shared, $8 for reseller. Making sure we have the right balance!

Thanked by 3surihost Harambe bersy
  • @Nick_A said:
    We updated our pricing a bit. $4 for shared, $8 for reseller. Making sure we have the right balance!

Well hey now.. that you're here, how about some VPS specials too?! :D

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • Nick_A said: We updated our pricing a bit. $4 for shared, $8 for reseller. Making sure we have the right balance!

Yep, and removed 25% off too ;) Moreover I still see $7 on 15GB EU plan in the Panel.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@bersy said:

Nick_A said: We updated our pricing a bit. $4 for shared, $8 for reseller. Making sure we have the right balance!

Yep, and removed 25% off too ;) Moreover I still see $7 on 15GB EU plan in the Panel.

Oops, we'll fix that plan. The new base price is cheaper than the previous 25% off.

Thanked by 2bersy Syerate
  • Hmm with the reseller being at 8$/mo I might move some of my clients here :P

• That’s some fair pricing, given the service quality is as expected.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Amitz said:
    That’s some fair pricing, given the service quality is as expected.

This is the only reason I'm hesitating. To wait and see how it plays out..