Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Almost 7 hours downtime
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Almost 7 hours downtime

Intelpentium0Intelpentium0 Member
edited September 2017 in Outages

My Billing (WHMCS) portal and a few client sites was down for 6:58 hrs today
Onra New York location..Now resolved but very bad performance as number of outages everyday!
To view the upimerobot downtime details, plz visit https://imgur.com/a/WvLrw

Comments

• Thanks for letting us know.

• Mmh-kay...

• That's some bad news

• Sorry to hear that, perhaps it's time to look into high-availability/redundancy?

• @jlay said:
    Sorry to hear that, perhaps it's time to look into high-availability/redundancy?

Yes. They offered to move to LAX location. But there will be some downtime. I think its better to move..

• Well $9 reseller including whmcs can not go always good.

Thanked by 1Intelpentium0
  • @WHT said:
    Well $9 reseller including whmcs can not go always good.

Yes. right. A $9.50 deal including whmcs is nice only when they allow it to use on another network. But now a days, whmcs restricts the usage in another IP. Previously, i had whmcs license from arvixe and was using it in my UK server.
    My billing panel is down for hours and calmly waiting because of that damn license.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Buy an external license and host is somewhere that doesn't charge less than a cup of cafe, so you can at least expect some sort of reliability.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor
    edited September 2017

@Clouvider said:
    Buy an external license and host is somewhere that doesn't charge less than a cup of cafe, so you can at least expect some sort of reliability.

$9.50 for a cup of coffee? I knew you'd be a Starbucks guy :P

Thanked by 1SamP
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2017

@MasonR said:

@Clouvider said:

$9.50 for a cup of coffee? I knew you'd be a Starbucks guys :P

Substrate WHMCS cost to figure out the hosting cost.

I prefer Costa to Starbucks though.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@Clouvider said:

True, didn't think about that.

Was just a jest since Starbucks is notoriously expensive for what I think is sub-par (at least certainly not worth the cost) coffee. I don't think we have any Costas over here. I tend to brew my own with some locally roasted beans. Saves on cost and waste in the end since I drink more coffee than would be considered healthy :)

• Let's break this down:

• Lowest WHMCS starter plan cost for a reseller with maximum tier discount (101+ active licenses) is $7.20.

• PayPal fee for $9.50 with domestic rate for under $3k/month (2.9%) + fixed fee ($0.30) is $0.58.

• PayPal fee for $9.50 with cross-border / intl. rate for under $3k/month (3.9%) + fixed fee ($0.30) is $0.67.

I'm assuming this is an international sale, so $7.20 + $0.67 = $7.87.

$9.50 - $7.87 = $1.63/month is what the provider keeps after paying license costs and fees. Excludes server rental/colocation/IP costs, support staff costs, and profit.

This is just a rough calculation, excludes other payment vendors (cards, BTC), the PayPal fee can be lower if the provider grosses more than $3k monthly or the WHMCS cost can be higher if the discount they receive is lower (eg. they have less than 101 licenses). If they do indeed have less than 101, say between 76-100 the cost for the starter plan is $8.00 instead of $7.20.

$8.00 + $0.67 = $8.67 so $9.50 - $8.67 = $0.83/month.

If they have less than 76 active licenses then they've got bigger problems than PayPal fees to worry about because the fee for the starter plan on that tier is $9.60 which is more than they charge.

Just some insight into this.

Thanked by 2HWAYS Intelpentium0
  • Found a starter license provider for $10 (Rs.650) per month in India. Don't know about the reliability. 18% GST extra.
    Allowed on external ip

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Intelpentium0 said:
    Found a starter license provider for $10 (Rs.650) per month in India. Don't know about the reliability. 18% GST extra.
    Allowed on external ip

WHMCS reseller licenses are always internal. With no exceptions.

Thanked by 1Intelpentium0
  • @Clouvider said:

@MasonR said:

@Clouvider said:

$9.50 for a cup of coffee? I knew you'd be a Starbucks guys :P

Substrate or Subtract? High school English :)

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited September 2017

7 hours of downtime isn't that bad, it's quite good actually for a low end host. It means that there is someone who was doing his job and did it well after a while. Now, i know of low end hosts who really have had 99% uptime and kudos to them, but that's not a modest user requirement at all.

• @Janevski said:
    7 hours of downtime isn't that bad, it's quite good actually for a low end host. It means that there is someone who was doing his job and did it well after a while. Now, i know of low end hosts who really have had 99% uptime and kudos to them, but that's not a modest user requirement at all.

99% uptime = 87 hours downtime / year.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • @Janevski said:

Onra is quite expensive as per their present plans. I got the $9.5 plan on an offer day. Anyhow 7 hours downtime in a day is bad. I have a dummy site on Woot ultra cheap reseller plan which is far better. It is down multiple times on several days. But not this much hours.