Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CPU intensive KVM needed with multiple cores
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CPU intensive KVM needed with multiple cores

goexodusgoexodus Member
edited March 2013 in General

I have an application analyzing historical patterns of real time multidimensional data that is CPU/Mem intensive but not IO. Unfortunately it runs one analysis per processor/core, each analyses takes about 20 seconds, so to scale up/speed up the analysis I need as many cores as I can get.

Need KVM (windows app) or windows VPS around 2GB-4GB mem around 10GB-30GB space,

Any suggestions of a scalable cloud provider ?

PS. It's a propriatery application that I have no way of modifying unless i rewrite the whole app in MATLAB using the parallel processing toolbox running CUDA GPU/CPU ...

Comments

• EC2 or Google Compute Engine
    Use the High-CPU instance types

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

I'd recommend EC2 as well

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Azure is another choice - you can do Linux VMs there.

• earlearl Member
    edited March 2013

you can check this out.. Not sure if you can install windows thought?

OVH cloud beta

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Don't use OVH. May as well get a dedicated server at that point.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Bluevm quarter server

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited March 2013

I'd suggest GoGrid. They have some $100 free usage ads floating around on Google and Gmail (you need to chat with their live chat to get the credit). The datacenters are in San Francisco, Ashburn VA, and Amsterdam
    http://gogrid.com/solutions/high-performance

• goexodusgoexodus Member
    edited March 2013

the OVH cloud beta is probably the best way to test thinks ... My VMWare servers do not scale well and i think KVM has same scaling problem looking redhat tech reports

Does anyone have access to OVH beta to cut a deal ?

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

DigitalOcean would be another option.

• DigitalOcean would be another option.

No it wouldn't. Their modified KVM has limited scalability for the type of computing he's doing.

My VMWare servers do not scale well

I would suggest OracleVM but it only runs on Solaris and Oracle Linux. It kicks VMWare's ass in terms of scalability :P

edited March 2013

I'd suggest GoGrid

I checked their prices and its like 8000 per year for 12 cores ... and u don't even keep the server after :)

• Whats your budget, we have a couple of KVM nodes with 32 cores that we can sell some dedicated CPU on.

Submit a ticket at nodedeploy.com

• Check out Lunacloud.com - their GUI can select the mix of memory / storage / cores independently. I've only used them for tinkering, but if their limit of 8 cores/vm is acceptable they might be useful. (64 UKP/month for 2Gbyte/10Gbyte/8 core windows VM).

They charge 50% of the base charge for shut-down instances (unlike EC2), which is a bit annoying, and why I'm not using them at the moment. However, I think you can snapshot instances and spawn fresh instances from the image, leaving you only being charged the image storage costs while the instance is deleted.

• go to the beach for the weekend.
    leave your pc open

when you're back everything will be ready

edited March 2013

go to the beach for the weekend. leave your pc open

Its ongoing marketing data coming in realtime from various online sources. Data stream never ends ,,, but thanks for the tip ... will definitely go to the beach soon