Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for advice for renting 100 instances of windows
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for advice for renting 100 instances of windows

In the first topic i created seeking these 100 instances of windows @ a cheap rate, someone brought up a very interesting point: why not just use multiple window user accounts? As I don't need mulitple dedicated ips - one would be enough. My question is twofold: would multiple user accounts reduce hardware overhead compared to running VM's? I would assume so, but I am not an expert on these matters. Also, the rates im seeing for 100 windows VM's is about $3/mo for the cheapest - would I see a price decrease if i went dedicated and just created user accounts? Also, can these user accounts all be logged in at the same time using remote desktop software such as RDP or teamviewer? Thanks..

Comments

• Oh wow, that was a quick response! What kind of hardware would I need to handle 100 live windows sessions all running very lightweight (browser + maybe some small piece of software + remote desktop running)

• racksxracksx Member
    edited June 2017

E5 - 64/128GB RAM/ SSD a good knowledge of active directory and users permissions

Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • how many cores would i need?

• ChristianDSHChristianDSH Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2017

racksx said: E5 - 64/128GB RAM/ SSD a good knowledge of active directory and users permissions

And a bunch of CALs for your users, since only 2-3 sessions at once are possible without CALs on windows server 2012 for example.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • That solely depends on the version used, not all need CALs, and there are legal ways around for some (eg. DC -> HyperV -> N connections be instance running).

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

As a commercial RDP provider employee, I see from 500MB all the way up to 2GB per user avg, depending on usage.

What will the users be doing, what software is being installed?

• With VPS all your tenants would have administrator access as well, but you can not do this with user accounts, is this something you are OKAY with?

• ChristianDSHChristianDSH Member, Host Rep

William said: That solely depends on the version used, not all need CALs, and there are legal ways around for some (eg. DC -> HyperV -> N connections be instance running).

Yeah but he wanted 100 users (at once) and not virtualize on that one machine.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Well it really really depends on what they are doing, are 100 people activly logged in and doing something?

What is the "small piece of software" it might only be 500kb in size but if it is something to automate posts/purchased/scraping info/auto clicking/macro's etc then it will actually end up being very heavy on resources most likely.

for the browser, what will be running, 1 tab, 10 tabs, what website will be open, any media etc?

I think what you should do is buy 1 windows VM from anyone, and use perfmon to record about 6 hours worth of active use, then assume 50% is avg use, as obviously, they won't be running the entire Windows OS for every new RDP session.

if it is constantly paging, you need more ram, upgrade the ram until it is no longer constantly hitting the page file, then as I said assume about 50% of whatever it is using for each user.

The problem is if you don't already know what specific resources you need anything we say is not even close to accurate and you may end up wasting time or money or both.