Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stripe drops Alipay
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Stripe drops Alipay

Just received from Stripe

Hello,

This is David from Stripe. I'm reaching out with an urgent notice regarding Alipay processing on your Stripe account.

Effective Friday, November 18 at 23:59 PT (07:59 UTC) we will be ending your account's usage of Alipay as a payment method on Stripe because our partner, Alipay, has suddenly changed its acceptable business categories on their network.

What action do I need to take?

Before Friday, November 18 at 23:59 pm PT, we recommend disabling Alipay in Checkout by setting "data-alipay" in your Checkout code to "false".

If you do not take this action, effective Friday, November 18 at 23:59 pm PT, your customers will begin to see the following error message if they choose Alipay as a payment option in Checkout:

"Alipay is currently unavailable. Please select another payment method"

If you have any questions on how to disable Alipay in Checkout, or how to communicate this change with your customers, please let us know and we'd be glad to walk you through the process and answer any questions.

To be clear, this change will have no effect on your ability to charge customers through other payment methods on Stripe, such as credit cards.

Lastly, on behalf of Stripe, we are extremely sorry for this sudden change. This is the last thing we want to have to tell our users that have been impacted by Alipay's change in acceptable merchant categories. We recognize that Alipay has been a key component of your processing, and we're happy to help you incorporate other payment methods on your account in light of this change.

If there is anything I can clarify further here, or any questions I can answer, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Sincerely,

David Meadows
Stripe User Operations

Thanked by 1GCat

Comments

• 'rip'

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

We also got the same message. This is unfortunate, especially with the short notice.

Thanked by 2GCat Foul
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

It impacts less than a handful of customers for me but perhaps prevents more than a handful ever becoming customers.

Thanked by 3GCat Foul netomx
  • Stripe allowing me to accept Alipay was the better mousetrap. I received at least a few dozen payments each month that way, but hopefully those customers can use credit/debt cards as well. It was probably very convenient for them.

• So what changes has Alipay made to their "acceptable merchant categories"? They no longer want to process payments for hosting?

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

rds100 said: So what changes has Alipay made to their "acceptable merchant categories"? They no longer want to process payments for hosting?

Won't be the first. While signing up for 2co, they informed me that due the nature of our business, they will keep a 25% rolling reserve. They obsviously accept hosting companies again, with some ridicilous fees applied.

• Stripe gave us the boot.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Welp, back to direct Alipay then.

Francisco

Thanked by 3Foul netomx fan
  • Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Francisco said: Welp, back to direct Alipay then.

miTgiB said: Alipay, has suddenly changed its acceptable business categories on their networ

I do not see how it helps to go direct if they do not allow your business to be on their network?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Awmusic12635 said:
    I do not see how it helps to go direct if they do not allow your business to be on their network?

They don't allow of Stripe's business, or at least who they do business with, they have absolutely no issues with BuyVM. I've talked to their departments lots over the years and have even helped them to address issues in their API's.

We simply stopped using direct Alipay for a while due to the inability to refund payments.

Francisco

• Is it all about aliyun? I need to earn more money though paypal or get an official job to apply a credit card then. Otherwise I could not pay to some providers.

• This is so unfortunate.

Looking for alearnatives...

Paymentwall? Maybe...

• @XIAOSpider97 said:
    This is so unfortunate.

Looking for alearnatives...

Paymentwall? Maybe...

You can use direct from Alipay like Francisco does.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • @Francisco, we do use Alipay directly, and we are having no issues in refunding, oh yes we did forgot the payment password, however, we manage to get it reset by Alipay.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2016

Anyone know if Paymentwall will be applying the same restrictions shortly?

• haberthabert Member
    edited May 2017

@BrianHarrison said:
    Anyone know if Paymentwall will be applying the same restrictions shortly?

Paymetwall should support hosting business, however, their settlement period is too long. We have compared paymentwall, payssion and g2a and finally chose payssion. You can find the following for the thread about the details:
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2032902

• LeviLevi Member

Paymentwall fees are very high. Who use them? I saw it only on pharma sites and other "shady" business's

• oshqeuoshqeu Member

Paymentwall has very slow support and high fees , so better found something other

• Stripe Don't accept Hosting Providers anyhow so doesn't affect us.

• oshqeuoshqeu Member

@GalaxyHostPlus said:
    Stripe Don't accept Hosting Providers anyhow so doesn't affect us.

Can you please give some proof ?

• @oshqeu said:

@GalaxyHostPlus said:
    Stripe Don't accept Hosting Providers anyhow so doesn't affect us.

Can you please give some proof ?

Can't find the email anymore as it was 1-year ago, But they mention their bank don't allow Cloud Services. as it's against their policy and they closed our accounts.

• oshqeuoshqeu Member
    edited May 2017

GalaxyHostPlus said: Can't find the email anymore as it was 1-year ago, But they mention their bank don't allow Cloud Services. as it's against their policy and they closed our accounts.

Maybe for Ireland but not from Singapore

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@oshqeu said:

GalaxyHostPlus said: Can't find the email anymore as it was 1-year ago, But they mention their bank don't allow Cloud Services. as it's against their policy and they closed our accounts.

Maybe for Ireland but not from Singapore

Not in the US either.