Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LowEndTalk Community Rules (Updated April 2023) - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LowEndTalk Community Rules (Updated April 2023)

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2017

raindog308 said: You've been here since 2011. It's not like the community has radically changed since then.

Nope, the GIF issue is a recent thing. There has never been this amount of tasteless GIF junk en masse across threads, not at any point in time since 2011. Still I would not want to pinpoint it to any of the recently registered users even though that might be justified in some cases.

trewq said: If a limit were to be set of a max per post how many would you think? I'd go with three if we were to set a limit.

As linked above, here are two posts side by side with 3 each:
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2158506/#Comment_2158506
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2158512/#Comment_2158512
    Looks good to you, seriously? And when an entire thread is hijacked by a flood of these, do you honestly believe stuff like this belongs anywhere but to the "Cest Pit"? Even the "Offtopic" category has never been down to this level of noise, on the contrary here on LET you could find some of the best and most insightful "Offtopic" discussions on certain subjects.

Thanked by 1danielyi
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

rm_ said: Even the "Offtopic" category has never been down to this level of noise

It is true that @spirit would delete posts that were images only if not screenshots relevant to the discussion, but he's been gone for quite some time.

I'm a bit curious if you could expand on why this bothers you and reduces your quality of experience on the site? I mean I know you can scroll past them, and you know an entire thread hijacked by a bunch of memes would obviously be a different scenario than these examples. it seems like there's a deeper issue that maybe we're not hearing, and I would appreciate if you could give us some insight into that.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@rm_ said:

trewq said: If a limit were to be set of a max per post how many would you think? I'd go with three if we were to set a limit.

As linked above, here are two posts side by side with 3 each:
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2158506/#Comment_2158506
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2158512/#Comment_2158512
    Looks good to you, seriously? And when an entire thread is hijacked by a flood of these, do you honestly believe stuff like this belongs anywhere but to the "Cest Pit"? Even the "Offtopic" category has never been down to this level of noise, on the contrary here on LET you could find some of the best and most insightful "Offtopic" discussions on certain subjects.

Honestly I don't see it as noise. I don't look at all posts, takes less than a second to see if you want it to take your attention.

We aren't a mailing list where everything goes to your inbox with a alert, you have a choice about what you see.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I agree with @rm_ that the majority of gifs that get posted aren't funny, interesting, or in any way worth the data transfer, but I don't see enough of them for me to care too much.

• LeeLee Veteran

jarland said: he's been gone for quite some time.

You're welcome.

Thanked by 2jar dhanav
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

Lee said: You're welcome.

I think his 'spirit' lives on in Captain Killjoy/@Ishaq though.

• LeeLee Veteran

Nekki said: I think his 'spirit' lives on in Captain Killjoy/@Ishaq though.

Harsh, I have not made any secret that I don't think he is the best fit however just as I can disagree with Jarland the Administrator it has absolutely no bearing on Jarland as a friend, the two are quite separate.

In the same manner I am sure that Ishaq is a good guy overall.

I guess I can separate the two elements, many can't.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @trewq said:

@rm_ said:

raindog308 said: You seem to be having a bad day...? You're not usually so aggressive.

Sorry, but it doesn't make a good day seeing a place that I like and enjoy since 2011 being over-flooded with junk and noise in every thread, and rapidly going down in quality while people who are supposed to watch over this just cheering and not trying to stop that. If you want to discuss then let's continue in the corresponding thread: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2158827/#Comment_2158827

In my opinion the quality has increased. We treat everyone as if we have known them for years, we throw shit and expect it back, we're here to have fun and learn from each other. If that's not a community I don't know what is.

I'm sad that you think otherwise, you've contributed a decent amount to the community and I would want to address your concerns before they reach critical mass.

I assess each gif post I see and they are normally in context. If a limit were to be set of a max per post how many would you think? I'd go with three if we were to set a limit.

... only to find that a large number of users have been here for years. (ps. no one on LET has a life, jkjkjk!)

• WSSWSS Member

I have a complaint about the abelist nature of this forum.

I clicked "Post Comment", and I received an error message of "Body is required."

Being of person born without the constraints of a torso, I am highly offended!

Thanked by 2doghouch Claverhouse
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Added a rule about posting in English, as mods can't moderate posts they can't read.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Any chance of a rule about sneaker proxies?

Nekki said: Any chance of a rule about sneaker proxies?

I snuck it into the White Hat section a while back:

"Just to be clear - that list of subjects includes traffic exchange, botnets, subnets so you can barrage sneaker companies in search of the latest tennis shoes, as well as anything that might cause headaches for a hosting provider."

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

Added rule about all commercial IP related posts to only be posted in THE AIO IP Related Thread. (IPv4 + IPv6 + ASN) thread.

Thanked by 1GenjiSwitchPls
  • I'd personally like to question the moderation team of LET

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@GenjiSwitchPls said:
    I'd personally like to question the moderation team of LET

So not only have we got a mod who doesn't want to actually moderate, but another who wipes his arse with his own clothes.

I'd say that's a perfect fit for LET.

• @Nekki said:

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

So not only have we got a mod who doesn't want to actually moderate, but another who wipes his arse with his own clothes.

I love LET Discord

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@maldovia said:

@Nekki said:

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

I love LET Discord

Fuck off back there then?

• jikjikjikjik Member

Seems the telegram groups does not exist: http://puu.sh/w9DGF/c3a5100072.jpg

@jikjik said:

@Nekki manages our alternative discussion platform portfolio. He's been tied uo in his Discord evangelization efforts of late.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • TomTom Member

@jikjik said:

It does. From what country was the phone number you made your account with from?

• jikjikjikjik Member

@Yoda said:

@jikjik said:

It does. From what country was the phone number you made your account with from?

UAE, why?

• JinxJinx Member

@jikjik said:

@Yoda said:

@jikjik said:

UAE, why?

Wait for MXroute Dubai location.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • I like these rules :)

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Gamehostonline said:
    I like these rules :)

When might we expect your first offer post?

• @Nekki said:

@Gamehostonline said:

Not any time soon im still learning

Thanked by 1joepie91
  • @Gamehostonline said:

@Nekki said:

@Gamehostonline said:

How does 14 days sound?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

@Gamehostonline said:

@Nekki said:

@Gamehostonline said:

How does 14 days sound?

Sounds like enough time to learn the hosting biz, rent a server, appoint yourself CEO and write an offer post!

Thanked by 1GenjiSwitchPls
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Nekki said:

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

@Gamehostonline said:

@Nekki said:

@Gamehostonline said:

How does 14 days sound?

Sounds like enough time to learn the hosting biz, rent a server, appoint yourself CEO and write an offer post!

You don't have to worry. I have no desire to post an offer here. New company link in my signature.

Sincerely,
    Joshua Prout

• What about SEO, guys? Do we welcome posts or offers that advertise SEO services? I am not sure whether this topic is covered by some part of the rules yet...

• WSSWSS Member

@Amitz said:
    What about SEO, guys? Do we welcome posts or offers that advertise SEO services? I am not sure whether this topic is covered by some part of the rules yet...

It should be contained in a single thread, like the Cest Pit. No rules.