Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

August 2011 Dead Pool Discussion
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

August 2011 Dead Pool Discussion

LowEndAdminLowEndAdmin Member
edited August 2011 in General

Hi all,

One thing I want to do is to have a dedicated monthly thread to talk about the dead pool provider to help me to know what was going on, before I post the dead pool list on LowEndBox.com one week after the start of the month. I have only been tracking providers using my scripts and due to busyness I can't visit WHT that often to soak in all the industry news. So maybe some of you might be able to help out reporting the dead and zombie providers.

August has almost finished, and so far I've got:

• BeyondAllKnowledge.com -- have been showing the cPanel suspended account page since 28 August.
  • ClubUptime.com -- okay. Their website died at the beginning of the month and we all sort of knew what was going on.
  • EdgeVPS.com -- now part of "Thunder Cloud Games". Future of their existing VPS clients are still unknown.
  • IPAP.co -- their website is still online. However judging from the response from their latest thread, it looks like a zombie provider where no one is providing support.
  • OneDollarVPS.com -- looks like Alex/Barry from HostSign.co.uk did a runner. Promised that it would be back online, but yet nothing for now.
  • TropicHost.com -- also on the watch list of Dead Pool July 2011, but Donald said that they will be back soon. Supposedly on 23 August but a week later there is still no sign.

Anyone else?

Comments

• I think we should have a party for ipap going down. I hate it for their customers but they were one of the "They don't have a clue, they need to be in the dead pool" providers.

• kalamkalam Member
    edited August 2011

Both my VPS's with IPAP.co are up and running at this moment. Their WHMCS and one of my VPS's was down for a few days and they mentioned that they were doing upgrades/maintenance. My account looks like it was automatically credited for 2 months of payment for that VPS though.

Not that I recommend them or anything, but I'm not so sure if they are dead pool at the moment.

• @kalam -- thanks for the info.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

IPAP.co have always been taking payments while they provide very very slow response support. I think they belong in the dead pool if they don't get their act together! I don't really like their services not even considering the support. But the VPS is up.

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited August 2011

@Infinity

I think they belong in the dead pool if they don't get their act together!

As much as it pains me, LEA said a couple of times that he won't do that. Brain dead doesn't count. sigh

• tuxtux Member
    edited August 2011

My IPAP.co's SuperVPS have been down over four weeks. Next due date is tomorrow. This is last paid month with this provider!

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Everyone should quit IPAP at once and surprise em.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

I feel pretty bad for anyone that took what onedollarvps had promised. If you have 'hacked vps's used for brute forcing' then you suspend that VM, not take down the whole node to 'deal with it'.

W2Servers is long dead, i'm not sure if you ever deadpooled them. Their site is still online and they're accepting NEW orders, not sure if they're getting setup or not. I know that everyone that had service lost it a few months ago.

The original 'LowEndBox' NordicVPS is dead as of September when they are closing out all $15/y and likely some other plans. It's still unclear how many people actually took them up on their $15/y extensions after the 2 - 3 month 'hardware failure outage'

Francisco

• w2servers got mentioned a couple of deadpools ago:

http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/deadpool-june-2011/

Hmmm, LEA doesn't use a dead pool tag.

• Go59954Go59954 Member
    edited August 2011

@kalam: I'm afraid there is difference between dead pooled and Zombie, and other conditions. Dr. LowEndAdmin mentioned they are probably Zombie, which is one of many states a provider enters, before they are officially in dead pool.

• I would suggest adding tinyvps.ca to the dead pool. In fact, they are accepting new orders, but according to a e-mail the support recently sent to all customers, they will stop their services at the end of September.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited August 2011

I forgot to mention, HostSign (OneDollarVPS) owe me over $100 still, from a few months ago.

Travis (EdgeVPS) actually said somewhere a few weeks ago, that his aim is to make new companies, then sell them over and over again, and hopes to make over $100k from it. I have a screenshot somewhere. He has no technical knowledge, infact 5 providers on LeB have me on Skype, and have me on speed dial regarding things such as "turning off OpenVZ"

• IPAP.co is still very much alive, I just got a new month and my VPS is still working.
    Working as in, I can log into it. I have no idea why I keep wasting my money on them tho.

HostSign is dead for sure, everything is down, including their website. I'd be really surprised to see them come back.

• LESLES Member
    edited August 2011

Beyondallknowledge seems to be complete down yet

http://sitechecker.eu/?http://beyondallknowledge.com/

Edit: back online!

• IPaps website makes me want to vomit, why would anybody purchase from there, you can tell just looking at the website somethings not right. Ive seen that template used a lot, but this is the worst recoding of it i have seen yet!

• Francisco said: The original 'LowEndBox' NordicVPS is dead

Yes I know they won't renew that offer, although I don't think the company as a whole is dead yet.

HerrMaulwurf said: I would suggest adding tinyvps.ca to the dead pool.

Yeah. All the Kerplunc.com sites would be on the watch list...

Daniel said: Travis (EdgeVPS) actually said somewhere a few weeks ago, that his aim is to make new companies

Yeah that's pretty much how I understand their business model. They are also one of few providers that keep on sending me the same emails again and again trying to get listed. I am not surprised that LowEndBox.com is just one part of their pump and dump strategy.

• @VMport

why would anybody purchase from there

I ask that of a lot of these hosts. Amazes me that some of them get any business.

• GaryGary Member

Along with ODVPS, shouldn't HostSign be on the list?

• In summary, w2servers, ipap.co, onedollarvps... to the:

"zombiepool"!!!

And what about Vazapi in the VPS business? They are technically out of that, everyone is now with netrouting (and I have a freaking fast VPS with them now).

• Gary said: HostSign...

HostSign = OneDollarVPS and there wasn't separate listing for them.

yomero said: They are technically out of that

I am sure they will return. Vazapi is not the first VPS business they have dumped/sold...

Thanked by 1Gary
  • LowEndAdmin said: I am sure they will return. Vazapi is not the first VPS business they have dumped/sold...

Probably, but I am happy because it was a decent service for me, and I received mails communicating the situation. Also the transition was smooth, and my old vps was on some extra days n_n

• GaryGary Member

HostSign = OneDollarVPS and there wasn't separate listing for them.

Gotcha.

• armyf9armyf9 Member
    edited August 2011

I think there should be a star or some form of indication next to the company title (on LEB) to indicate they're a firly new company (e.g less than 2 years old). A lot of people are losing money and hair over unreliable hosts.

• I had a test vps with Hostsign. Think it was $1.00 per month on an Atom :)

• TinyVPS.ca 's host node in England (praxeum [109.169.27.87]) dropped offline at Sept 1 9:45 GMT. No announcements, of course. The 3rd party monitoring that TinyVPS & KerpluncHosting used (pingdom.com) gives a '404 not found' when I ask for the uptime reports. No response from the TinyVPS host node in Toronto either.

It hasn't been 24 hours yet, too early to tell if this is just a glitch. I did once have a 3-day outage of their Toronto node -- no announcement, no follow-up, my request ticket for an explanation was auto-closed by a robot, so I have no idea what caused that or if a 3-day outage is "normal" for them.

• @armyf9 why not just read the description of the offer? Age is one of the items LEA checks for although his cut off is a year, not two.

• HostSign/OneDollarVPS announces comeback:

"I am pleased to announce that service to our VPS range of products has been restored.
    We are currently assigning new IP addresses to each VPS on our system, so please keep an eye out for the relevent email over the next 24hours"

• Don't forget CurlHost they appear to be a zombie host at the present time.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?p=7664634#post7664634

• Sounds like HostSign/OneDollarVPS either got caught doing something that they shouldn't have (ie ignoring abuse complaints) and/or didn't pay their bills and had to relocate.

• drmike said: Sounds like HostSign/OneDollarVPS either got caught doing something that they shouldn't have (ie ignoring abuse complaints) and/or didn't pay their bills and had to relocate.

I suspect a bit of both if im honest.