Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Restricting one bad virtual host install from impacting other installs on the same VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Restricting one bad virtual host install from impacting other installs on the same VPS

Hi,

How do you restrict one bad (vulnerable) Virtual Host from affecting other installations on the VPS? A friend also hosts his Wordpress site (basically a one pager for his work) on the same box as I have my personal sites (Wordpress again). All of this is setup as virtual hosts using lighttpd as the web server.

His wordpress site was not updated for some time which was used by an attacker to upload scripts and send emails by the dozen. Since all the wordpress vhosts are within the typical var/www directory and owned by www-data, my installs also have random php files uploaded.

I think this is a typical situation for those who run multiple sites from one VPS (one rotten apple in the basket). How do you typically deal with such a situation?

Thanks,
Ramesh

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

Use KVM and not OVZ, or better yet- make him someone else's problem. Tell him to get services with a provider you do not use, or care for.

Thanked by 2abytecurious vmhaus
  • Ah! I didn't know about the KVM OVZ difference. Thank you.

Unfortunately, there is a quid pro quo here, can't push him out. (Will probably put him on a KVM migrating from the current OVZ)

• @ramesh_vish

You don't even have to do that; just use something like mod_suphp and run each site as its own user to prevent extra damage.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • Thanks @FlamesRunner. I'll have to read up on this.