Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Personal Tor exit node
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Personal Tor exit node

Is it possible? It will be private for only 1 person. If possible, how can it be done?

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

Might as well run a VPN, then..

• Doesn't that defat the purpose of TOR?

Thanked by 2netomx ucxo
  • time to repost this

• @WSS said:

Purpose personal exit node for Tor Browser.

• parca_ne said: Purpose personal exit node for Tor Browser.

lol

May I suggest you go post that on some privacy forum? They'll appreciate it.

Thanked by 2chinmoy Janevski
  • HxxxHxxx Member

Defeats the purpose of Tor. For single->VPN

Thanked by 1netomx
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Can I ask why you want to use tor at all?

• chinmoychinmoy Member
    edited April 2017

@Ole_Juul said:

parca_ne said: Purpose personal exit node for Tor Browser.

lol

May I suggest you go post that on some privacy forum? They'll appreciate it.

I suggest the tor mailing list :)

On a serious note to the OP, if privacy and security is what you want, then I suggest run a few tor bridges and configure your torrc to use those bridges.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • @jarland said:

Is tor use prohibited?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@parca_ne said:

@jarland said:

Is tor use prohibited?

I'm asking for your reason, your motivation. What is it's purpose for you?

• JarryJarry Member

@parca_ne said:

Are you really aware of security implications?

• @parca_ne It sounds like you may think that Tor is some special kind of encryption. It's not. If something is encrypted the only concern is how strong it is. Tor gets its privacy from the way it traverses the internet. It is very difficult to trace where the request came from. If you are the owner of the end point, then they can find you right there. That is why we are all laughing. :)

• sergsergiusergsergiu Member
    edited April 2017

Plausible Deniability? :] But still need traffic from other users...or maybe 'server' will be bought in a safe way (''anonymous'')

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

parca_ne said: Is it possible? It will be private for only 1 person. If possible, how can it be done?

This is akin to saying you want your own private subway line. Sure, you can do it, but when you're the only person on the train, it isn't hard to see where you're going.

Thanked by 3deadbeef Chronic netomx
  • @parca_ne said:
    Is it possible? It will be private for only 1 person. If possible, how can it be done?

Do you know the basic usage of tor?

• @parca_ne said:

@WSS said:

We are trying to tell you that this is a stupid idea and will lower the security of your browsing experience.

edited April 2017

Is not a 'normal' usage of tor in this case. But not decreases any security/other , is more secure to use always random exit node? Is not more secure to use random exitnode is just increased "anonymity".

@parca_ne wants just a response if can use a exitnode strictly private for him. Well,i dont know if you can use a custom exitnode and keep it private/secure just for you but you have another solution. Create a hidden service on remote machine (http://www.nurdletech.com/linux-notes/ssh/hidden-service.html) can follow this example and use ssh to create a dynamic socks or other service in same way. :)

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited April 2017

sergsergiu said: Is not more secure to use random exitnode is just increased "anonymity".

It is. Obviously it is. SO OBVIOUSLY IT IS alone by the route you take to the exit.

And no, what OP wants, is by network DESIGN not possible - the only way would be to only allow ONE port through it and connect through this port to his external service then. Even then anyone else could use that port.

Thanked by 3WSS nulldev netomx
  • GiulioGiulio Member
    edited April 2017

@William said:

It is. Obviously it is. SO OBVIOUSLY IT IS alone by the route you take to the exit.

And no, what OP wants, is by network DESIGN not possible - the only way would be to only allow ONE port through it and connect through this port to his external service then. Even then anyone else could use that port.

Actually what OP says should be theoretically possible. He has just to modify the tor core for his exit node not to advertise on Directory Authorities and modify the tor core of his client to use his exit not event if not weighted nor parte of the Directory Authorities consensus.
    People with the same modification on the client might still use your exit node, but i doubt you'll find any other insane guy which would do something like that.

• @William said:

sergsergiu said: Is not more secure to use random exitnode is just increased "anonymity".

I was expecting much more of a harsh/troll response to this meme thread. I am severely disappointed in you :(

edited April 2017

Anyway, the point of @parca_ne was how can he use a remote server B as external "proxy" using this trough tor. So i think "hidden service" is the response and "Exit Node" is just his bad expression or what we misunderstood "Exit Node" = Public/Standard Tor Exit Node

• @sergsergiu said:
    Anyway, the point of @parca_ne was how can he use a remote server B as external "proxy" using this trough tor. So i think "hidden service" is the response and "Exit Node" is just his bad expression or what we misunderstood "Exit Node" = Public/Standard Tor Exit Node

How were you able to understand that?

edited April 2017

@Giulio, only if you want to reinvent the wheel you will modify entire protocol to create a standard tor exitnode with your "custom cloak" needs.

If a standard tor exitnode (private) will be possible = Not listed in pub dir, forward traffic only for me.

Hidden Service = Not listed in pub dir, forward traffic only for me (in this example.)

From this i was able to understand this, + from your response about "network design".

• @sergsergiu said:
    @Giulio, only if you want to reinvent the wheel you will modify entire protocol to create a standard tor exitnode with your "custom cloak" needs.

I'm not saying this is not insane and modifying the code itself is a bad idea, i just said that from a "network design" point of view it should be possible.

• In conclusion exists another usable solution for @parca_ne? Or just a ''proxy'' hosted in a hidden service :)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @sergsergiu said:
    In conclusion exists another usable solution for @parca_ne? Or just a ''proxy'' hosted in a hidden service :)

Tor->VPN

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited April 2017

Giulio said: He has just to modify the tor core for his exit node

Which means it will not be accepted into the network, as the code is modified. So pointless.

GenjiSwitchPls said: I was expecting much more of a harsh/troll response to this meme thread. I am severely disappointed in you :(

Why would i? This is a serious thread, i am involved in Tor and it has nothing to do with me. So why would i troll or be harsh?

Again, as people seem to think i'm some idiot/troll whatever here, i'm not - i jut reply to idiotic answers and similar with such things.

• GiulioGiulio Member
    edited April 2017

@William said:

Which means it will not be accepted into the network, as the code is modified. So pointless.

Can you please point me in which of the specification txts or in which point in the source this is addressed?

Edit: ops i just understood that the middle relay won't recognize the exit relay as part of the consesus and refuse to use it. Apologies.
    Still i'd like to know if there's anything in the network that check the integrity of the nodes in some ways.

• @William said:

GenjiSwitchPls said: I was expecting much more of a harsh/troll response to this meme thread. I am severely disappointed in you :(

Why would i? This is a serious thread, i am involved in Tor and it has nothing to do with me. So why would i troll or be harsh?

Again, as people seem to think i'm some idiot/troll whatever here, i'm not - i jut reply to idiotic answers and similar with such things.

His request I would class as idiotic. That's what I meant. I do not deem you to be a troll or idiot. I know you just often take a more joking side to threads that are a bit "off". This is one I expected.