Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KVM VPS, Worth the money?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KVM VPS, Worth the money?

vmhausvmhaus Member, Top Host, Host Rep
edited April 2017 in Help

Dear LETers,

What do you guys think of the VPS plan below? In terms of features and pricing. Would you give it a shot?

KVM

1 x E3 vCPU

1GB RAM

20GB NVMe SSD

5TB @ 1Gbps

OVH Anti-DDos PRO

1IPv4 + 1 IPv6

SnapShot Backup - via Control Panel

USD 5/ Month

Really appreciate your input on this! Good day!

Worth buying?
  1. Worth buying?72 votes
    1. YES
      56.94%
    2. NO
      43.06%

Comments

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

It is good pricing with nvme .

• it do worth, but you can find a cheaper one over the internet for around 4 USD's instead of five.

• IF australian sure.

• It's at least competitive, but from a new provider I'd probably wait a while for reports from other users. I'm pretty happy with the 2GB OVH VPS-SSD-1 which is usually $3.50/month but which I got for 50% off during their black friday special last year.

NVMe is fast but shared a bunch of VPS's who knows--I wouldn't count it that highly, and if it matters then I'm probably better off with 2x the ram. The OVH VPS has half of the SSD space but that's ok because I have a storage VPS in the same DC, so I just sshfs mount it and I have tons of space. Your main advantage is the 1gbps port. The low cost OVH VPS's only have 100mbit and that matters sometimes.

Thanked by 1bersy
  • ihellihell Member

Could you leave me a private message of who the provider is?

• Oh I thought OP was considering selling a plan like that and checking for interest. Now that I think of it though, @pbgben has a plan along those lines and it sounds decent.

• Yes, worth buying just go for it. Who's the provider? BTW

• Probably @pbgben in the Easter Thread. Sounds like one he put up there, but I can't be certain, and too lazy to check atm.

• ihellihell Member

@AuroraZ said:
    Probably @pbgben in the Easter Thread. Sounds like one he put up there, but I can't be certain, and too lazy to check atm.

No, their $5 plan only contains 10 NVMe storage.

• You might want to mention if it is RAID, and if so the RAID level.

• How much does snapshot cost?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2017

sanvit said: How much does snapshot cost?

If someone is using OVH for VPS hosting infrastructure they are not using anything custom or expensive so no snapshots I imagine.

Its a good package though at a good price.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@ihell said:

@AuroraZ said:
    Probably @pbgben in the Easter Thread. Sounds like one he put up there, but I can't be certain, and too lazy to check atm.

There is a reason I only give 10gb, any more for the same price and OP is running at a loss (or overselling) our margins are small but the performance we provide is unparalleled.

• m3gfm3gf Member

i think it is a good deal.

• Is there any big performance difference from the normal ssd in real life usage?

• bapbap Member

Good price :) Why not?

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2017

AnthonySmith said: If someone is using OVH for VPS hosting infrastructure they are not using anything custom or expensive so no snapshots I imagine.

I think what you said is somewhat true for distributed block storage, since you cannot run e.g. your own Infiniband storage cluster on OVH, but I don't see why custom hardware would be needed for just for snapshots. For example, we use OVH and offer snapshots.

• @pbgben said:

our margins are small but the performance we provide is unparalleled.

100% true

• ihellihell Member

@pbgben said:

@ihell said:

@AuroraZ said:

There is a reason I only give 10gb, any more for the same price and OP is running at a loss (or overselling) our margins are small but the performance we provide is unparalleled.

Is it true that you offer snapshots?

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@ihell said:

@pbgben said:

@ihell said:

@AuroraZ said:

Is it true that you offer snapshots?

Not true, we have no snapshot feature.

• Jesus that's a really good price, where can I sign up? lol

• Rootbox_kevin said:

Jesus that's a really good price, where can I sign up? lol

When I see a survey like this I figure it's because the OP is thinking of offering the service, and is testing the waters to see if anyone would want it.

• teamaccteamacc Member
    edited April 2017

@willie said:

Rootbox_kevin said:

When I see a survey like this I figure it's because the OP is thinking of offering the service, and is testing the waters to see if anyone would want it.

Generic avatar? Check
    Registered a few days/weeks ago? Check
    Name that could sell vpsses? Check
    Slowly getting to his postcount? Check

I think we should expect a provider tag near @vmhaus's name soon.

Look at the SP-64 offer from OVH, with 2x1.2tb nvme ssds. The specs mentioned in the OP would fit about 60 times in that amount, with montly costs being about 150 usd. This means OP would basically make 150 usd profit per server, if he can fill them, and before support and licenses costs.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2017

@teamacc said:

>

Domain registered recently? Check.

Domain name: vmhaus.com
    Registry Domain ID: 2108227321_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
    Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.namecheap.com
    Registrar URL: http://www.namecheap.com
    Updated Date: 2017-03-26T12:34:24.00Z
    Creation Date: 2017-03-26T12:34:21.00Z
    Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2018-03-26T12:34:21.00Z

Hosting company theme? Check.

• vmhausvmhaus Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@Harambe said:

@teamacc said:

>

Domain registered recently? Check.

Domain name: vmhaus.com
    > Registry Domain ID: 2108227321_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
    > Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.namecheap.com
    > Registrar URL: http://www.namecheap.com
    > Updated Date: 2017-03-26T12:34:24.00Z
    > Creation Date: 2017-03-26T12:34:21.00Z
    > Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2018-03-26T12:34:21.00Z

Hosting company theme? Check.

Yeah, you're right. We are starting a VPS node with NVMe storage in OVH. Why not? With our experience in virtualization and competitive pricing offered by OVH, we could run a profitable business. Although not huge amounts but its still a workable and sustainable model.

• Hetzner also has NVMe servers that you might look at.

• vmhausvmhaus Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@teamacc said:

@willie said:

Rootbox_kevin said:

Generic avatar? Check
    Registered a few days/weeks ago? Check
    Name that could sell vpsses? Check
    Slowly getting to his postcount? Check

I think we should expect a provider tag near @vmhaus's name soon.

Look at the SP-64 offer from OVH, with 2x1.2tb nvme ssds. The specs mentioned in the OP would fit about 60 times in that amount, with montly costs being about 150 usd. This means OP would basically make 150 usd profit per server, if he can fill them, and before support and licenses costs.

Definitely not running 60 VMs on a E3 KVM node. :)

• It's a normal price.. competitive and plus you get also ddos protection from OVH