Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Limited ports available over IPv6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Limited ports available over IPv6

DStroutDStrout Member
edited February 2013 in General

As I mentioned in a previous post, I recently got a StormVZ VPS in LA. Though it didn't come with IPv6, since it is in LA I opened a ticket and got 5 IPv6 addresses. However, they seem to be crippled in some way: they can't reach port 80. In fact, I did an nmap scan and the only reachable ports are 22 and 53. Yes, I have raised a ticket with them to resolve it, but this is strange because the same problem occurred with my BudgetVM VPS while I had it. Just wondering if anyone here has any idea why a problem like this would occur.

Comments

• Is ip6tables running?

• If its OpenVZ, this is more than likely ip6tables on the hardware node. Have you contacted Patrick (Although i gather he is overloaded at the moment).

• DStroutDStrout Member
    edited February 2013

@GetKVM_Ash I responded to the ticket in which the addresses were assigned. Didn't know he was overloaded, though that explains why the ticket took a day and a half to be answered. As to ip6tables, it is running, but AFAIK no rules that would cause this.

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited February 2013

@DStrout said: @GetKVM_Ash I responded to the ticket in which the addresses were assigned. Didn't know he was overloaded, though that explains why the ticket took a day and a half to be answered. As to ip6tables, it is running, but AFAIK no rules, especially not such restrictive ones.

There's a large DDoS ongoing at their UK location unfortunatly, so i gather he's tirelessly going back and forth with the DC trying to resolve that.

In regards to your issues i would suggest:

A) Disabling ip6tables completely and trying the ports again.
    B) If above fails i can almost guarantee ip6tables is running restricted on the HW node, in which case Patrick needs to make some new rules for those ports. You cant do this from within your VPS, he has to do it on the physical server.

Another problem is if they are using ARP/IP stealing protection on the hardware node, this can mess up IPv6.

Good luck!

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2013

Anyone remembers Hostrail (from mr. Constantinos)? They had exactly the same problem, that's why I cancelled my VPS with them (long before the whole thing went down in flames).

And yes, I think it's just ip6tables or some b/s like "ufw" being misconfigured on the hardware node.

• Well, whatever the problem, Patrick seems to have sorted it out. IPv6s all accessible now.

• @DStrout no problem, sorry for the delay! Been a busy week so far for us...

• @Patrick said: @DStrout no problem, sorry for the delay! Been a busy week so far for us...

:) As i thought.

• @Patrick how you solved?

• DStroutDStrout Member
    edited March 2013