Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wordpress backup
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wordpress backup

saf31saf31 Member

How do you backup your wordpress sites? What do you think is the most reliable method for doing this ? Thanks.

Comments

• files + DB o.O

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

@saf31 said:
    How do you backup your wordpress sites? What do you think is the most reliable method for doing this ? Thanks.

Thanked by 3Falzo Ympker raindog308
  • Use Backupbuddy

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Dump the db outside of the www folder, then rsync/ftp/mail it and the files in your www folder to another location.

zip/tar before transfer.

Thanked by 1saf31
  • I prefer updraftplus.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

https://wordpress.org/plugins/dreamobjects/

DreamObjects backup plugin has worked well. $0.025/GB but they only bill you once you hit $5.50 in total billings - so if you're just backing up WP sites it'll probably take you a few years before you see a charge.

Thanked by 2saf31 coreflux
  • quickquick Member

backupbuddy & let it upload to google drive

Thanked by 2saf31 coreflux
  • updraftplus ,send backup data by email

Thanked by 1saf31
  • db dump and www folder into a tar then rysnc to my backup server.

Thanked by 1saf31
  • @newers said:
    updraftplus ,send backup data by email

updraftplus with dropbox upload

Thanked by 1saf31
  • Either this plugin https://uk.wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/ or database+www folder download/ftp

• saf31 said: What do you think is the most reliable method for doing this ?

Personally, I'd go with VaultPress for WordPress. You have good choices here as well.

Thanked by 1saf31
  • k0nslk0nsl Member

UpdraftPlus + self-hosted Minio instance.

Thanked by 1bersy
  • bapbap Member
    edited March 2017

For me, using a backup plugin is the worst method when you are using unmanaged VPS. You need to build a web server, configuring vHost, install basic wordpress and add the related-backup-plugin into your WP before you can restore it.

And again, for me, the best method for backup a wordpress is zipping the whole WP { file + DB dump + vHost config (and SSL cert) } and then send this zip file to cloud storage (DropBox, GDrive, etc). You may want to create a script and schedulling it via cron.

#sory my bad English.

Thanked by 3raindog308 saf31 dtoker
  • quickquick Member

@bap said:
    For me, using a backup plugin is the worst method when you are using unmanaged VPS. You need to build a web server, configuring vHost, install basic wordpress and add the related-backup-plugin into your WP before you can restore it.

And again, for me, the best method for backup a wordpress is zipping the whole WP { file + DB dump + vHost config (and SSL cert) } and then send this zip file to cloud storage (DropBox, GDrive, etc). You may want to create a script and schedulling it via cron.

#sory my bad English.

no you don't need to setup a fresh wordpress to restore the backup (backupbuddy): you need only the gzip + one .php file and it restore everything.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Harambe said: DreamObjects backup plugin has worked well. $0.025/GB but they only bill you once you hit $5.50 in total billings - so if you're just backing up WP sites it'll probably take you a few years before you see a charge.

Ah...you can try it for 30 days, or sign up for a prepaid. I don't see where you can store for free until you hit $5.50...?

https://www.dreamhost.com/cloud/storage/

I think you have to deposit something to start. Which is not a negative, just saying...

Thanked by 1johnnymatt
  • sinsin Member

Just tar up your wordpress directory and dump your database (or use automysqlbackup to do daily, weekly, and monthly automatic mysql database backups)

• johnnymattjohnnymatt Member
    edited March 2017

I prefer old style for WP unless something different is necessary. I avoid WP Plugins on a VPS for backup because you add a good amount of useless php that has to be executed only 1 time every day. Here are my favourite actions unless i need something more specific:

• Configure and secure a small Storage VPS for SFTP (CentOS7)
    • Put a small script for Monitoring on VPS
    • Put a Script on client for all sites that tar.gz main folders, backup mariadb (gz) and sftp to destination (you find hundred sftp scripts on GITHUB)
    • Do a Cron Job on Client
    • GGWP
    Thanked by 1saf31
  • saf31saf31 Member
    edited March 2017

@johnnymatt said:

Any suggestion on scripts ? I am currently backing it up manually using filezilla and phpmyadmin. It would be very nice to automate the process. Is there any step by step tutorial ? Thanks.

edit: I found what I was looking for. https://codeable.io/backup-wordpress-dropbox-without-plugin/

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited March 2017

bash script. not a rocket science. automated too.

And also, I use version control for backup. E.g. git. I find it useful. Because one time I got infected or something, and I am able to choose which point in time I want to restore from.

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • hyndshynds Member

I'm using BackWPup plugin. It's very easy to use.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@raindog308 said:

Harambe said: DreamObjects backup plugin has worked well. $0.025/GB but they only bill you once you hit $5.50 in total billings - so if you're just backing up WP sites it'll probably take you a few years before you see a charge.

Ah...you can try it for 30 days, or sign up for a prepaid. I don't see where you can store for free until you hit $5.50...?

https://www.dreamhost.com/cloud/storage/

I think you have to deposit something to start. Which is not a negative, just saying...

I didn't have to deposit anything, just had to add a credit card and they validate it. If you have a Dreamhost account already, in the billing section you can see the Compute/Storage stuff and just start creating buckets.

It's not really something they advertise ($5.50 min payment), but I've had an account for a year now, here's my billing email for this month:

• Updraftplus - I like the option to create a separate rackspace container with it's own credentials for each site.

• The tech-savvy person may back up their sites manually. But, for me, being a non-technical person, I have to back up my WordPress site with a backup plugin. The most reliable method to me is to create backups with the most reliable backup plugin. So, I have tried many free WordPress plugins. At last, Updraftplus and WPvivid Backup/Restore meet my requirement, because they both cover the backup and restore features in their free version. Apart from one-click restore, the free version of both plugins support to create manual and scheduled backups and upload to cloud storage and more. They both works great on my site. With two millions active installations, Updraftplus is my final choice. However, WPvivid Backup/Restore works very well as a new plugin. In my opinion, it is very promising plugin and worth a try.

• Backwpup wordpress plugin

• eoleol Member

.sh
    .tar.xz

• HostYDHostYD Member, Host Rep

All-in-One WP Migration and UpdraftPlus WordPress Backup are really good plugins. Try one of them for backup.

• OP you didn't mention whether you are using shared hosting or a VPS/Dedi because backup method depends on the kind of hosting you are using.

• Interesting topic. I use updraftplus and some manual SFTP, but will bookmark this page for future reference.

• I hope OP has found a solution. This is from near 2 years ago.

Thanked by 2eol Janevski