Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

vi problem with debian
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

vi problem with debian

SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran
edited February 2013 in Help

Hi
Inspired from folks here, I thought try debian (as I have used only RHEL / Centos all along) , installed it on a KVM node and now weird problem I am facing that I can't properly use VIM with it. However, Pico is working fine.
If I press backspace, it acts as arrow key and also sometimes numbers are not working but outside VIM they are working fine.
I am using Putty for shell access. I tried VNC and same behavior is there so I thinks its not putty but shell..
I am using Bash ..
Searched a lot on internet and finally resorting here.
Any insight ?

Comments

• ln -s /etc/vim/vimrc ~/.vimrc

does that help?

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member
    edited February 2013

or
    :set nocp

• Try installing vim-nox. Should not have that behavior.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Saahib said: If I press backspace, it acts as arrow key and also sometimes numbers are not working but outside VIM they are working fine.

I use pico so much that I often forget to hit "i" when running VIM to go into insert mode. However...

@Saahib said: installed it on a KVM node

I frequently have issues with KVM console whether java or direct VNC client. Keys not being interpreted correctly, stuck keys, etc. There could be potential issues on the host node with the VNC. Also try the shift key as a modifier, even when not typically appropriate.

• StarryStarry Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2013

try
    apt-get update
    apt-get install -y vim

• this should fix it

apt-get install vim-nox